Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can You Permanently Turn Off Live View?

The LV button on my K-x is driving me nuts. I don't like using LV anyway. Like the video capacity it's just a non-essential for me, but I find myself hitting the button constantly and turning LV on as I go to look through the view screen. The manual just basically says how to use LV. What I want to know is it possible in the menu screens to turn it completely off so that won't happen? If so what else might it effect? I can still review pics with it off right?

If I can do it without hacking my K-x I'd really like to. It's a royal PITA having it on by default all the time. I'd like it off completely unless I want it on for some reason so that button doesn't constantly in the way. Maybe I am just being obtuse but I just don't see where to do it though under settings. Is it even possible?

Thanks!

08-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not found anywhere to do this. Shame the buttons are not configurable it would be nice to use that button for something useful....
08-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I'd like it off completely unless I want it on for some reason so that button doesn't constantly in the way. Maybe I am just being obtuse but I just don't see where to do it though under settings. Is it even possible?

Thanks!
Tape thin sheet of cardboard over it with black electrical tape. I used a small piece of stick-on foam next to the stupidly-placed ISO button on one of my Canon P&Ss to keep my thumb from sliding over it.
08-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Tape thin sheet of cardboard over it with black electrical tape. I used a small piece of stick-on foam next to the stupidly-placed ISO button on one of my Canon P&Ss to keep my thumb from sliding over it.
I was going to suggest gluing the button or prying it off, but this is better.

08-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

LV can be useful for astro or macro. I wouldn't permantently disable the button until you know you wont ever be doing either.
08-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It doesn't seem to matter which eye I use. I keep accidentally turning on the LV with my nose, I guess. It's not like I have a huge schnozz either so I am thinking that this button being where it is just isn't the best idea! I can't see how just taping cardboard over it will help with that. I'll just hit the cardboard and probably push it anyway. The cardboard will only make it that much closer, won't it?
08-05-2011, 02:10 AM   #7
Inactive Account

It doesn't seem to matter which eye I use. I keep accidentally turning on the LV with my nose, I guess. It's not like I have a huge schnozz either so I am thinking that this button being where it is just isn't the best idea! I can't see how just taping cardboard over it will help with that. I'll just hit the cardboard and probably push it anyway. The cardboard will only make it that much closer, won't it?
Sorry but...

lmao

Other than gluing the button so it doesn't move (wouldn't recommend that but let it dry thoroughly before using the camera if you do otherwise, you may glue your face to the camera as well ), I have no suggestions for you but that was just plain funny...

08-05-2011, 02:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Try finding a way to make the rubber surround on the eyepiece larger/deeper ? then you may not need to 'press up' against the camera so much ?

Meh.. just a random suggestion from a random...
08-05-2011, 03:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I glued mine
08-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I keep accidentally turning on the LV with my nose
Same here! It's annoying. I've lost several good shots because of it.

I've just learnt to be careful about keeping my snout away from the LV button.

The Pentax OME53 Magnifying Eyepiece can also help avoid the problem by increasing the distance between eye and camera back.

This is however the sort of simple thing that should be settable in firmware.
08-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I keep accidentally turning on the LV with my nose, I guess. It's not like I have a huge schnozz...
I do have a rather well endowed olfactory organ, and I also keep hitting this damn button with it. You're not alone, it's got a horrible placement considering what it does. It should at least have a "Disable LV" setting in the menu.
08-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Other than gluing the button so it doesn't move <...>, I have no suggestions for you
Well, if we can't fix the button, the next option is: can we fix the nose?

Seriously now - how can you press that button if you're using the right eye? You must be holding the camera wrong - no nose should find itself over the Lv button if you're holding the camera against the right eye - the buttons should either be to the right of the nose or above it. The only way you can hit the buttons is if you hold the camera in vertical position with the bottom of the camera body facing left - it should be held so it faces right.
08-06-2011, 12:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Not many people can choose which hand to pick up a pen and write with. Not many people can choose which eye they favour when shooting.

One eye is always stronger than the other, and for me, manual focus suffers (and so do I, from eye strain) if trying to force myself to use my right eye to shoot for any length of time.
08-06-2011, 12:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'd suggest punching a hole in the cardboard the size of the button. This would have the effect of further recessing the button and making it harder to actuate. Another possibility would be to surround the button with a donut of self stick Velcro (the loop side). Self stick rubber padding would also work, and might be found indifferent thicknesses which might be handy. Either would be black and inconspicuous, and soft enough to be easy on the nose. You can cut out extras and keep them in your camera kit.

Scott
08-06-2011, 01:19 AM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

LV isn't my favoured method of viewing, but it does have its uses, particularly when shooting from above shoulder height. I wouldn't permanently disable the LV button in any way for that reason alone.