Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Share portraits with eye focus

Please share your pictures with portraits or anything with where eye were kept as a primary focus point, mainly I am interested to see this in wide aperture.
The aim being, at wide apertures due to the tiny DOF I am trying to understand how much of out of focus area is in the frame and how that helps / not helps the complete picture, therefore want to see whether shooting instead at f4 by default will be a good choice or not!

I request members to share their images that were deliberately shot focusing into the eyes when they captured it on field (instead of cropping the image to show how sharp the eye were in focus)

Hope I am not duplicating any thread already existing!

Last edited by sany; 08-06-2011 at 11:31 AM.
08-06-2011, 06:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Not exactly what you wanted but when it comes to 'eyes' and photography, the Afghan girl is the most famous. Not sure what aperture it was shot at though...

"Steve McCurry's Afghan Girl photo, which appeared on the cover of the June 1984 National Geographic Magazine, was named "the most recognised photograph" in the history of the magazine. This was primarily due to her piercing sea-green eyes, staring straight at the camera, resulting in a very striking and appealing portrait".

Afghan Girl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taken from:
The Importance of Eyes in Portrait Photography : Martin Pot - Photography Blog
08-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
It also depends on your focal length and distance. So your 35mm wil be different from your 85mm at the same aperture.

Look in my map at 500px there are some portraits 500px / Ron Hendriks still busy with putting them up (but that takes time).
08-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Heres one taken with my SMCTak 85mm f1.8

Maybe to close and from an angle but still:
http://martinrodensjo.smugmug.com/Family/Grönhögen/i-nDKKhcF/0/X3/untitled-22-X3.jpg

Im not sure if this was at 1.8 or a step down.

Last edited by aliasant; 08-07-2011 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Replaced the image with a link to it instead.
08-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
great, thanks for sharing images and your views. Keep it coming guys!
08-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a discussion thread. I'm pretty sure photo threads have to go in a photo sharing thread.
08-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
This is a discussion thread. I'm pretty sure photo threads have to go in a photo sharing thread.
I am not sure whether what you are claiming is right, if this is a wrong place - apologies to the moderator and please feel free to move this thread around to the right place.

Having said that, I personally think - almost every thread if not all have some sort of picture posted in the discussions universally. I think there are photo threads where people post and share their pictures where people comment about the pictures. There are discussion threads, where you add pictures to reinstate or reinforce your comments and to explain what you are training to state.

Infact for example, straightforward example are the lens reviews where people post pictures - would you classify that as a picture thread or a discussion thread. Pictures are necessary - afterall it is a photography forum.

Apologies if I had offended you.

08-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Taken with K-x FA50mm 1.4 @ f2.2

https://plus.google.com/photos/100980061197853328827/albums/5628242322163021...87755010?hl=en
08-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aliasant Quote
Heres one taken with my SMCTak 85mm f1.8

Maybe to close and from an angle but still:
http://martinrodensjo.smugmug.com/Family/Grönhögen/i-nDKKhcF/0/X3/untitled-22-X3.jpg

Im not sure if this was at 1.8 or a step down.
Beautiful!

Sany,

For a close photo of a particular width in the viewfinder (like a head shot portrait) dof depends only on f-number and not on the focal length lens you use.

For a portrait type head shot 1 meter high f/4 should get the whole head in focus (but not the background) for any focal length.

=================== math you don't need to know follows===========================
The equation is:

Scene.depth/scene.width ~ (f/number/12)(scene.width.meters)

So f/number ~ 12(scene.depth/scene.width)/scene.width.meters

f/number ~ 12(.3/1)/1 ~ 3.6

Last edited by newarts; 08-10-2011 at 06:51 PM.
08-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks aliasant, RickyFromVegas for those images I am starting get some confidence. Newarts, I am aware of the f/number being the decision maker - but I only was after images to see why /where such a tiny DOF would be useful/used on portraits>whether there is a requirement for that kind at all. From aliasant and ricky's I am starting to see a point.

Also thanks for that equation which I would have never known.