Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2006, 11:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you don't have them bad (ie don't notice them in normal photos) don't look for them..

I only really used that 'test' as I was noticing them a lot in normal photos and I wanted clear 'evidence' for the warranty repair...

12-18-2006, 07:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
its a shame they dont make it user fixable.. some think duff pixels are normal but i dont on a new camera.. my son took two back for exchange till he found a sample that didnt have the problem..

trog
Let me know what happens in a year or so. These things just grow out of nowhere.
12-18-2006, 07:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
i think they fix them under warrantee.. what puzzles me is why so many 100ds seem to have them.. i have seen them in a few review nightshots.. my sons second k100 was worse than his first.. he then spent an hour in the shop testing out the third one before accepting it..

he has an olympus E20 which has user available pixel mapping.. either pentax need to start shipping cameras with less of them in the first place or biuild something in the firmware so that people can get rid of them their selves..

he did ask the pentax people about pixel mapping but didnt get much of an answer.. but they do fix them under warrantee and accept they shouldnt be there..

my camera has a much later production run number than any of the three my son has had.. it might be an early run thing and they might have improved things i dont know.. this one comes down to how long the camers have sat on the shop shelves probably..

trog
Mapping just covers them up, it doesn't fix them. Some RAW conversion software will "map them" out in conversion. I'm not exactly happy there there either, but it's silly to obsess over them. My D went from about 3 to over 30 in the course of 2 years. Came back from repairs w/ 5 (in different spots BTW) so I assume they replaced the sensor (that was standard US proceedure last I knew). What is a hot pixel? 6 micron square, then enlarged. 6-10 Million switches. Even CPU's can have bad transistors but unfortunately there not in the "visible" region....
12-18-2006, 08:38 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh, I understand that it doesn't fix them...but I'd rather it be covered up in the camera rather than requiring me to be on my personal computer running them through some photoshop script.

I do hope that you're wrong about sensor replacement being the standard US procedure. All I want is for the one pixel to be mapped out. Yeah, I know it's one pixel in 10 million, but it's really frustrating to me that my previous Sony and Minolta cameras made this problem end-user fixable.

12-18-2006, 09:19 PM   #20
mcm

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
Put the cap on your lens and set to manual and 1/30 and whatever apeture, now take a shot, should be black (no stars)... lower ISOs should be none, ISO 1600 it is possible we all have some..

If you don't notice them in pics (I did as I had a cluster) it is better not to know they are there, as once you notice them you can't forget..
No I mean.. how do you FIND the pixels in the resulting image!

Surely there's a sneaky way in CS2 to find pixels that aren't a particular colour? I panned over the image and only found a dead pixel on my LCD monitor..
12-18-2006, 09:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sklathill Quote
Oh, I understand that it doesn't fix them...but I'd rather it be covered up in the camera rather than requiring me to be on my personal computer running them through some photoshop script.

I do hope that you're wrong about sensor replacement being the standard US procedure. All I want is for the one pixel to be mapped out. Yeah, I know it's one pixel in 10 million, but it's really frustrating to me that my previous Sony and Minolta cameras made this problem end-user fixable.
As I mentioned some RAW converters do it automatically so your intervention is not necessary. As to in camera jpg, thought most of those disappear when processed/compressed. Where are you seeing yours? jpg or RAW? I know sometimes the ones in jpg don't just magically disappear, but some do. Printing, same thing.
Been so long since I worried about them, I'll have to think (and look) about this again......though I've had to "spot touch" a few in the TIFF's...
12-18-2006, 10:00 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I see them in my in-camera jpegs. I've only had the camera for a few days and saw that green pixel in virtually all my photos with this camera since the beginning. I shoot virtually all handheld in indoor and night situations, mostly casuals and candids.

With the amount of shots I take, I'd rather not have to do a raw workflow.
12-18-2006, 10:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcm Quote
No I mean.. how do you FIND the pixels in the resulting image!

Surely there's a sneaky way in CS2 to find pixels that aren't a particular colour? I panned over the image and only found a dead pixel on my LCD monitor..
Ohh, on a dark background they stand out.. ACR if you process RAW files with it automatically removes them without telling you...

12-18-2006, 11:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
I never thought I'd be taking photos with the lens cap ON

You're obviously not an experienced photographer like me. I have been taking pictures with the lens cap on for years! :-)

Will
12-19-2006, 10:51 AM   #25
Veteran Member

my sons comment about this was simple.. u dont get them even with cheapo point and shoots.. why on earth should i get them on my expensive dslr..

its a well tried and tested 6 mega pixel sensor it should not have them at least when new.. it aint exactly pushing new technology to its limits is it..

i assume all sensors have some.. which means pentax should at least map then out before shipping the cameras out for sale..

but the real answer it let the user do them as they appear.. nobody wants blo-dy pink dots appearing all over their pictures..

its not something we should just accept.. its something we should whinge about..

its a damn good job phil askey didnt find any in his recent k10 review..

i can just imagine all the fanboys saying they like them and pentax quite clearly intended them to be part of the overall image quality.. he he he

trog