Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How can i see the preview screen better outside?

when i shoot on a sunny day i can barely see the preview screen. its alsmot totally black!

any ideas for how to remedy this?

08-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You remember those old-time pictures of old-time photographers with their big old-time view cameras up on big tripods, the photographer leaning into the camera with a big black cloth over their head? That's how. You think I'm joking? I keep a black cloth in my carry-bag, just so I can use the LiveView screen in bright scenes. Or I wear a hat with a wide brim. But the screen is still almost useless on bright days. I've seen people make a hood from black paper, to tape around the view screen. But the LCD screen's brightness just can't compete with straight sunshine. Oh bother.

Last edited by RioRico; 08-13-2011 at 03:39 AM.
08-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I store my M 50mm in one of those foam pop can holders (with the bottom removed) to help it fit tighter in my camera bag. When it is bright out, I press one end of the foam holder against the screen and look through the other end. I might look a little weird doing it but it works.

Tim
08-13-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

you can buy screen loupe
Hoodman HoodLoupe Professional 3.0in LCD Screen Loupe - Only 78.99 - Park Cameras Online
obviously not from this shop as it in England but search in your location

08-13-2011, 07:37 AM   #5

That loupe looks like a good idea . . . at a price. It also ties up one hand leaving only one hand to hold and operate the camera buttons.
08-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mannesty Quote
That loupe looks like a good idea . . . at a price. It also ties up one hand leaving only one hand to hold and operate the camera buttons.
I think the idea is to use after for chimping not for live view, for preview use the viewfinder
08-14-2011, 01:30 AM   #7

Yes, I understand that it's primary use is reviewing images/ histograms etc, and not live view, but even for reviewing, it still leaves only one hand free to hold and operate the many buttons I tend to use (next, previous, rear wheel to magnify image, delete, etc.

Just my impression, I'm sure it's good at what it does.
08-14-2011, 02:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

in reality I rarely use mine only once or twice in a 200 plus shoot to check on something, there again I use my viewfinder correctly as in I look for stupid mistakes in composition and I trust the camera exposure meter and recognise when it will get fooled and either alter the composition, exposure or bracket , and i use a spot meter for high dynamic stuff. All of the forgoing comes with years of experience and comes to most photographers in time , it's like getting remote flash on manual right first time with out a flash meter it's all down to experience and a gut feel.

08-14-2011, 03:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

+1 on the black cloth. Cheap and does the same job as the loupe at 1/10 the price !
08-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
Forum Member

Why would you need to see the screen perfectly? I don't know how about you, but I use the back screen just to check the settings before I shoot on my K-x (the info in viewfinder is almost invisible for me in direct sunlight + I wear glasses) and after the shoot I just quickly check the histogram if there aren't any bright/dark areas. The histogram is white, so it's visible always and so is the info. If you use RAW, there isn't any reason, why wouldn't this be enough. You can do all the enhancements in PP.