Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will there be a Pentax Full Frame camera on PhotoKina 2012?
YES 6625.78%
NO 19074.22%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 06:15 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Your way is mirror-less then, not DSLR
I agree. Pentax doesn't own some magic "shrinking-ray". There's only so much they can do...and their current staff doesn't seem to be as innovative as their staff from the film days.

08-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I agree. Pentax doesn't own some magic "shrinking-ray". There's only so much they can do...and their current staff doesn't seem to be as innovative as their staff from the film days.
You gotta be kidding... Pentax is as innovative as they've ever been. Using the SR for astrophotography and star tracking for instance is not innovative? R&D was much slower in the film days, because at that time all camera models were on sale much longer.

It's true that the system was much bigger in the film days, but that's because Pentax used P&S sales revenue for their loss-leaders (for instance the FA* lens series was never successful and very expensive).
08-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Using the SR for astrophotography and star tracking for instance is not innovative?

I haven't been following that. Is that a use Pentax championed or was it their users?
08-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #124
Veteran Member

Using the SR for astrophotography and star tracking for instance is not innovative?
That doesn't work good. BTW, the SR itself frequently doesn't work good as supposed to be (due to crappy QC)

08-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #125
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That doesn't work good. BTW, the SR itself frequently doesn't work good as supposed to be (due to crappy QC)
Not true. Could it be better? Sure. But, it consistently gives a couple of stops of benefit. That combined with the good high iso shooting of the K5 lets me take photos in almost any situation.
08-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting, I want a small FF, not a big APS-C!

Your way is mirroless then, not DSLR
Why ? My K-5 is small enough
08-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Why ? My K-5 is small enough
Samsung NX is smaller and lighter. I have no doubt the sensor in NX20 will be on par at least and most probably superior over K-5's one as well. Samsung pancakes are: lighter, cheaper and of higher optical quality compared to pentax stuff.
So I see no reason for the newcomers to buy pentax today. JUST NO REASON.
Pentax loses in every category now.

08-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Not true. Could it be better? Sure. But, it consistently gives a couple of stops of benefit. That combined with the good high iso shooting of the K5 lets me take photos in almost any situation.
Mine is turned off all the time, because it manages to cause blur even at 1/320
08-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #129
Banned

Original Poster
For now the difference between evil and dslr is the AF module in it that makes still a huge difference in AF speed and accurate under dim light.

Next to these nice little evil's: I don't see any serious photoreporter walking around with it, because they also have midgit little battery's that won't hold a days work.
08-22-2011, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #130
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Samsung NX is smaller and lighter. I have no doubt the sensor in NX20 will be on par at least and most probably superior over K-5's one as well. Samsung pancakes are: lighter, cheaper and of higher optical quality compared to pentax stuff.
AH AH AH, so, why do you have a K5 then ? you know, the grass always look greener elsewhere.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Next to these nice little evil's: I don't see any serious photoreporter walking around with it, because they also have midgit little battery's that won't hold a days work.
+1
08-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #131
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I haven't been following that. Is that a use Pentax championed or was it their users?
What came first, the chicken or the egg?
08-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #132
Site Supporter

They are great for P&S. However, without pancakes, they lose there size dividend. I sue an e-p1 & 17mm as my P&S. I also toy around with various manual glass, but toy around is the operative. I am going to replace it with the GF2 and maybe add the Oly 12mm/2 and 45/1.8 later and call it good. Serious stuff goes to the dSLR.
08-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
They are great for P&S. However, without pancakes, they lose there size dividend. I sue an e-p1 & 17mm as my P&S. I also toy around with various manual glass, but toy around is the operative. I am going to replace it with the GF2 and maybe add the Oly 12mm/2 and 45/1.8 later and call it good. Serious stuff goes to the dSLR.
Serious stuff doesn't go to the Pentax
That isn't a Pentax niche

Last edited by Emacs; 08-22-2011 at 09:46 AM.
08-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #134
Pentaxian

But we're talking about innovation, not QC issues. I'm sure the flashes in the Pentax SFX had issues too (the SFX was world's first SLR with a built-in TTL flash), just like the Pentax Z-1 had issues with the battery chamber cover breaking off. All innovations could suffer from crappy QC.
08-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Batteries can and will be improved and subsequent EVILs will be less power hungry, I'm sure.

Also, I think changing a battery is much less a nuisance than changing a roll of 35mm film. So how did the pro's pre-2000 cope with that problem? I have never seen photoreporters with 250 exposure backs

Honestly, I think we're just like spoiled kids... The K-5 is already WAY better than most of the pre-2000 professional SLR's, regardless of the brand.