Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Ev Bar In M Mode

When I take a picture with my k10d in the raw setting in m mode and the ev bar in the camera is in the middle the picture in photoshop 2 looks dark. In photoshop2 the auto setting of the picture in the exposure bar is aways moved up a lot and so is the brightness bar to make the picture better.why is my picture looking so dark before adjusting. Can I set the camera to be over exposed all the time so when the ev bar is in the middle it won't be underexposed like it is now. thanks for your help Steve

11-26-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can bracket the picture +/- to see what exposure looks best, then you can just set the EV+ to match. But I don't know if that it the best solution to your problem.
11-27-2007, 02:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Check the image on the camera screen. Is it underexposed there, too?
Check the histogram on the camera screen.
If it's ok on the camera, it is a Photoshop problem.
If it's dark on the camera screen, too, it seems to be a camera problem.
11-27-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk10duser Quote
When I take a picture with my k10d in the raw setting in m mode and the ev bar in the camera is in the middle the picture in photoshop 2 looks dark. In photoshop2 the auto setting of the picture in the exposure bar is aways moved up a lot and so is the brightness bar to make the picture better.why is my picture looking so dark before adjusting. Can I set the camera to be over exposed all the time so when the ev bar is in the middle it won't be underexposed like it is now. thanks for your help Steve
One thing to check is to open the image in PS2, and also open it on the camera LCD. Compare the brightness levels. It might be your monitor is darker than the camera. The next step is to take a shot and print it without modification to see if the print is good.

Another check is to change the metering pattern. Take the same shot in the three metering patterns to see if there is an exposure difference. (The patterns are under the mode dial). On other forums I note that many pros use center weighted in preference to matrix. Spot can be best, if you study up and use it consistently enough to get used to it.

I wish Mr. Pentax would add spot averaging to the functions. My wet ware isn't as fast as it used to be. I think it was one of the Olympus OM series that allowed you to take a whole bunch (8?) spot meterings and set the camera to use the average.

11-27-2007, 09:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Buddha,blende8and Canada.thanks for your help. the histogram is not the same on ps2 as it is on the camera there is no white hill in ps2 but there is in the camera .In the camera the white is the highest hill .I moved the histogram in ps2 to match whats on the camera and it started looking good .It looked like the LCD when I finished . So what the heck is going on . is there a program out there that takes what the camera is giving it and shows it on the computer screen,so I can print a picture like what the camera recorded. I tryed the patterns all three there was no differance the white mound or hill was just not there in ps2 . would some one else try this that has ps2 . just take a picture with the ev bar in the middle in the m mode and check the histogram and look at the white in ps2 and look at the white in the camera and let me know if its the same or not . thanks again Steve
11-28-2007, 01:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ok, be happy, this is not a camera fault!

When you open up a RAW file in Photoshop you will get an extra window.
Top right you will see the histogram.
Below the histogram you will see a pull down menue.
Try several settings.
I suspect that there is a wrong setting set as default.
11-29-2007, 01:31 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks blende8 .If I want to see the picture just as I took it what setting should I have under the histogram . I put the same picture in the program I got with the k10d the pentax lab and the picture looks the same there as it did in ps2 there was no white. on the camera screen the picture looks good . do you think the info from the camera is not getting to the programs . the picture I took was a bow sight on top of a white napkin. the napkin in both programs when the picture opens is brown looking .to fix it I have to move the temp lower than what it started off with down to 3150 to make the napkin look white . One more thing under the histogram in ps2 is the auto setting the setting of the picture I took with out change or is the auto setting what ps2 does to make it look better. thanks for your help Steve