Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2011, 02:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I have an idea for this, and will report back if it works. You can get small, self adhesive plastic discs for covering screws on furniture, and irrc they're fairly rigid. Perhaps one of these would help, but not be so permanent that it couldn't be removed to use the feature.

08-06-2011, 04:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
That's not a bad idea that last one, hmmm....

As for which eye, I can use either, but I'm far more comfortable using my left eye and always end up defaulting to it for some reason without thinking. I'm a switch hitter when it comes to using my hands actually. I'm mainly R handed, at least in terms of writing and drawing, but I often find myself using my left hand a lot for certain things actually. I literally cannot golf or bat at softball right handed, for instance.
08-06-2011, 05:12 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I criticised the placement of this button when the camera came out. But all the fanboys said I was crazy. And they also said I couldn't critique the design of a camera I didn't own. Ha! If that was true then they also had no right to defend a camera they didn't own.

Well, I own it now and almost never use it. Annoying ergonomics compared to my K20D.

I agree that the best solution would be for customised buttons through the firmware. I sincerely hope that Ricoh starts producing much-enhanced firmware for Pentax cameras in the future. They only begin to reach their potential.
08-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #19
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Not many people can choose which hand to pick up a pen and write with. Not many people can choose which eye they favour when shooting.
Yes, but I was answering to this statement:

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
It doesn't seem to matter which eye I use.

As for which eye, I can use either, but I'm far more comfortable using my left eye and always end up defaulting to it for some reason without thinking.
I'm still confused on how you hit the button when you use your right eye. I can see how it's a problem if you use the left eye, because your nose will be all over controls.

I always wondered why no one is making cameras for left handed people - they may be a minority, but it's probably larger than some niche markets.

The O-ME53 may help a bit, by giving you a viewfinder that is farther away from the body.

08-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't use my R eye most of the time. That's my point. I can, but inevitably I end up using my L eye. I'm a natural leftie when it comes to photography apparently. Just because I can use my R doesn't mean it's very comfortable. It's like trying to use my L hand to write. I can, if I make myself, but it's not exactly the best idea, and I find it annoying most of the time.

I actually called my folks this morning to ask if I had ever shown signs of being a Leftie. I thought maybe since I tend to instinctively switch out doing some things to left handed that they'd trained me out of it or something, but they say not. It's easily apparent if you watch me that I am naturally ambidextrous to some extent. I absently switch off all the time when eating, doing manual tasks. But I cannot write well with my L hand or apparently use my R eye for photography without it feeling awkward.
08-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #21
Banned

Photos: Albums
I don't use my R eye most of the time. That's my point. I can, but inevitably I end up using my L eye.
Fine, but you said that no matter which eye you use, you still end up pushing the LV button. I am just curious how do you do that when you use your right eye. Or is your previous statement incorrect in that you only push the button when you use your left eye?
08-07-2011, 12:48 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, I kind of do with both, and don't ask me because I don't exactly know how, it just happens really, but more so I guess using my L eye. If I could train myself to use my R eye exclusively I guess I'd be doing it a lot less, but I can't seem to do that. I start out using the R eye and inevitably end up using the other one.