Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #1

k-x shutter permanently stuck at about 2 seconds

Greetings -- I am using a k-x and it is stuck on a very slow shutter speed. I have tried turning on and off the camera several times and swapping out the batteries, but nothing is working. It doesn't matter where I set the shutter from the low end to the high end, whether I am using M, P. Av, TV, Auto...when I press the shutter release it is opening at about 2 seconds. Has anyone had a similar problem and have any ideas what is causing this problem and how to fix?

I am very frustrated and will be glad for any help! Thank you! Jeff.

08-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Sorry I don't have any direct experience with this.
But I will mention the advice that inevitably crops up from experienced users when there is a mystery ailment.
Try resetting everything to factory settings and see if that clears it up.
I am sure there is a menu item that will do this all at once.
Good luck and let us know what happens step by step.
08-12-2011, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the shutter speed stuck at 2 seconds, or is there a 2 second delay before the shutter opens?

Try changing your drive mode from 2 second delay to anything else.
08-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks so much for your speedy reply. I have now solved the problem. I had indeed accidentally set the 2 second delay without realizing it

08-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grinchicago Quote
Thanks so much for your speedy reply. I have now solved the problem. I had indeed accidentally set the 2 second delay without realizing it
I never do that.....

except for about every time I use the 2 second timer!

Here are my other "forehead slap" moments:

- If I use a lens with an actual aperture ring, at some point it will get moved off of "Auto Aperture" and the camera will flash "F--" and I'll think I've broken my camera. Then I'll remember to check the aperture ring.

- I'll go out and shoot a bunch of daytime shots at ISO 5000 (or higher) because I forgot to reset the camera from last night's shoot. If I'm lucky, I'll sit there and wonder why my shots at 1/8000s and f/11 are overexposed....then I'll check the ISO. If I'm unlucky, I'll get back to the computer and figure it out after the photo opp is over. (Of course, the K5 high ISO noise control really helps me out here.)

That's all I can think of right now. I'm hardly an expert, but I've been playing with these things for the last 5-6 years and you'd think I'd learn after this time, but I guess not.
08-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Inactive Account

OK, OK, How about trying to take a shot and the half-press does not auto focus.
I did that once and it took me, well never mind how long, until I remembered I had last used the camera in manual focus and forgot to turn MF switch off for this shot.
I did that a couple of years ago when my K200D was brand new - OK, it took about 5 test exposures until I "figured it out". I blame Hoya for that, not ME of course!
08-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote
OK, OK, How about trying to take a shot and the half-press does not auto focus.
I did that once and it took me, well never mind how long, until I remembered I had last used the camera in manual focus and forgot to turn MF switch off for this shot.
I did that a couple of years ago when my K200D was brand new - OK, it took about 5 test exposures until I "figured it out". I blame Hoya for that, not ME of course!
Yep, done that too.
08-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #8

What about setting the mirror to go up and stay up so no movement at all will interfere with the picture.

I have done that. when I need to take a long exposure and I don't want any movement, I set up the mirror to go up then wait for 2 seconds and the shutter will fire, then I forgot to put it back, and missed the shot because the camera is putting the mirror up and wait for the 2 sec.

Last edited by zuken; 08-18-2011 at 10:54 AM.
08-19-2011, 06:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't feel bad. I've done that myself. My most recent flub was shooting a whole afternoon with the camera set on MF with my DA 15. I didn't really notice anything wrong because wide lenses have a lot of DOF and that kind of saved my butt. Most of the shots were usable but weren't as sharp as they could have been.