Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2011, 06:04 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
kx and cables!

Does anyone have any light to shine on why there is NO cable release options on this damn camera? I have just bought the lovely cheap (works superbly by the way) Combi wireless flash unit. It also has a cable so I can remotely use the camera. I was also about to buy the dedicated cable release to use when wanting that option. I now find out the only 'port' in the Kx is for 'video pc'. this to me is just too bizarre for words and now will have to pay extra money for a wirless remote cable release. Any one know why this is so???? Or is there any cables which do fit in the 'video pc' port.
On abrighter note this Combi is much cheaper than the pocket wizard and it is working really well.

08-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
on the K-x you can't use cable to release the shutter, you have to use some infra red remote.

Or you can use this tethering program which allow you to connect your K-x to the PC, take picture with the K-x and save them on the Pc.
PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras
08-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
Gosh I would need a long tether if I have to drag the TV with me!
08-06-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

This is Pentax's entry level line. The K100 and K200 had both wired and IR shutter release capabilities, however starting with the K2000/Km, Kx and Kr, the remote went to IR only. The only reason I can offer is feature differentiation between the entry and advanced level camera bodies.

Another feature is bracketing - since its enabled on the same menu, you can't have the remote IR or 2 second delay and bracketing enabled together, its either one or the other.

All the vendors do this to varying extents. Canon and Nikon do the same thing. Some bodies have AF motors (screw-drive) and others don't, for example.

08-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
Yes of course, I had not thought of that effect on bracketing etc. Only really want it for long exposures so not a big problem, though the delay would be useful in that situation. I find the fiddly little remote thingy very annoying, as one: have to try and find the teeny little button, and two: holding the damn thing virtually in front of the camera and not daring to move! Looks like I shall have to save the pennies and go up a bit. Thanks for the info.
08-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe that the Kx and Kr has an option to set the body to toggle the shutter via the remote. So on the first push the shutter opens, and on the next push the shutter closes. That way, you don't have to wear out your thumb and try to stay in front of the IR sensor...

Check your manual. I remember reading this in a post - I don't have a Kx to try it on, just my old trusty K20....

08-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Pclix Intervalometer has an IR cable. Kind of pricey though. Au$146.10 for the remote & Au$ 21.43 for the cable.

Pclix XT | Intervalometer | Time-Lapse Triggering | Canon 5D Recording | Video Camera Triggering
08-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I believe that the Kx and Kr has an option to set the body to toggle the shutter via the remote. So on the first push the shutter opens, and on the next push the shutter closes. That way, you don't have to wear out your thumb and try to stay in front of the IR sensor...

I can confirm it, I just used the option the other day trying to catch some lightning. One push opens the shutter, another one closes it. I believe it's set through the custom menu.

08-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by agsy Quote
I believe it's set through the custom menu.
Indeed it is:

K-x menu
> Custom Settings
> Item 12 'Remote control shooting in bulb mode'
> Mode 1
08-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #10

Lack of cable release is a real pain, the Kx also stops responding to the IR remote after about 5 minutes, so long exposures over that time cannot be stopped with the remote. You may find something like this a better option, DIY or find one on ebay.

I am about to go K5 and get my cable release back again! Yay!
08-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #11

oops double post
08-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Actually the Canon T*i series seem less crippled, both have AF motors and cable release sockets.

But anyway, the lack of a cable release on a K-x was one of the key reason I bought a K-5 (other being AF adjust by lens). Ironically having bought a K-5 and cable release, I find I don't actually need teh cable release because the K-5 has this fantastic drive more which is timer+bracket! It's just a software feature, Pentax could easily put it into the Kx/Kr series, but chose not too
08-08-2011, 05:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
It's just a software feature, Pentax could easily put it into the Kx/Kr series, but chose not too
It kills me knowing how easily Pentax could improve on the K-x just by updating the firmware (such as allow auto ISO in manual for TAv mode, timer for HDR, timer bracketing as you mentioned, etc...). But no...we would have to upgrade to higher end...I still love my K-x .