Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Dilemna: What to buy my Pentax-envious fiancee?

My fiancee came to visit me in Vienna while I was there for work last month. After a few days of seeing and photographing the city, she tells me she wants a "camera like mine." We agreed whatever we get, it would be a Pentax, so we can share lenses (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it >;-)))) ).

So what should I buy? I'd really like to upgrade from my K-r to a K-5, but I think the prices will still drop. I could then give her my K-r.

B&H has a nice price on the K-7 body, but I'm not sure that's the right route.

B&H also has a super deal on a K-r with a 35mm f/2.4 lens with it.

Or maybe I should buy her the sexy red K-r body with a Tamron 17-70mm, f-2.8.

Any suggestions? I will be criticized and suffer, regardless of the choice. Anybody want to help a brother out to lessen the pain?

Thanks for any suggestions.

08-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi, I would buy her a K-r or upgrade yourself to a K-5 and give her your K-r
08-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
.... or upgrade yourself to a K-5 and give her your K-r
If you did that, you would never hear the end of it - regardless of how sensible and practical it would be....

08-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
yeah, I.O., I'm tracking with you. Thus, my dilemna. I don't want to say my beloved is a B****, but, she's the boss. She probably wouldn't clue in initially, but eventually, I'm going to pay for that decision. I really like the B&H combo with the 35mm - seems like a sweet deal. Really tempted, as soon as my per diem shows up.

08-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If she likes red cameras, why not get her the Grand Prix 645D? That will cure her Pentax envy for sure, but you may develop an acute case.
08-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Don't consider Buying a K-5 unless you plan on giving it to her. It is an amazing camera to use. But it would not be a good relationship starter for you to save the best one for yourself. If you are having money issues. I would buy her a K-r because then you would both have equal cameras that you could compete for the best picture from. Another option would be to buy her a K-7 and see how that works for her because it has a smaller body wich is better for ladies hands because they tend to be slightly smaller, and later when the price drops get a K-5 that you and her would both share if you wish.
08-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If she buys herself a Canon, you'll know the relationship is over.

08-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #8

Original Poster
Rio Rico, thanks for the kind words. She'd never cheat on me. She's a lady of substance and has discriminating tastes. She's a Pentax Lady in the making. Eat your heart out.
08-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #9

"honey, you wanted something just like mine, so I am giving you MY camera. Oh, this new one? Eh, it's a heavier, bulkier version of yours."

I don't see a problem with that. Haha, or maybe a K-x? Depends on your $ situation I guess. She may not even like the K-7/K-5 layout and size.
08-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It's better for you to upgrade to K-5 then give her your K-r. Upgrading to K-5 is a one-time-big-time upgrade. But I prefer to upgrading to K-7 because you save up some cash and put the extra cash for the budget of getting a better lens. You can't go wrong with the K-7, and even better if you have a good glass mounted on it. =)
08-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been married 30 years, in that time I think I have upgraded cameras 5 times. Each time I have passed the old one to my wife and got the new one for me. She has been happy because I had used it enough to be able to teach her all the tricks and she never cared about getting a new camera. But she is a one in a million or maybe 10 million.....

If it were me I would get the k-5 and pass the k-r on. But I'm not sure I would try that until after you are married.

May not work for everyone but what I have ALWAYS done is ask: Honey, I am going to get a new camera, would you like my old one or do you want me to get you a new one as well. At least that way you know and she shared in the decision. And trust me, that is really important if you want it to last. (The marriage I mean. The camera is on you
08-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

How about his-n-hers K5's? Engraved, of course.

BTW my other uses Bronica but I don't hold a grudge.
08-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm sure you can find a Pentax branded keychain somewhere
08-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Man guys, you all make it seem like women are materialistic and care only about having the shinniest toy. I just bought myself a k5 and am handing my k-x to my girlfriend. She's not too knowledgeable in photographer (she knows the basics like aperature, iso, etc.) So she feels 100% fine with owning the k-x. Although the beautiful white k-x body may contribute a factor, as it looks much more appealing than the dull black k5 =P. Anyways, best of luck to your decision.
08-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #15

Original Poster
I appreciate everyone's advice. I'm leaning towards a K-7 for me with a Sigma 18-55 or a Tamron 17-70. I'll give her the K-r. I don't think she'll be upset. But if she is, it will be simply, "No, I'm taking that camera. this one is yours." She doesn't sugarcoat it. Ever.