Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #1

pentax k200d - fisheye lens & long exposure shooting

i am about to embark on a trip to the southwest so i bought a few toys for my pentax k200d:

rokinon 8mm fisheye lens (for landscape shots)

remote shutter release (for long exposure shots)

unfortunately, i am having a little bit more trouble than i expected figuring out what settings to use to accomplish these goals

i attached the fisheye and i am able to take pictures with it but the weird thing is that i can't change the focus at all. not sure what's going on with that

the long exposure shots, i really have no idea what i'm doing so any advice or instructions on camera settings would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance!

08-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is the Rokinon not manual focus? Can you rotate the ring? If so, there should be an AF/MF switch on the camera that should be set to MF.

As far as long exposure goes, it is the same process as for shorter exposures. Shoot at the meter setting, review, and adjust.

Pojama people -
They all got flannel up 'n down 'em
A little trap-door back aroun' 'em
An' some cozy little footies on their mind
-Frank Zappa

Last edited by SpecialK; 08-09-2011 at 05:15 PM.
08-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Is the Rokinon not manual focus? Can you rotate the ring? If so, there should be an AF/MF switch on the camera that should be set to MF.

As far as long exposure goes, it is the same process as for shorter exposures. Shoot at the meter setting, review, and adjust.

Pojama people -
They all got flannel up 'n down 'em
A little trap-door back aroun' 'em
An' some cozy little footies on their mind
-Frank Zappa
its definitely a manual focus only lens and i have the switch on the camera set to manual focus but when i turn the ring the focus doesn't change. i am baffled

how do you change the camera to the meter setting? sorry, i've never done long exposure

haha a fellow frank zappa fan i see. that album is so amazing
08-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by po-jama people Quote
its definitely a manual focus only lens and i have the switch on the camera set to manual focus but when i turn the ring the focus doesn't change. i am baffled

how do you change the camera to the meter setting? sorry, i've never done long exposure

haha a fellow frank zappa fan i see. that album is so amazing
Whenever you press the shutter button 1/2 way, the camera will meter the scene (and keeps making a reading for 15 or 30 seconds or whatever duration it is set for). The metering method is usually changed by a lever on the back or near the mode dial, between spot-meter (never recommend it), center-weighted, or matrix (full frame).

Put the camera on P mode, aim at your subject and press the shutter. In the viewfinder and/or LCD should be the aperture and shutter speed the camera thinks is the right exposure. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. You can then use the exposure compensation (+/-) button and dial to under-expose or over-expose (if still in P or an auto mode), or change to M and make your own settings for the best exposure.

Or, put it on Tv mode and the shutter at 4 seconds or something (if at night). The camera will choose the aperture.

Don't know the issue with the lens.

08-10-2011, 02:27 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by po-jama people Quote
It changes, but it moves about 1/16" or less, barely noticeable. It is also very hard to see any difference in the viewfinder without a split prism focus screen.

Honestly, at F8 or more, focus really doesn't matter with this lens. If you set the focus to about 0.5m at F8, everything from 0.22m to infinity is in focus.
08-10-2011, 06:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Whenever you press the shutter button 1/2 way, the camera will meter the scene (and keeps making a reading for 15 or 30 seconds or whatever duration it is set for). The metering method is usually changed by a lever on the back or near the mode dial, between spot-meter (never recommend it), center-weighted, or matrix (full frame).

Put the camera on P mode, aim at your subject and press the shutter. In the viewfinder and/or LCD should be the aperture and shutter speed the camera thinks is the right exposure. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. You can then use the exposure compensation (+/-) button and dial to under-expose or over-expose (if still in P or an auto mode), or change to M and make your own settings for the best exposure.

Or, put it on Tv mode and the shutter at 4 seconds or something (if at night). The camera will choose the aperture.

Don't know the issue with the lens.
thank you so much. i typically rely on google to explain everything to me but i was having difficulty finding good instruction by just doing a search online. that was extremely helpful, thanks!
08-10-2011, 06:33 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
It changes, but it moves about 1/16" or less, barely noticeable. It is also very hard to see any difference in the viewfinder without a split prism focus screen.

Honestly, at F8 or more, focus really doesn't matter with this lens. If you set the focus to about 0.5m at F8, everything from 0.22m to infinity is in focus.
ahhh that explains alot. because i was fairly certain i had the lens mounted correctly and the camera settings right and i even took a few pictures and they looked great. but i couldn't understand why if it was a manual focus i wasn't seeing a change in the focus looking through the viewfinder. thank you!
08-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How far out is infinity with this lens? I know it's not far with the DA 10-17 at 10mm. Maybe your shots are all far enough away to be at infinite focus? That's really convenient, btw - turns the camera into a fisheye P&S.

Fisheye is addicting...

08-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #9

I own the same fisheye lens, and indeed it's really great fun.

I'm not sure or the K200d can also shoot movies, but if so, you really should try making a movie while standing on rolling stairs
08-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
How far out is infinity with this lens? I know it's not far with the DA 10-17 at 10mm. Maybe your shots are all far enough away to be at infinite focus?
I just checked the 10-17 -- at 10mm wide-open, infinity is 1 yard / 90cm. I'm too lazy to calculate the DOF or hyperfocus when it's at f/22, but it'll be monstrous.

No wait, I'll try it... hmm, the DOF calculator doesn't discriminate between fisheye and rectilinear, and I don't know if it makes a difference. Let's say the 10-17 defishes to 7mm equivalent. Then at f/22 with a hyperfocus of 14cm / 5.5in (the near focus of this lens), DOF is about 6.3cm / 2.5in to infinity. Nice, eh?

OK, that's too extreme. And forget the defishing, that may be a flaky assumption. At f/11 (just above the diffraction limit on my K20D) with a hyperfocus of 46cm / 18in, DOF is 23cm / 9in to infinity. Yeah, twisting the focus ring won't change the focus much.

QuoteQuote:
That's really convenient, btw - turns the camera into a fisheye P&S.
Well, yes, but... really weird things happen to angles and straight lines when you're that wide. Fun, eh?

QuoteQuote:
Fisheye is addicting...
Quite. From LBA to PBA to GBA to FEA (FishEye Addiction).
And our support group will be FEAA (FishEye Addicts Anonymous).
And what do we call FishEye junkies? Fishheads, of course.
"Hello, my name is Ricoh, and I'm a fishhead."
Fish-heads, fish-heads
Roly-poly fish-heads
Fish-heads, fish-heads
Eat them up, yum.
OK, now we need a Fishheads Club here. Wow, this place is degenerating FAST...

Last edited by RioRico; 08-10-2011 at 03:37 PM.
08-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
How far out is infinity with this lens? I know it's not far with the DA 10-17 at 10mm. Maybe your shots are all far enough away to be at infinite focus? That's really convenient, btw - turns the camera into a fisheye P&S.

Fisheye is addicting...
The mark just before infinity is 10ft/3m, I haven't actually tested to see how far it can focus.

I love mine, it is a very fun lens, I recently picked up the 16mm Zenitar for when I want less fishy shots, they are both great lenses. Though, for the cost, you would probably be better off with the 10-17mm instead of buying the Samyang and Zenitar, but I really prefer manual primes.
08-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The mark just before infinity is 10ft/3m, I haven't actually tested to see how far it can focus.
I *did* test it, and as I said above, infinity at 10mm is about 36in / 90cm.

Let's see, if infinity is (technically) an unmeasurable amount; and if I just measured infiniity; then have I created a paradox, a discontinuity, a singularity? Will the universe implode? Are we doomed? Run! Run!

QuoteQuote:
I love mine, it is a very fun lens, I recently picked up the 16mm Zenitar for when I want less fishy shots, they are both great lenses. Though, for the cost, you would probably be better off with the 10-17mm instead of buying the Samyang and Zenitar, but I really prefer manual primes.
I got my DA10-17 first (it was the lens that drove me to Pentax) and the Zenitar 16/2.8 later. The DA10-17 at 17mm is quite like the Zenitar -- but much slower, being f/4.5 vs f/2.8. So I take the Zen when I know I'll be shooting indoors in less-than-great light. And I'll admit that I don't use either of them in my evergreen forest. All those tall cedars and firs, leaning over, about to fall on me...
08-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I *did* test it, and as I said above, infinity at 10mm is about 36in / 90cm.
You tested the Pentax 10-17mm, TER-OR was asking about the Samyang 8mm, which is what I was talking about.
08-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You tested the Pentax 10-17mm, TER-OR was asking about the Samyang 8mm, which is what I was talking about.
Oops, sorry, my bad. I misread your comment. Duh. I think we can safely assume that the Samyang is about the same, or even a bit closer.
08-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #15

Original Poster
clearly you all are more advanced then i am but this information has been extremely helpful. one more (potentially) dumb question though:

unless i'm completely misunderstanding, you're saying that it doesn't really matter how much i turn the focus ring on my fisheye because it's not even noticeable and everything will just be in focus whether i mess with it or not. so...why have it at all? or am i missing something?