Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hot pixels, pixel mapping, and the Pentax Warranty?

Yeah I have a hot pixel. Yeah I know that I could live with it and deal with it myself in photoshop or what not. It is noticeable to me at handheld shutter speeds and mid-ISO on the shots I've taken recently...

So I was wondering if it is possible to get this mapped out in the camera some how, if it's end user serviceable, and if it is not, if it's possible to get Pentax to do it under warranty service.

I saw a forum post that said that in some countries Pentax service does do software mapping while in Pentax UK specifically they actually change out the sensor.

What's the solution in the US?

12-17-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't think it is user fixable, but I had a dozen or so at ISO 200 on my ist DS and I took it back to the Pentax service center and they mapped it out for me under warranty.. They kept my camera for a couple of days, I think I took it in on a Monday and got it express posted out to me on the Thursday...
12-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #3

I'm going to sound like a newb, which I am to the dslr world. But what exactly is hot pixels/pixel mapping?
12-17-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I actually had stuck pixels which are pixels that show as constant red (or blue) dots.. so I could take a picture of white wall and had little red dots...

Hot pixels do a similar thing but tend to only happen under longer exposures and higher ISOs... Whereas stuck pixels occur no matter the length of the exposure or ISO..

Pixel mapping means they tell the processor in the camera to dump (ignore) these few pixels (out of the 6 million it means very little to dump a few)..

12-17-2006, 09:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

its a shame they dont make it user fixable.. some think duff pixels are normal but i dont on a new camera.. my son took two back for exchange till he found a sample that didnt have the problem..

trog
12-17-2006, 09:24 PM   #6
mcm

Question: What test can you do to determine this.

Doesn't seem like an easy thing to spot if you had say, less than 10 bad pixels total.

If you had several thousand well sure.. maybe that would be more noticeable.
12-17-2006, 09:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Put the cap on your lens and set to manual and 1/30 and whatever apeture, now take a shot, should be black (no stars)... lower ISOs should be none, ISO 1600 it is possible we all have some..

If you don't notice them in pics (I did as I had a cluster) it is better not to know they are there, as once you notice them you can't forget..

12-17-2006, 09:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

they show up worse at slow shutter speeds 1/30 is way to fast a test.. low light shutter speeds of around 1/15 of a second against darkish background will bring them out..

and it only take one pink dot against a darkish background and once u know its there it sticks out like a saw thumb and irritates u each time u see it.. he he

but if u cant see any u dont have a problem.. i have never noticed any on my camera but then again i aint gone looking for em..

trog
12-17-2006, 10:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

But to show stuck (not hot) pixels they still show up at ISO 200 and 1/30 (mine did anyway, thats why they fixed it under warranty)..

Last edited by joele; 12-17-2006 at 10:33 PM.
12-17-2006, 10:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
its a shame they dont make it user fixable.. some think duff pixels are normal but i dont on a new camera.. my son took two back for exchange till he found a sample that didnt have the problem..

trog

weird thing is... my wife's old 3mp olympus stylus 300 has pixel remaping.
she never had a problem in the years she owned it with hot pixels, so I have no idea how well it works, if at all.

randy
12-17-2006, 10:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yes pixel mapping is on the top of my firmware update wish list ;-)
12-18-2006, 12:12 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
12 hot pixels is pretty bad! Right now, I have just one pixel that shows up at handheld speed...and I think it's the only one. Pretty annoying, though. Does Pentax set a threshold for number of hot pixels before they do anything with it?
12-18-2006, 06:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

i think they fix them under warrantee.. what puzzles me is why so many 100ds seem to have them.. i have seen them in a few review nightshots.. my sons second k100 was worse than his first.. he then spent an hour in the shop testing out the third one before accepting it..

he has an olympus E20 which has user available pixel mapping.. either pentax need to start shipping cameras with less of them in the first place or biuild something in the firmware so that people can get rid of them their selves..

he did ask the pentax people about pixel mapping but didnt get much of an answer.. but they do fix them under warrantee and accept they shouldnt be there..

my camera has a much later production run number than any of the three my son has had.. it might be an early run thing and they might have improved things i dont know.. this one comes down to how long the camers have sat on the shop shelves probably..

trog
12-18-2006, 08:00 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I should have my k100d in a day or so, and will do the test.

I never thought I'd be taking photos with the lens cap ON
12-18-2006, 11:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

"I never thought I'd be taking photos with the lens cap ON"

dont worry too much about it.. its just a beginning.. hours of similar pointless pixel peeping will inevitably follow.. its just part of the game..

trog