Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Reading all these posts makes me wonder what kind of women you guys have all been hanging out with, really. I was absolutely thrilled to get someone's K-x when he upgraded, still am. I am not jealous at all that the guy that I got my K-x from has a shiny new K-5. I'm delighted for him actually.

A K-r is an $800 plus camera I would think anyone would be delighted to own. Lex's fiance sounds like a level headed type but if she were to give him heck for not buying her a new camera? Well, all I can say is he'd better RUN away before he marries someone like that because that would signify something he might not much like for future reference.

Not all women are that materialistic guys....

08-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #17

Original Poster
She's actually a sweetheart, but if you put camera X next to camera Y, regardless of whichever one I purchased second, she'll decide which one she wants. Her choice.

I'm pretty lucky - I travel 5 months or more out of the year overseas (that's how I met her). So, if I don't go crazy on my trips, I get a nice check when I return that I can splurge on stuff, and save some, too.

She's not a gold digger. Never seen a girl squeeze more out of a Euro than her!
08-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two options:

1 - get her a red K-r.
2 - get her a DA40 pancake to use with your K-r when you give it to her.

I've got a Pentaxiana myself. Got her a red K-x and a DA40. Now when she walks around NYC with that combo, she thinks that people are staring at her chest when they are really just eying the camera LOL!

Here she is happy as a clam on a winter hike with my DA16-50:

Sharing lenses is very convenient.
08-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lex Madera Quote
So, if I don't go crazy on my trips, I get a nice check when I return that I can splurge on stuff, and save some, too.
Sounds like a plan, per diems / site allowances rock!

I worked with a guy from Sweden on a project a couple of years ago. He was on site for 10 months, saved most of site allowances, stayed of the booze, ate at the site canteen, didnt go out much (hey is in his late 60's anyway).
When he finished he bought himself an EXACAVATOR for his farm, seriously.

Buy her a new K-r & "matching" 35/2.4, and let her try whatever you've got (assume its 18-55 & "others")
If its only next year somtime, wait until the K-"3" ? (RK-3?) or whatever comes out before considering upgrading yours, unless you seriously need it.
If you can afford to upgrade right now after less than 1 year, you can afford to buy her a NEW K-r.

08-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

"she wants a camera like mine"

How hard can this be? Buy her a new K-r. Buying yourself a K-5 and giving her your old K-r is not a smart plan, it may sound smart to us guys, but most grils aren't going to be too impressed with that "gift". Better yet, buy 2 K-5's and then you have one each
08-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Take her into the store with you, and have her try out the different models. Make sure that she knows going in that you are not going to pick anything up that day. Go back a couple of days later on your own and pick up the model she likes, plus something extra, like another (inexpensive) lens. Also get a smallish gift card so she can go back whenever she wants to get a bag, etc.
08-08-2011, 04:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lex Madera Quote
My fiancee came to visit me in Vienna while I was there for work last month. After a few days of seeing and photographing the city, she tells me she wants a "camera like mine."
I think the two of you should fly to Japan and pick up a Q for her.

08-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
I think the two of you should fly to Japan and pick up a Q for her.
No no, it sounds like he wants to keep this one.
08-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Simple; get the K5 with the "better" photographer getting more hands-on time!
08-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #25
Banned

There are more colours of K-r available. Yellow, blue and some others. What is her favorite colour.
08-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Giving a hand-me-down to a fiance is a serious test of the relationship; I wouldn't risk it unless you are trying to establish an order of precedence.

If she acquiesces I'm not sure she'd be a good helper in life - if she doesn't acquiesce maybe that indicates she'll try to dominate! Sigh.

I think a red kx might be grand - but it will be wise ask her what she'd prefer.

Perhaps these cameras can be "ours" rather than "yours" and "mine"? Which camera gets used by who depends on circumstances.

Last edited by newarts; 08-08-2011 at 03:07 PM.
08-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #27

Original Poster
I know she would like the idea of a red K-r. Going in to a camera store is a little problematic - we don't live near each other. And her financial situation doesn't allow her to "go Dutch." I really like that B&H combo with the 35mm, and maybe, if it works out, the Tamron 17-70mm. Seems like a sweet lens. Maybe she'll let me try it out, too. >;-))))
I have the two kit lenses (18-55 & 50-300; plus a DA 55mm/1.4.) Just ordered an 18-135mm.

If you don't like the post - don't read it! I asked an opinion, and I appreciate those that have responded.
08-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #28
Veteran Member

haha... interesting reads guys.

I got a K-5 and wonder if my fiancee wants to inherit the K200d or I can get her a K-r, she said "sell the K200d and get some cash better" -- I really wants to keep the 200d as that is my first dSLR...

She likes to go photograph things with me (she will say "hey this is nice, take a photo of this?") but she think dSLR is too complicate for her (even though she has a phd in Chem Eng)...

Lee
08-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #29

Photos: Albums
Although the K5 Is tempting, I am very happy with my K7. For now K7 is a better deal than the K5 but when the price cones down that will change..!
08-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Also, may I ask where you got the idea you should just buy this for her? If she really wants to be your camera buddy, offer her friendly advice and options, but let her buy in on her own. To do otherwise, should things NOT work out for you as a couple (the probability is very high that you are both wasting time), you may see "your" gifted gear for sale on Craigslist for nearly nothing near what you paid.
Oh gosh, that is just cynical in the extreme. Has it really gotten so bad now in the land of LTR's that a person can't simply buy a nice gift for someone they love without someone else wondering aloud (or vaguely implying anyway) if said potential gift recipient is a gold digger? Maybe he just wants to do something nice for the woman he loves and plans to marry? We are talking about a CAMERA not a mansion here! In any case all she said apparently was that she wanted a camera like his. Maybe she can afford her own gear? Maybe he just wants to surprise her and make her smile?