Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #1

Buying gear in San Francisco

Hello, I'm planing a trip to USA in late September. While "over there" I plan to buy some camera gear but don't really know where to go and if I can expect any vareity?
Was planning to find some primes or zooms, maybe a O-GPS1 if they are released and a battery grip. Not quite sure yet
I will road trip quite long, SF-LA-Las Vegas-Flagstaff-Dallas-Houston-New Orleans-Miami. So if there is some huge store on the way I have to stop by, please tell me

Sorry if my english is bad, but hopefully I'm better at swedish than you are Also sorry if I post this in the wrong section.

08-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I can tell you right now where NOT to shop: Don't buy cam gear on Grant Ave (Chinatown) or the Embarcadero (Fisherman's Wharf). All rip-off shops with old stuff at retail++ with no returns. I'll let some of the 'Ciscans recommend good merchants -- the places I shopped years ago are all gone now. Watch your money!
08-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another place that is hit or miss is Adolph Gasser. They sometimes have some good finds, but are few and far between. They have a reduced price table that you might be able to pick up some totally random stuff for cheap, in case you want to reverse mount lenses for macro purposes and just need an extra lens.

One great place is Camera Heaven. The owner, David, is very cool. He has a wide bunch of gear from lenses, some old bodies, to used tripods, caps, etc. His digital gear, DA40 and maybe a few others, are priced higher than Amazon for used gear, so watch out. He also repairs cameras, in case you have one that is in need of some care. Check out the Yelp reviews to see how great he is Camera Heaven - Civic Center/Tenderloin - San Francisco, CA.

I work in the City, so if you want to meet up for some shooting, let me know. It's hard to find Pentaxians in the Bay Area.
08-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can try Calumet in SF too.
Calumet Photographic in San Francisco

There are good photo stores in various parts of the Bay Area too but you said SF.

There are Pentaxians here is SF, we even have a forum although it's not used enough.
Bay Area, CA - PentaxForums.com

I'd make the same offer, send me a PM when you are going to be in SF and we can try to hook up for some shooting.

Tim

08-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Calumet is okay, but you should hit Looking Glass Photo out in Berkeley if you have the time. They're on Telegraph and an easy walk from Ashby station.
08-10-2011, 03:09 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all.
Will definitely check those places out, do they sell brand new stuff to or only used?

Will travel with some friends who doesn't share my interest for photography so think I have to pass on your offers, pretty thight schedule to.. But thank you anyway!
08-29-2011, 03:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hello again!
My zoom-lens, Sigma 18-50/2.8, just broke down. So now I'm in the market for a new zoom.
Looking at:

Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II
Tamron -17-50mm F/2.8(Model A16)

And

Pentax DA* 16-50/2.8 (no link required )

What prices do these one go for in SF? Do anyone know where I can pick one up?
In sweden a Da* goes for $1188, when I look at bhphoto, the prices are quite higher in USA?
08-30-2011, 11:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
Nobody knows any good Pentax-places in the bay area?

10-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Bump? I'm heading to SF next week and would like to hit a shop or two for some new and used Pentax gear.