Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #31
Banned

Original Poster
Thanks for all the inputs. here is some of my works with K 7 and Sigma 17-70 , 10-20.. let me know what you guys think. Thanks, D

All sizes | IMGP8822 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

08-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #32
Banned

Original Poster
Flickr: dr_romix's Photostream
08-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
wouldn't 20mm FF be better than 15mm APS-C?
Both of those focal lengths are equally bad for portraiture, though the DA15mm f/4 has better flare suppression characteristics than many UWA lenses for 35mm - the canon EF 17-40L being a zoom doesn't hold a candle to the DA15mm f/4* in that regard - especially when you consider the filter factor = 77mm Vs 49mm filters. Though the DA15mm f/4 has a built in lens hood which I consider to be rather superfluous considering it's outstanding resistance to flare. And the built in lens hood it makes it difficult to use square filter systems like the Lee filter system.

*especially when you take into account how damn small the DA15mm f/4 is, especially compared to your average UWA zoom lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
maybe I should just rethink my methods and increase my comfortable shooting distance, so I can use longer lenses to minimize broad shoulders.
that would be the technique I would recommend Andi.
08-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax gives you good and quality images. Before, with my *ist DS (6mp CCD sensor), I can achieve good prints up to 40x50 prints for my wedding clients. So, what would be your reason of upgrading to FF camera? Are you going to print large format prints regularly? If no, it's a waste of money to upgrade to FF if you only print up to album size prints and/or just post photos in internet portfolios.
Talk about lenses, if you want Pentax lenses, replace your Sigma 10-20mm to Pentax 12-24mm. 10mm vs 12mm is just a tiny difference, in 12mm just lean back a bit if you want to get more elements in your frame. Then, replace your 17-70mm with Pentax 16-50mm. And regarding on the focal length of 70-200mm, the Sigma 70-200mm is a good lens. There's a Pentax 80-200mm f/2.8, but it was discontinued, and rare to find. The Sigma is a good lens for your K7, especially if you usually shoot for wedding. But, if you're the kind of photographer that shoots under heavy and ugly weather or muddy or dusty situation, the Pentax 50-135mm is the best choice. =)

Last edited by richard balonglong; 08-08-2011 at 10:04 PM.
08-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
For a slightly contrary view, I shoot both Pentax (K-7 and K20D) and Canon FF (1Ds) at the moment.

If I were embarking on a career doing wedding or assignment photography I would choose Canon, for two reasons.

First, it's more reliable under pressure. The autofocus and exposure are perfect every time. Unfortunately, I can't say that about the K-7 even with DA* or Limited lenses.

Second, the files from the 9-year-old,11 meg 1Ds are richer and cleaner than anything I get from Pentax when printed at 20x30. Extensive postprocessing on the Pentax files narrows the gap, but even with a lot of work on the Pentax files the differences are not subtle, and anyone can see them.

The 1Ds and an L 20-35/2.8 lens, bought used, cost me about the same ($1,250) as a K-5 body alone. While it's slow and heavy and the screen sucks, the images are drop dead gorgeous.

So why keep the Pentax gear? Because I like Pentax. It's fine for most uses. The gear is light, unobtrusive and weather resistant, and that 1Ds weighs as much as a cinderblock.
In all fairness, though, you are comparing the Canon to the Pentax cameras that many feel have the worst sensors ever. The sensors in the K-x/K-r and especially the K-5 grade out significantly better than the Canon 1Ds.

I agree that if one is embarking on a pro career, Canon (or Nikon) might be a better choice, especially if one avoids Canon's low-tier DSLR entries, which suffer from poor build quality. I haven't used any Canon FF, but I have used th e lower-end Canons and Nikons along with Pentax and have found all of them to provide roughly the same experience with AF (although I haven't tried tracking AF). If one enjoys lenses, then Pentax of course had a huge advantage with body-based SR, although of course Canon & Nikon have a more extensive range of newer lenses.
08-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dr_romix Quote
Thanks for all the inputs. here is some of my works with K 7 and Sigma 17-70 , 10-20.. let me know what you guys think. Thanks, D

All sizes | IMGP8822 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Well, looking at your Flickr, I'm seeing mostly (nice) snapshot-ish stuff, so I don't think you have to worry about your K7 not keeping up with you. Do you have any examples of your wedding photography?
08-09-2011, 01:31 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
For a slightly contrary view, I shoot both Pentax (K-7 and K20D) and Canon FF (1Ds) at the moment.

Second, the files from the 9-year-old,11 meg 1Ds are richer and cleaner than anything I get from Pentax when printed at 20x30. Extensive postprocessing on the Pentax files narrows the gap, but even with a lot of work on the Pentax files the differences are not subtle, and anyone can see them.
Well I don't know the Canon but I did have K20D and K-7. I say, sell them both and buy a K-5 and you will be surprized about the enourmous step forward in image quality.
08-09-2011, 03:46 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Both of those focal lengths are equally bad for portraiture, though the DA15mm f/4 has better flare suppression characteristics than many UWA lenses for 35mm - the canon EF 17-40L being a zoom doesn't hold a candle to the DA15mm f/4* in that regard - especially when you consider the filter factor = 77mm Vs 49mm filters. Though the DA15mm f/4 has a built in lens hood which I consider to be rather superfluous considering it's outstanding resistance to flare. And the built in lens hood it makes it difficult to use square filter systems like the Lee filter system.

*especially when you take into account how damn small the DA15mm f/4 is, especially compared to your average UWA zoom lens.

that would be the technique I would recommend Andi.
Thanks for the reply Digitalis. I'll rethink what I should do in the future regarding the combo. I'll probably still get the 5D for the other reasons anyway (70-200/4 etc etc), but staying full pentax doesn't seem so bad either.

08-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Think of Wedding photography like real estate:
1)Lighting
2)Lighting
3)Lighting
08-12-2011, 04:01 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've been told by pro that I need to gear up to either FF or APC-H sensor in the future for better quality images.

Derek
Derek, how big prints are you going to make? Because I suspect you won't see any difference in formats less than A3...
...the advantage of jumping to Canon or Nikon would be that their services are wide spread and pretty much everywhere...

Last edited by vrrattko; 08-12-2011 at 04:10 AM.
08-12-2011, 04:51 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I have at home a canvasprint 120 x 70 cm made with K-7 and that is wonderfull. From a wedding the message of an image is far more important then the simple image quality people would buy a fine art print in a gallery. I think that with a K-5 and up to iso800 you can make awesome pictures. If they want more, maybe you should direct your wedding couple into some more light.
08-12-2011, 05:03 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
... maybe you should direct your wedding couple into some more light.
or bring some of your own.
08-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
or bring some of your own.
Like this:

But I saw some ledlight that was aranged around the cameralens, but was not a little ringled but really large 50x50 cm or so. It was used on FTV (Fasion TV) at some event. Looked like a big bundle of light.
08-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Canikon. You won't get better quality results, but if you're not already heavily invested you'll have more options for lenses and flash systems/accessories that route.
08-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Some thoughts :

Lenses : When deciding between Pentax and Canikon; firstly decide what is the max you can afford to pay (e.g max $1,500 per lens). What range of lenses are you going to use (e.g. you can discount anything over say 200mm(APS-C) or 300mm (FF) for Wedding photography or UWA because of distortion. Include only IS lenses. Now after deleting all those lenses from your lists that don't meet your criteria see how large your lense selection is with each manufacturer, you are going to be surprised.

Don't discount high quality MF lenses (fantastic quality but much cheaper) - especially for group shots, from 20mm to 28mm they are essentially AF lenses if set to e.g f8 and focused at (for example as obviously this varies slightly depending on the FL used) 4.5m as everyone in your group will be in focus (focus being from ca. 2.5m to infinity) !

Upgrade immediately to a K5 - for the low noise and high DR - and see how your interior photos improve by leaps and bounds.

FF - better if you want low DoF shots, and this is a reason I'm considering a D700 to add to my K5. Better for wide not for long.

APS-C : better for length (a 200 on crop = 300 on FF) not for width.

Pentax : ditch any non high quality lenses you have and get DA* or Ltd lenses (or 3rd party equivalent) only. Remember that the DR you will get from the K5 will out-perform the Canon 5dII.

IS : this is huge IMO. You are often working interiors and sometimes flash will not be permitted. The in-camera SR of the Pentax cameras allied to f2.8 (or even lower fl primes) lenses is going to get you far more keepers than any Canikon non-stabilised lenses. If you buy those same f2.8 IS lenses then they are going to cost you a lot lot more.

Don't discount the value of WR at a wedding ! If you're using e.g. the K5+DA* 50-135 you aren't going to miss a beat ! You can get that with a 5dII or a D700 .. but lenses are another (very expensive) matter !

You will get more improvement from your photography by changing to the K5, comprehensively learning fill flash and taking some photography lessens, than any change to any FF camera/lens combo.

Good Luck !

Last edited by Frogfish; 08-12-2011 at 08:13 AM.