Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #46

Currently have some Canon gear (7D, 10-22, 50mm, 100mmL) but have ordered a K5 with 15/43/77 (I like the overall size, the body ergonomics and the ltds). So I will hopefully be able to post some comparative information here in a couple of weeks :-)

08-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mchis Quote
Currently have some Canon gear (7D, 10-22, 50mm, 100mmL) but have ordered a K5 with 15/43/77 (I like the overall size, the body ergonomics and the ltds). So I will hopefully be able to post some comparative information here in a couple of weeks :-)
that would be great to read some comparison ... I'm looking forward to it
08-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mchis Quote
Switch out that 7D for a 5dII and you're set !
08-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #49

A little too late as the Pentax gear is on its way to me. Plus a 5Dmk2 based system would have required a budget I cannot justify as an amateur photographer. Even the k5 + lenses is a little over the fence ;-)

08-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #50
Pentaxian

I was just visiting an old friend who has a studio where he does both weddings and portraits. He had on his wall all sorts of demo pictures. Some were cropped for an aspect 16x20 and 20x24 size. He shoots a D3x. He says its all about the prints and more MP gives him more flexibility for cropping. He is not selling web display.
08-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #51
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I was just visiting an old friend who has a studio where he does both weddings and portraits. He had on his wall all sorts of demo pictures. Some were cropped for an aspect 16x20 and 20x24 size. He shoots a D3x. He says its all about the prints and more MP gives him more flexibility for cropping. He is not selling web display.
+1 on that, a good reason for Pentax to join the FF club.
08-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
or to get the new sony sensor with even more MP

(just kidding)

But, we all now that the FF market is not enought "profitable" for a new player. Unless pentax succed in producing some very compact FF, something close to the MZ series. A FF with the size of a 4/3 probably impossible ... except for Pentax

08-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
He shoots a D3x. He says its all about the prints and more MP gives him more flexibility for cropping
I'll point out the Nikon D3X is in the same price range* as the 645D so there is even less of a reason for pentax to go FF.

*and is capable of providing superior image quality.
08-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I'll point out the Nikon D3X is in the same price range* as the 645D so there is even less of a reason for pentax to go FF.

*and is capable of providing superior image quality.
The subject is DSLRs. He purchased his gear before there was a 645D. Should he buy into a new brand?
08-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
He purchased his gear before there was a 645D. Should he buy into a new brand?
only if he wants to print bigger and have even more freedom to crop his images.
08-15-2011, 04:53 AM   #56
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
But, we all now that the FF market is not enought "profitable" for a new player. Unless pentax succed in producing some very compact FF, something close to the MZ series. A FF with the size of a 4/3 probably impossible ... except for Pentax

+1 !!

Unlike 645D: A great advance and trump-card for Pentax would be a nicely designed compact and solid as well FF-digireflex! Would be unprecedented

This would still be the best and strongest strategy for Pentax, since Spotmatic and ME/MX!

Jan.
08-24-2011, 05:30 AM   #57

Okay, the K5 + 15+43+77 is with me for one week now. Probably I would have had to wait a little longer before I post, but anyway, I can come back with additions and clarifications if appropriate. For the sake of consistency, I've used the 7D for more than 1 year. Please bear with me as I'm an amateur, and probably some of the explanations will be amateurish.

So, I'll start with the overall conclusion: the 7D goes for sale. That's the conclusion. The K5 is not a revolution, but in most aspects it is what I was expecting. Smaller, competitive regarding the 7D, and the ltd lenses have that something special I missed at Canon.

- Color: wonderful, but the 7D was not bad either - a draw here. Probably lenses count here.
- Dynamic range, K5 advantage, and by a big margin. Underexposure can be revived with fill light without the huge chroma noise that 7D had in such cases.
- Sharpness - K5 seems better, not by a fantastic margin, but it seems better
- ISO performance - luminance noise absolutely comparable from an IQ standpoint, while for chroma noise K5 is miles better.

- Autofocus - better than what I expected, some problems (non-central points seem to give different results than central point) but good enough. Seems to be reasonably consistent, maybe more consistent than the 7D. Using only Ldt lenses, so noisy but not excessively slow; definitely comparable with the speed I got from my fave on the 7D, which was the Canon EF 50mm 1.4. The autofocus seems to work equally well in AFS and AFC. Only used it with manual point selection, generally center.
- Auto white balance - generally good, but when it fails it fails miserably. On the 7D it never failed. Pentax should definitely improve it. Since I shoot raw it's not a problem.
- Automatic exposure - the Canon was a little more consistent, almost perfect in consistency as a matter of fact. Not a problem though.
- Auto ISO - K5 better, it can go higher in (TAv etc) while the 7D was ceiling at 3200 in iso auto mode.
- Flash - cannot compare, as I don't have a Pentax flash for now; will buy a 540FGZ in 1-2 months.
- Drive speed - comparable.
- Buffer size - didn't hit a limit, I'm shooting raw, however generally max 5 consecutive shots is enough for me.

- Size - long live K5 with Ltds. Smaller, lighter.
- Ergonomics - mixed opinion. Most of the things the K5 does better (feature selections) however the focus point selection is a nightmare compared with the joystick on the Canon body which is pure genius. Not to mention I've tried to select a focus point innumerable times just to realize I was setting WB, Drive mode etc - i.e. I was not in autofocus point selection mode... I'll probably get used to that, i.e. more attention to the viewfinder where the autofocus point selection availability is displayed.
- Bayonet/lens change - what the hell? The Canon was so smooth, while in the K5 there is such a high amount of friction when "screwing" in a lens.Not important, but worth mentioning.
- Operation speed (responsivity) - below 7D in general, not problematic though.
- Build quality - almost on par with 7D, 7D a little better though. That lens release button on the K5 is freakishly loose, while the 7D is really built like a tank from all points of view.
- Battery - I've got 700 pics and 1/3 of battery on display. It's okay. However, I do miss 7D's battery report in the menu, with number of shots per battery since last full charge, percentage remaining etc.
- Viewfinder - the 7D has the focus points displayed all the time (excellent, at K5 you have to guess what to select), otherwise comparable.

EDIT (nov 21 2011)
- Flash - I have a 360FGZ now. Well, Canon is miles ahead at this department. I'm referring both to the flash unit (recharge times with the same batteries I used on Canon 430EX1) and flash system which is extremely inconsistent in terms of exposure. Been using the body in M (manual) mode and the flash in P-TTL mode.
- Build quality - after using it for a few months, I'll have to degrade Pentax from that "almost on par" grade by a notch at least.

Last edited by mchis; 11-21-2011 at 06:34 AM.
08-24-2011, 05:50 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks mchis. I always like reading comparissons like this from real users.
08-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 Thanks mchis. I always wonder how people view the difference between the two comparable cameras, although most would only see the 7D in the B&M stores.
08-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #60

My pleasure! I will leave soon in a 7-day vacation and will probably spend even more time with the camera; if something relevant/additional will come up, I will most surely complement the original post.
Michael.