Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2011, 04:44 AM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, now that the K-5 is available and you haven't yet taken the plunge, I'd go with the K-5.
Several improvements on the K-7, even beyond that of the K-7 to the K20D.

08-19-2011, 06:06 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Well, now that the K-5 is available and you haven't yet taken the plunge, I'd go with the K-5.
I thought he said in the opening post that he couldn't afford a K5?
08-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I ordered a K-7!

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
On the ISO 100 noise, it depends on the photo. I've been shooting K10D and K-7 side by side for 2 years. Still couldn't nail it
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I liked the sensor of the K10 at low iso (100 to 400), really well. However most everything else about the K7 is more advanced.
Yeah, I always knew I liked the iso 100 results I got from my K10D, but until I heard from you guys I didn't realize how good the K10's low iso really is. Even so, I'm sure the K-7's iso 100 will be more than good enough for me. And the K-7's extra features will be a nice bonus.
I must say though, I know I'm going to miss the K10's voluptuous body...

I thought he said in the opening post that he couldn't afford a K5?
Right. The K-5's price is still too high for me. And since I shoot mostly flower portraits, macros, still lifes and scenery at iso 100, the K-5 is a lot more camera than I really need.
I think the K-7 is a good happy medium for me.

I found my K-7 (online) at Tri State Camera for $789. I haven't been looking around too long, but I think that's a pretty good price. And getting a new camera warranty was important for my peace of mind, too.
(In case anyone is interested, as of this morning - August 19 - Tri State still has a new K-7 body in stock for $789.)

Thanks to all for your help!

Tim

Last edited by .a.t.; 08-19-2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: clarity
08-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #19
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With prices falling, it would be a very good option to save up for given that you may not *always* want to (or perhaps be able to) shoot your subjects at ISO 100.

Nevertheless, the K-7 is very affordable, and a very good platform to get good results in ISO 100-800. Though the same could be said about the K20D - in good light it is almost as great as the K-7, only without video (if that's not an issue to you).

08-19-2011, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
Yeah, I always knew I liked the iso 100 results I got from my K10D, but until I heard from you guys I didn't realize how good the K10's low iso really is. Even so, I'm sure the K-7's iso 100 will be more than good enough for me. And the K-7's extra features will be a nice bonus.
I must say though, I know I'm going to miss the K10's voluptuous body...

Right. The K-5's price is still too high for me. And since I shoot mostly flower portraits, macros, still lifes and scenery at iso 100, the K-5 is a lot more camera than I really need.
I think the K-7 is a good happy medium for me.

I found my K-7 (online) at Tri State Camera for $789. I haven't been looking around too long, but I think that's a pretty good price. And getting a new camera warranty was important for my peace of mind, too.
(In case anyone is interested, as of this morning - August 19 - Tri State still has a new K-7 body in stock for $789.)

Thanks to all for your help!

Tim
I'd avoid tri state from what i've read.
the yelp reviews are typical of the various reviews out there (i would doubt the K7 they have is even new for that matter given they have been off the market for a long while now)
The other thing is you can pick up a low mileage used for not much more than $600-$650 from people here on the forum.
If warranty is a real concern look to KEH or BH used and buy a Mack warranty to go with it

Tri-State Camera - Chelsea - New York, NY

4/10 on reseller reviews as well

BTW they do not come up as an authorized dealer on Pentax's web site so you may want to contact Pentax before buying

But they aren't the worst by any means

that dubious distinction goes to all the various names George Sabado operates under
Neue Internetprsenz
photodynasty.com - photo dynasty Resources and Information. This website is for sale!
Congratulations!
FX???????????
www.eastcoastdistributor.com
www.hellocamera.com
www.infiniticameras.com
infinitiphoto.com
www.infinitycameras.com
Closed
www.mraccessory.com
Cash Advance | Debt Consolidation | Insurance | Free Credit Report | Cell Phones at Razzphoto.com
Regency Camera, Discount Digital Cameras & Accessories, Camcorders, Camera Cases

that list is 3 years old now so there may be others. he has over 1000 BBB complaints
08-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
With prices falling, it would be a very good option to save up for given that you may not *always* want to (or perhaps be able to) shoot your subjects at ISO 100.
Thanks, Ash. I'll keep an open mind about it, but I'm pretty sure I've made the right choice.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I'd avoid tri state from what i've read.
the yelp reviews are typical of the various reviews out there (i would doubt the K7 they have is even new for that matter given they have been off the market for a long while now)
The other thing is you can pick up a low mileage used for not much more than $600-$650 from people here on the forum.
If warranty is a real concern look to KEH or BH used and buy a Mack warranty to go with it

BTW they do not come up as an authorized dealer on Pentax's web site so you may want to contact Pentax before buying
Hmmm. Thanks for the heads up, Eddie. Yes, I know Tri State isn't as reputable as B&H or Adorama, but I've already placed my order and so far, so good. But, yes, I should've checked into the warranty first. Rookie mistake. I bought my (late) K10D as refurbished and I guess I was seduced by the idea of having a "brand new" K-7.

If worse comes to worst, I'll just cancel my order or return the K-7 (I used Paypal) and start looking all over again (). You guys have given me all the information I need - it's just up to me to be an intelligent shopper.

I'll talk to Pentax to see what they say about Tri State. And I'll definitely avoid the other guy you mentioned!

Tim

Last edited by .a.t.; 08-19-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: grammar
08-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Pentax says Tri State Camera is an authorized dealer. If the camera is new (Tri State says it is), it'll have the Pentax factory warranty.

Tim

08-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I upgraded 2 years ago from K10D to K7D. the upgrade was somewhat forced upon me as the K10Shutter failed. However, I called pentax and they gave me a reasonable quote, so I did 2 things, got the K7 and fixed the K10 as a backup. How do you spell CBA

I use both today, the k& about 2 times a s often (based upon frames shot, as the K10. (note I still also have my *istD)

I like everything about the K7 except the way it works with my 28-75 tamron, which always seems soft on the K7 but nice and sharp on the K10. Maybe something to do with the shutter slap issue?

WHat I do, is when travelling take both bodies, and use the K7 with my Sigma 10-20 and the K10 with the tamron 28-75. easier than changing lenses.

I find the K10 somewhat limited in dynamic range and too contrasty in harsh lighting, the K7 performs much better in that aspect.

the K10 also doubles as one of my MF lens bodies, the *istD being the other, and the real backbone of my MF system because it supports both P-TTL and TTL but that is off topic.

Both are good bodies, and capable cameras.
08-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I upgraded 2 years ago from K10D to K7D.
...I find the K10 somewhat limited in dynamic range and too contrasty in harsh lighting, the K7 performs much better in that aspect.
...Both are good bodies, and capable cameras.
Thanks, Lowell. I often wished for more DR with my K10D, so that's good to know.

Tim
08-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Thanks, Lowell. I often wished for more DR with my K10D, so that's good to know.

Tim
You should also do a comparison here: DxOMark - Pentax
08-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting. Thank you, unartist.

I wish the K-7 had better scores, but I'm sure I'll still be happy with it. It'll be more than good enough for me.

Tim

Last edited by .a.t.; 08-19-2011 at 10:19 PM.
08-20-2011, 04:41 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've purchased from Tri State Camera without any problems. I think they used to be part of the hard-sell camera companies in New York who would call you up and try to sell you expensive accessories for your purchase, but the New York attorney general cleaned up a lot of that activity a couple of years ago and I think they are OK now.
08-22-2011, 05:15 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I've purchased from Tri State Camera without any problems. I think they used to be part of the hard-sell camera companies in New York who would call you up and try to sell you expensive accessories for your purchase, but the New York attorney general cleaned up a lot of that activity a couple of years ago and I think they are OK now.
that may be where the rep comes from. I know the name sent up red flags for me (they were nasty before the internet when mail order was from the back of shutterbug and such )
I think the real thing to avoid without having to do research is the places with a Brooklyn address (see the name mentioned above)
there are still some con artist retailers out there
Hope the camera works out you should like it
like Lowell I have a DS a K10 and a K7. the K7 get's the most use by far now (and a whack of film bodies)
08-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Rondec & eddie.

As we've seen, I'm not the wisest guy around. But, at least I knew enough to not give Tri State my phone number when I ordered (online).

I did get an email from them requesting I call them "...for additional information about the product(s) you have ordered."
No, thank you.
08-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks Rondec & eddie.

As we've seen, I'm not the wisest guy around. But, at least I knew enough to not give Tri State my phone number when I ordered (online).

I did get an email from them requesting I call them "...for additional information about the product(s) you have ordered."
No, thank you.
I would contact them for tracking info if you haven't received it at this point. I did read they have been known to all of a sudden not have the stock