Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
Forum Member

Can I use this flash meter with the K10D?

Can anyone identify or explain this flash meter a little bit? I bought it without any manual or documentation. Im guessing you turn it on, set your iso, the max sync speed on your camera (1/180th on the K10D), fire the strobes and get the f-stop reading from the meter? And sliding the white dome controls incident versus reflective measuring mode?
I do wonder what the word MULTI means on the dial and the number listed to the left of it. Does the jack on the side of the meter mean I have to hook it up to my hot shoe?

I do wish I had the manual for this meter, if anyone can fill me in, Id appreciate it.

11-26-2007, 09:44 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hi Kemal,

I've never used a meter exactly like that before. Maybe this link can lead you to manual for it

Capital Exposure meters :: Capital Meter Model EF-1

The model shown on that page is later than the one you have, but they might be able to guide you if you can provide a model number.

That being said, you don't use a flash meter with your camera, so much as with your lights. You were largely correct in how to use it: Turn it on, set ISO to match camera ISO setting, set shutter speed to max sync speed or slower, (though I can't see how to set a shutter speed on that meter-it might be preset to something like 1/125, a lot of older flash meters were). Now, using the sync cord that came with your flash, you want to attach your master flash to the PC socket on the left side of the meter, next to the DIN setting. Then you trigger the flash (probably with the switch on the upper right side, near where the dome is in your photo). At this point, my guess is that one of the LEDs behind the MULTI window will light to indicate the f-stop you should use. Then you attach the sync cord to the K10D via a hot shoe safe sync, set the aperture on the lens based on the flash meter, and fire away.

BTW. The MULTI window is there to help calculate/compensate for the reciprocity effect. As exposure times increase, film gets less sensitive, so a lot of flash meters had multi pop settings to take some of the guess work out of it. A handy feature for slobs like me who were doing product photography with large format cameras and underpowered flash systems.
11-26-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Can I just use it on my subject without the pc cord connected to the hotshoe? It didn't come with one- and I had used a similar flash meter just by holding the meter in front of the subject and firing the strobes?
11-26-2007, 10:16 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I'm a little confused by your question.

Yes, you can use the meter (if it has a "trigger and wait for flash" mode), without having it attached to the flash head, but how do you trigger the flash head if it's not "connected" (via sync cord, radio slave or infrared slave) to the camera? Other than the 'Turn off lights-open shutter-manually trigger flash-close shutter-turn lights on' method?