Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Purchasing Pentax DSLR in Philippines

Just wondering if there were any Pinoy Pentaxians here?

My niece's birthday is approaching, and I'd like to get her a K-r kit; she's in the Philippines (Makati), and I'm in Canada. I can send the money to my brother-in-law so he can purchase it, but he's having a tough time finding one at a reasonable price.

I've tried looking online, and the prices seem *very* high - one I found wanted 45,000 pesos for the K-r, which works out to about $1050 - pretty steep for a camera that goes for $699 here.

Are there any good places in Makati (or nearby) that stock Pentax?

08-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It's hard to say if you're actually seeing the cost of what they would actually sell it over there or internet "worldwide" pricing.

Is this a surprise for her by any chance? If not, then maybe you can tell her what to look for and see what kind of deal she can get over there.

From what I understand this photographer is a respected Filipino Pentaxian (Bong Manayon). Maybe you can email him for advice.
Here's his gallery which includes his website: PENTAX Photo Gallery

Hope this helps, Cheers!
08-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #3

There is a Pentax store at Robinson Galleria, Ortigas Center. It is the official Pentax distributor in Manila. For the price of K-r kit, check the link.

Classifieds Ads of jonathan sia (jcssss) Philippines - 2
08-14-2011, 02:34 AM   #4

Hi, check dbgadgets.multiply.com they sell a lot of different gadgets at a lower price. I personally have not bought from them, but my friend has although it was a mobile phone. But tell your brother-in-law to ask about the warranty in case something's wrong with the unit.

Your niece is one lucky girl! K-r would be perfect for her and I hope she joins the forum after she gets her camera.

08-14-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello!
Pinoy Pentaxian here from Baguio City...
+1 on Barus. go to dbgadgets. Here's a direct link for the KR: DBGADGETS - DIGICAM: Pentax
08-15-2011, 05:06 AM   #6

Comparing prices in the Philippines (of practically anything tech related) is 'disheartening' .

You want it cheap, buy outside.

You can buy from the links mentioned above. Your best bet's Jon Sia. He owns Camerahaus which claims 'official' distributorship in the country'.
08-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks everybody - the places mentioned look much more reasonable!

08-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #8

Having travelled a lot around the world, you'd be surprised on the cost of electronics in other parts of the world. Canada electronics are very cheap compared to other countries, might be good to buy locally and ship to the Philippines. But be careful, as I heard that the Philippines customs charge random fees (to be confirmed by a local).

Best places to buy electronis: China, USA and Canada (be very careful when buying in China... had a flash that worked only 3 shots...)

Cheers
08-20-2011, 11:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaarde Quote
But be careful, as I heard that the Philippines customs charge random fees (to be confirmed by a local)
Very true! When I bought my K110D in US before, and when shipped here in the Philippines, the Customs charged me a very large random fees! And to share a fellow photographer's experience, when he bought a handycam from other country, and when shipped here, they charged my friend a very large fee, and there's more, they even stole the camera!! They just left the box, and the user manual, and just placed some weights. F**k!!! The Philippine's Customs are corrupt and thieves!!!
So, when shipping items here in the Philippines, make sure that it's in a gift wrap, or better, if you have friends travelling here in the Philippines, give the item to them so there will be no problem...
08-21-2011, 02:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It dismays me to see the pricing in the Philippines considering the cameras are made in Cebu!

It's also interesting here in HK in the way camera companies handle local pricing. Canon and Nikon make an effort to keep their prices very competitive (often cheaper than B&H/Amazon etc), I assume to capitalise on HK's reputation as a cheap place to buy electronics, and thereby gain sales through business travelers and tourists.

Pentax on the other hand sell their stuff for substantially higher than the US. The only way to get value-priced Pentax equipment here is to buy grey-market or have B&H ship internationally (no sales tax in HK). Mind you, it's still way cheaper in HK than the Philippines.
03-02-2012, 03:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
It dismays me to see the pricing in the Philippines considering the cameras are made in Cebu! It's also interesting here in HK in the way camera companies handle local pricing. Canon and Nikon make an effort to keep their prices very competitive (often cheaper than B&H/Amazon etc), I assume to capitalise on HK's reputation as a cheap place to buy electronics, and thereby gain sales through business travelers and tourists. Pentax on the other hand sell their stuff for substantially higher than the US. The only way to get value-priced Pentax equipment here is to buy grey-market or have B&H ship internationally (no sales tax in HK). Mind you, it's still way cheaper in HK than the Philippines.
I am sure envious of our neighboring SEA countries with Pentax products. Our local authorized sellers here.. sells it for around a 30% markup in most items.

For example, a the $160 DA 35 2.4 in the US is... Php17,000 ($400+?) here.... the DA40 Ltd here costs around $571
03-02-2012, 03:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kaarde Quote
But be careful, as I heard that the Philippines customs charge random fees (to be confirmed by a local).
Very true, sadly.
03-03-2012, 12:55 AM   #13
Forum Member

since you mentioned you're from canada, why not check HENRY's CAMERA. there is a K-R body that sells for $599. even target here in usa has one for $699 with lens kit. why limit yourself to phil. when you know that they sell the camera at a higher price.
03-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #14

One way to avoid taxes, but a lengthly process is to send it in a Balikbayan Box. My wife is from CEBU. We send 2 boxes every year for Christmas delivery, (it takes 2 months via surface freight, boat). We have never had any issues as far as items disappearing from the boxes. Just bury it inside the box, maybe even disguise it a little. Don't list it on the manifest. We send Point and Shoots, camcorders, even microwave ovens without any hassle. Just remember, the climate is hot and humid, so pack for local conditions.
12-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Hi, I know this thread is over a year old. But can any of you tell where I can purchase Pentax cameras and lenses here in the Philippines besides Camerahaus? I'm really hoping to buy a HD 33-300 wr. I hope you guys can help. Thanks