Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K10D bulb & light painting

My friend who is borrowing my backup DSLR (that I haven't used quite so much) and doesn't have much experience wants to do some light painting. I also haven't done any light painting.

I don't recall: does the K10D's bulb mode allow one click to open the shutter and one click to close it? Can you access bulb mode from manual mode or does it have to be set to "B"?

And for those who have done light painting, how do you recommend doing it?

f/8 and ISO 100 with bulb mode? Cover the lens between exposures (depending on ambient light or if they want to get around between shots)? TAv mode with f/8 and however much time they think they'll need? Is 30 seconds enough?

Last edited by Eruditass; 08-13-2011 at 10:16 AM.
08-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bulb mode you hold the shutter what do you want 1 second or 2 second or 5 second you decide. Then off. Smile
08-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Can you select bulb mode in manual or must you be in "B" mode?
08-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Not sure about K-X. I know My K-7 I use B mode for lights and move painting depend how seconds until done.

08-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
On the K-x there is no bulb mode on the dial, I set it in manual mode after 30". My friend is using my K10D, where I can't recall. On your K-7, can you still get to bulb in manual mode or must you turn to B?
08-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Oh ok. I use B mode. You can use Multi-exposure what you want how many times also look for shutter "sorry" low like 3 second or 10 second during dark. .

Last edited by Danny Delcambre; 08-13-2011 at 10:45 AM.
08-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
My friend who is borrowing my backup DSLR (that I haven't used quite so much) and doesn't have much experience wants to do some light painting. I also haven't done any light painting.

I don't recall: does the K10D's bulb mode allow one click to open the shutter and one click to close it? Can you access bulb mode from manual mode or does it have to be set to "B"?

And for those who have done light painting, how do you recommend doing it?

f/8 and ISO 100 with bulb mode? Cover the lens between exposures (depending on ambient light or if they want to get around between shots)? TAv mode with f/8 and however much time they think they'll need? Is 30 seconds enough?
F8 and iso 100 aren't a bad place to start. Also, you can get a lot accomplished in 20 to 30 seconds. Its better to start with shorter times until one develops some experience with the process. On the K10 and K20 (don't have my K10 anymore), in B mode you have to hold the shutter down, and keep it held down until you released it, unless someone knows a provision of the Custom menu. I eventually bought a cable shutter control for the Pentax off ebay (yongnuo brand) it wasn't that expensive and controlled shutter for B exposures easily. Also had controls for interval shooting up to 99 hours, etc. Highly recommend getting remote cable control for B mode as holding the shutter down is a drag and leads to fuzzy pictures due to the hand control.

I believe on the Kx, one could buy an infrared device to do the same thing but never had a kx so don't have the facts on that. probably could do a search on PF to find information on it.

08-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Or you can use Tv mode. It can change shutter.
08-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, but Tv can't enter in bulb mode for sure, and of course the metering will be fooled due to just measuring the ambient light.

Yeah, on the K-x you can start then stop with any IR remote, I don't recall is the K10D has this. I also don't remember if the K-5 lets you do that without the remote.
08-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think 10second is enough by using M mode.
Using M mode is way better than Tv when you are doing light painting.
In K10D, you switch to B for bulb mode.
08-14-2011, 03:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I sold my K10D a while back, but if I recall correctly, the K10D's bulb mode does not allow one click to open, one click to close; i.e. you have to hold down the shutter button (I used to use an corded remote shutter release that had a lock button, and that worked).

Can you select bulb mode in manual or must you be in "B" mode?
No, the K10D must be in B mode on the selection dial. The longest shutter speed in M mode is 30s.

On your K-7, can you still get to bulb in manual mode or must you turn to B?
Same as the K10D, the K-7 must be in B mode for bulb; otherwise the longest shutter speed in M mode is 30s.

I don't recall is the K10D has this. I also don't remember if the K-5 lets you do that without the remote.
No, the K10D doesn't. The K-7 and K-5 do allow one-press start, 2nd press stop, but only with a remote; it doesn't allow you to do so with the shutter button on the camera.
08-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I looked my old K10D have buld mode. K10D don't have TaV mode. I remember I use B mode my K10D and painting lioght. You hold the shutter what you want 10 to 30 second. It work fine.
08-15-2011, 04:51 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
I looked my old K10D have buld mode. K10D don't have TaV mode. I remember I use B mode my K10D and painting lioght. You hold the shutter what you want 10 to 30 second. It work fine.
My K10D certainly does have TAv mode. I haven't done this before, but I thought you could use the Remote F to trigger the shutter open and closed with a press of the button. Am I remembering that wrong?
08-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Sorry. I looked again my k10D and oh yes TAv mode. My K10D broke about a year ago. I didn't send it for repair. Also my k-7 still in factory for repair. I need to have back up. I am thinking my k10d send to repair in future. Sad.
08-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #15
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
I sold my K10D a while back, but if I recall correctly, the K10D's bulb mode does not allow one click to open, one click to close; i.e. you have to hold down the shutter button (I used to use an corded remote shutter release that had a lock button, and that worked).
Yes, I can confirm this behavior. Pretty annoying.

I believe K-7 was the first model to allow button presses to indicate start and end of exposure.