Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #1

Pentax K20D

Hi,I need some advice and opinion. I have a Pentax K200D and I want to upgrade my camera (basically i want to buy a new camera) to Pentax K-5. This is everyone's dream camera i reckon. but it is too expensive and i was thinking to buy a K-7. but then again, its better for me to buy a K-5 than K-7 (just add a few more dollars,IF i have the money).So,i think K20D is somehow much better than my K200D, and it is cheaper than the K-7 and K-5.

Do you think investing money in K20D is a good idea?man,this hobby is sooo expensive.at one point, i wanted to give up my hobby and sell all my eqiupments

08-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, ask yourself what do you expect from the next camera that isn't delivered by your K200D? That is also a very nice camera, with a different sensor then K20D/K-7 or K-5.

And yes, it is an expensive hobby. Just make a plan of your needings in the coming years and organize how to get there.
08-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well, ask yourself what do you expect from the next camera that isn't delivered by your K200D? That is also a very nice camera, with a different sensor then K20D/K-7 or K-5.

And yes, it is an expensive hobby. Just make a plan of your needings in the coming years and organize how to get there.
Well,I expect it to be better than K200D.I dont say that my camera is not good enough but I think i need to move up a bit, if you know what I mean. If my K200d has a live view i would be satisfied

Cheers mate.thanks
08-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #4

Pentax K20d a fine camera

I decided to branch out from Olympus and got a refurbished K20d for a very good price ($379). One always takes a chance with such a purchase but it came with less than 50 clicks on it and I've added about 4,000 more without a problem. I don't have a K-5 like your other responder, only the K20d in the Pentax line, but I am very happy with it. I may one day, if its price drops far enough, buy a K-7 but just for the better low-light capability. I've been hiking in the morning, and in the dim light of morning I must use at least ISO 800. I don't seem to do as well with ISO 1600 & I suspect the K-7 might do better.

I don't have your K200 to compare it to, but I do have several Olympus cameras. My experience with the "pro" Olympus E-1 and the "semi-pro" Pentax K20d convince me that I want to stay in that category, either pro or semi-pro (they probably mean the same things in Olympus & Pentax). For a possible comparison to your K200 I have an Olympus E-520; which is a fine camera in its own right, but I don't care for its small viewfinder. And then there is the 'build' which is much better in the Olympus pro cameras and in the K-20d, K-7 & K-5. Since I take a camera hiking weatherproofing means a lot to me.

08-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by basikal_kusayang Quote
Well,I expect it to be better than K200D.I dont say that my camera is not good enough but I think i need to move up a bit, if you know what I mean. If my K200d has a live view i would be satisfied

Cheers mate.thanks
If you want live view then you won't be happy with a K20D either. While the K20D has a sort of live view, it is not as flexible as live view on the K7/K5. Funny thing is the K20D in now selling for just $50-100 more than the K200D. In fact, you can get a used K20D for less than a used K-x.
08-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Cheers mate.thanks
Not very specific, so your answers won't be either. For uesefull liveview K-x/K-r and K-7/K-5 are camera's to considder.
08-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If you want live view then you won't be happy with a K20D either. While the K20D has a sort of live view, it is not as flexible as live view on the K7/K5. Funny thing is the K20D in now selling for just $50-100 more than the K200D. In fact, you can get a used K20D for less than a used K-x.
thanks mate.i found a brand new k20d for 500 dollar and thats why i was thinking to sell my k200d and buy a new one. do you think i should wait for the price of k5/k7 to drop?
08-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Not very specific, so your answers won't be either. For uesefull liveview K-x/K-r and K-7/K-5 are camera's to considder.
thank mate. the live view function is just one example.im pretty sure it has more advantages compared to k200d. but,at the moment, i dont think i cant afford to buy a k7 or k5..

08-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #9

first post

Thought I'd make this one my first post because I had a similar situation. I first bought a *istD simply because circuit city was going out of business and I got it for $200.00 new. Great camera and I still have it but when the K-X came out I jumped on that. Again a great camera but then I got hooked on the old manual lens and wanted a camera that had a little brighter view for focusing. Ergo a K20d used on ebay with around 3000 clicks for quite a bit less than a K-X. The things I wanted but wasn't willing to pay for on a K-7 or K-5 were the fine focus adjustment, brighter view screen, more megapixels (for crops), weatherproofing and really importantly (for me) was ISO 100. I do a lot of beach photography since I live nearby one. So when I chose to use a lens other than a long zoom I run out of room so to speak with shutter speed. I believe the K-7 also ups the shutter speed to 1/6000. Anyway, I shot about three hundred shots at the pool today and couldn't be happier with the results (JPEG even). K20D has a lot going for it in my book.
08-14-2011, 03:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Well K-x/K-r go to 1/6000th and K-7/K-5 to 1/8000th. And K20D/K200D are limited to 1/4000th. It is all about the shutter.

Then again the number of occasions that is your limiting factor are rare.

FA*85mm f1.8 1/8000th iso160 dynamic range expansion on and +0,7 EV exposure correction.

I think that the K20D will bring you more image detail due to more megapixels. I think that the gain in hi iso isn't that big and that both camera's would be used preferly on iso100-iso800 and not above unless you want to make compromises on basic image quality to get a shot that otherwise would be lost.
08-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Historicity Quote
I decided to branch out from Olympus and got a refurbished K20d for a very good price ($379). One always takes a chance with such a purchase but it came with less than 50 clicks on it and I've added about 4,000 more without a problem. I don't have a K-5 like your other responder, only the K20d in the Pentax line, but I am very happy with it. I may one day, if its price drops far enough, buy a K-7 but just for the better low-light capability. I've been hiking in the morning, and in the dim light of morning I must use at least ISO 800. I don't seem to do as well with ISO 1600 & I suspect the K-7 might do better.

I don't have your K200 to compare it to, but I do have several Olympus cameras. My experience with the "pro" Olympus E-1 and the "semi-pro" Pentax K20d convince me that I want to stay in that category, either pro or semi-pro (they probably mean the same things in Olympus & Pentax). For a possible comparison to your K200 I have an Olympus E-520; which is a fine camera in its own right, but I don't care for its small viewfinder. And then there is the 'build' which is much better in the Olympus pro cameras and in the K-20d, K-7 & K-5. Since I take a camera hiking weatherproofing means a lot to me.
To the OP

Read DPR review of the K-7. They compared it to its current rivals and its older brother the K20D. The K20D had less noise. Really owners of both say they are the same so I would suggest to the OP not to think the K-7 will give better high ISO performance. There are really to be honest two groups of thoughts on the high ISO, one says the K7 is equal another says it has more noise.

As for you deciding which one you want, consider both the K20D and K-7 equal in high ISO noise.

The K-7 was suppose to have much better high ISO than the K20D. Pentax wrote that it would. People from Pentax came onto the forum saying it will have better high ISO performance. However scientific tests showed it had slightly more noise and people were kinda upset. The K-5 is what the K-7 should have been. That being said the K-7 seems to be a good dSLR.

I personal own the K20D and really enjoy it even after almost 3 years and 50,000 clicks. It feels great in my hands (with battery grip) and does what ever I need. I did hold and try the K7. It also felt good, but not better (its personally subjective). When tests showed it had more noise than the K20D. I was not going to buy it. The K7 does have less magenta cast at high ISO that the K20D can have in dark shadow areas. However a gentleman GordonBGood made a program that removes this color cast; it effectively gave the K20D usable ISO3200 or about one more stop usable ISO.

Search DPR for "Pentax K20D Raw Border Correcter, version 0.9.0.0" it was fantastic that GordonBGood would do this program for free. Its amazing what it does. With this program the K20D does pull ahead of the K-7 at high ISO at any light level. The K20D retains more detail at ISO3200.

But thats still not enough to make the K20D a solid choice over the K-7. You will have to look and decide which you prefer. There is no right or wrong, as long as its a Pentax

Now the K-5! When it came out lots of folks had sticker shock (high asking price), even PRO reviews say it cost too much. This web site puts the K-5 against the Canon 7D. IMO it obvious its an attempt to justify its asking price. The real rival to the K-5 is the Nikon D7000. Now the K-5 sensor is in even lower cost mid-level dSLRs such as the Nikon D5100 and Sony A580. Hoya (won't blame Pentax) quality control and some issues prevented me from spending my savings on this dSLR. I will wait till the next. The next will be superior to the K-5 if the rumors are true of a new super 24mp sensor that does 12 fps. By that time the bugs will be worked out. I did the same with the K20D. I watched it and read all complaints. There were no issues or complaints. It was a must have even though my K10D was only a year old or so.

So what will the K20D give you? It will give you almost two stops usable high ISO (using RBC from GordonBgood), it will give you two (front/back) edials, which is very nice! It will give you the must have ability to AF fine tune 20 lens. That's a powerful feature that lets you have accurate results using lens wide open. It will give you much higher resolution. Believe me the first thing I noticed going from the K10D to K20D was you can zoom in and crop more. Its almost a 50% jump in mp. The resolution is pretty much the same as the K-5 reading reviews. The K20D will give you a much larger buffer shooting RAW or JPEGS. It also has a latch for the SD card door. The K20D was a bigger brigher penta-prism OVF. Really feature wise and performance wise its an upgrade. However the K200D is loved by all its owners. You own it and now want an upgrade so it is (K20D)! The K200D and K20D both have no issues and seem to be the two most reliable problem, bug free, dSLRs Pentax has made in the last few years.

So yea sell the K200d, get a good low shutter count K20D and you will be happy. After all its apparent you want a hardware upgrade to the K200D. Well when Pentax was selling both the K20D was the top model. Having highly programmable front and rear edial is great. The SR system in the K20D is a bit better also because the sensor CMOS sensor is lighter than the CCD used in the K200D.

BTW, when Samsung came out with the sensor for the K20D it had the highest mp and resolution of any APS sensor. We now know it also had very good high ISO noise performance. When you test it in RAW and not JPEG as reviewers did (test jpegs not raws) at the time. DPR changed this and if you read the K-7 review you will see how competitive the K20D sensor really was. At release it may have been the best. Samsung is huge and Sonys rival. Sony fights with Samsung and now Samsung was coming in strong with sensors, a place Sony had all to itself really for APS sensors. This IMO put the fear of God into Sony. Notice now how high ISO and mp are jumping from Sony! They would have milked the money from us were it not for Samsung pouring money now into the camera business. Sorta like when AMD came out with the Athlon that beat any sensor Intel could make. We went from 600 MHz CPUs to dual core 3.5GHz CPUs in a short time Intel and AMD were fighting hard. At one point Intel was fighting really hard as it was far behind in CPU technology. They let their guard down and just kept all the profits. Competition is a great thing. Sony has no idea what Samsung may be doing behind closed doors. They made a really good APS sensor (Samsung first) and Samsung has really big plans!

I would not bet that sensors have hit a wall. I think with the rumors of a 24mp super APS sensor, that we might see Pentax 645D performance (in resolution) in the near future and that are current dSLRs will be fit for ash trays. Its right in front of our eyes IMO; the clues! Does anyone think technology is stopping for computers, phones, TVS, gadgets or for dSLRs?

Last edited by jamesm007; 08-14-2011 at 12:11 PM.
08-15-2011, 03:09 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks a lot guys for the review and opinions. I really appriciate it. I ve decided to replace my K200D with the K20D.

One more thing.does the battery grip really necessary? and before this, i used energizer batteries for my K200D and it can last for 2 months the longest, and i got a LOT of shots. so,hows the battery performance for the K20D?
08-15-2011, 04:37 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Thanks a lot guys for the review and opinions. I really appriciate it. I ve decided to replace my K200D with the K20D.

One more thing.does the battery grip really necessary? and before this, i used energizer batteries for my K200D and it can last for 2 months the longest, and i got a LOT of shots. so,hows the battery performance for the K20D?

No the battery grip is not a must have. The K20D feels good without it.

I don't know what it takes to kill the battery in a K20D, because I never have! In fact I have never seen the low battery indicator!

On any one day the most shots I have taken is about 600 pics. Even after taking this many I did not see the low batter indicator. I then recharge every night. No I don't keep two batteries in my camera; only one in the grip to make it easy to change and lighter to carry. So all I know is you can recharge them and can take over 600 pics (no flash).

With my old K10D I would have to change batteries at around 400 pics or sooner. The CCD sensor uses much more power than the CMOS sensor in the K20D this is why I have never seen the low battery indicator.

Write back to this post and tell us how you like it. It would be neat to read.
08-15-2011, 05:21 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
No the battery grip is not a must have. The K20D feels good without it.

I don't know what it takes to kill the battery in a K20D, because I never have! In fact I have never seen the low battery indicator!

On any one day the most shots I have taken is about 600 pics. Even after taking this many I did not see the low batter indicator. I then recharge every night. No I don't keep two batteries in my camera; only one in the grip to make it easy to change and lighter to carry. So all I know is you can recharge them and can take over 600 pics (no flash).

With my old K10D I would have to change batteries at around 400 pics or sooner. The CCD sensor uses much more power than the CMOS sensor in the K20D this is why I have never seen the low battery indicator.

Write back to this post and tell us how you like it. It would be neat to read.

In fact I have never seen the low battery indicator! ----LOVE IT..

i will. I just ordered the camera today and i'll try to post something about it. Thanks for your help. Kinda hard to sell the K200D as it served me well for the past years....oh well,got a new camera.
08-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Now that it's too late, I'll say that I'm very very happy with my K20D, which I got in large part so I wouldn't be tempted to 'upgrade' anytime soon... BUT that if I were buying today, I would get a K5, which is reputedly further beyond the K20, than the K20 is beyond the K200. At least I'd get a K5 if I could afford it!! Why? Because I think its technology will be useful longer. Older tech would leave me with that maybe-I-should-upgrade fungus in my brain. I expect to continue to use the K20 for years to come... at least till I get another inheritance and can afford the latest. C'mon and die, somebody!