Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2011, 02:50 AM   #1

K10D - Limited Custom Options?

I've had a K20D, K7, and K5... I just bought an used K10D (cheap, to try before giving to a friend)... it seems the menu is very limited? There are very few custom color options and custom image settings.

It seems there is not even a B+W option, except for a post-processing digital filter?

I use my K20D to shoot B+W... it seems that K10D has no B+W shooting options (except post)?

The menu seems so limited, it's like night and day, even compared to the K20D?

08-04-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Um...the K10d is older and things evolved after it. In many respects the K20d menu is very similar to the K10d but the K20d had more features. I don't view them as night and day, just more like the K20d is more evolved than the K10d.
08-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Inactive Account

just PP in PS. done.
08-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd rather do it PP than in the camera, I like my K10.

08-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I own a K10D, and, personally, I've never understood the point of a native in-camera B & W mode.

The sensor on any digital camera produces a color image. A true B & W sensor could probably be produced, but who would buy it? Given that the sensor produces a color image, why have the camera delete the color information? By keeping the color image, you can post-process it to B & W, either in camera or on your computer. The point is, you have the choice. Some images look better in color, some are better in monochrome.

In post processing, you may choose to go sepia tone, or with the right software, even go monochrome on only part of the picture. If you are starting with a B & W image, that is impossible.

But then, I don't produce very many monochrome images, so perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about. I just think that, even if you ARE producing a lot of them, it gives you much more flexibility to do it in PP.
08-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I own a K10D, and, personally, I've never understood the point of a native in-camera B & W mode.
I'll argue with that. [Who, me, argue?] I've always loved digicams with B&W modes, and not just sepia, but actual greyness. I wish my old film RFs, SLRs, TLRs, VFs had had B&W viewing filters! B&W is more about shape and texture and form, shadow and light, without all those damn distracting colours.

I shoot RAW in my K20D and I'm often in B&W with some filtration, so I can chimp the results and see if they're what I intended. I *may* decide to go colour-vivid in RAW development, or maybe not. I'm much LESS likely to desaturate a colour image in PP, likely because I'm distracted by the damn colours.