Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 03:19 AM   #1

Pentax K20D battery life

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, i just want to ask.
How is the battery life for Pentax K20D?
how many spare batteriesshould i buy. I shot ~200 photos in one week (or more). Do you think a third party batteries are as good as the original one?Here's an example.

Vertical Battery Grip for Pentax K10D/K20D+2 D-Li50 | eBay

oh, and what do you think about the battery grip?

Thanks a lot guys. Really appreciate it.

08-15-2011, 03:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, third party batteries are pretty bad as far as battery life goes.

I recommend the genuine grip with a Pentax battery, which should let you take some 1500 shots.
08-15-2011, 04:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

I recommend the genuine grip with a Pentax battery, which should let you take some 1500 shots.
I have to agree with this. Also, the battery shelf life for mine is more than 3 months, in and out of camera, with at least 50% charge left without use. (pretty sad not having used it for that long).

Edit: I own 3 batteries and I usually run out of card space before I run out of charge on all 3.
08-15-2011, 04:46 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I have 2 Pentax batteries and 2 third-party (actually they are 'good' ones with manufacturer's label on it). Both are almost equal in life.

As for grip - it's very handy. I've found it useful, the camera became more stable and ergonomic, fits in your hand better. I've found I can shoot about two times longer before I feel pain in my fingers (using K20 with flash and heavy lens) besides the camera became heavier.

08-15-2011, 04:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

It depends on the battery I guess. I got an Impact replacement from B&H and there is litterally no difference between that and the original. I can't tell them apart by using them.

The battery in the K20D is a very, very common battery format long used by Minolta. It's pretty ubiquitous.

QuoteOriginally posted by basikal_kusayang Quote
How is the battery life for Pentax K20D?
I probably take over 700 shots before I start worrying.

QuoteOriginally posted by basikal_kusayang Quote
how many spare batteriesshould i buy
I have one spare.
08-15-2011, 05:29 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi guys. Thanks again for helping out. I'll probably buy both (original and third party). and the battery grip just has to wait untill i got a lot of money and i dont know what else to buy.lol..

anyway, what do you think about used genuine battery?any good?because someone is selling it online and i was thinking to buy it.
08-15-2011, 05:30 AM   #7

Batteries

I have one Pentax battery and one after-market battery, and I use them interchangeably. That is, at the end of the day I'll pull the one out that I've been using and put it in the charger and put the other one in for the next time. Neither battery has run out, but given the length of time it takes to recharge the batteries I suspect that the original Pentax battery is much better than the after-market one. As to a used Pentax battery, i might buy one if I had confidence in the seller's assurance about it and the price was in the after-market ball-park.

I've probably never taken more than 300 shots in a day; so it was interesting to read about people who take 700 without a problem.

08-15-2011, 05:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Get a 3rd party battery with the same mAH rating. Sometimes they sell ones with lower mAH which means less life. I have no problem with my third party battery and charger.
08-15-2011, 05:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Fully charged original plus the grip have lasted nearly 2 months and 1000shots I love it

cheers
08-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #10

I have a K20D + D-BG2 grip, that's two batteries, plus two spare batteries. Fully charged, they give me three months shooting, around 3000 images in total, but I rarely shoot that many.
08-15-2011, 06:51 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I've never had any problems with 3rd party batteries but I always make sure they have the capacity (rated) of the original. I don't count how many shots I take between charges, I just make sure I always have at least one charged battery on hand.

08-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Actually, I have 3 Konica-Minolta batteries and the original Pentax and they are about equal. At the time I got them, they were about $10 from BH vs. $50 for the Pentax ones. That gives me the option of 1 in the grip, 1 in the cam and a pair of spares.
08-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Actually, I have 3 Konica-Minolta batteries and the original Pentax and they are about equal. At the time I got them, they were about $10 from BH vs. $50 for the Pentax ones. That gives me the option of 1 in the grip, 1 in the cam and a pair of spares.
Same here. The Minolta batteries were dirt cheap, but "name brand". I saw no difference between them and the Pentax batteries. I used the Pentax grip on the K20D and it worked great.

On my K5, I bought a third-party grip and batteries and it works fine. Well made and no issues. The batteries seem to work like the originals for me, meaning they last forever. Note that I only shoot a handful of shots at a time, so a charged battery will last several weeks or over a month for me. Even on vacations, I take a few hundred shots at most so I never run out of juice.
08-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply guys. Anyway, i dont think the third part battery is that bad, as long as it gives me time to recharge again my other batteries, thats fine for me. anyway,where can I find this minolta batteries?can someone post the link here? Cheers..
08-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #15

Original Poster
oh,and one more thing,is it ok if I use a battery with a capacity of 1750 mah or 1800 mah? can i use the original battery charger?