Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #1

settings or sports pictures

I am new to DSLR and am trying to learn the K10D - Not having the icons for the
various settings and not having a great knowledge base I was hoping to get some
suggestions - Someone told me to set the Program line to Hi Speed and A.F.C. - Do I
then shoot in P - how do I get the camera to shoot consecutive pictures??

Thanks for the help

Last edited by newuser; 11-27-2007 at 12:17 PM.
11-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Others will be in here soon and I'm sure they will remind you of the ISO settings.

If the K10 is anything like the istD, you keep your finger on the shutter and presto.
11-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure if theK10d is the same but there should be a setting in Fn for bracketting, I usually use Av mode when doing action events, but it really depends on the look you want

You may want to pull out the manual and have a read....there is a lot of good info in there....I have learned a lot every time I opened it.
11-27-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Multi-frame is under the Fn button.

QuoteOriginally posted by newuser Quote
suggestions - Someone told me to set the Program line to Hi Speed and A.F.C. - Do I

Thanks for the help

11-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hmm - this is about as subjective as well, I dunno..

Anyway - here's something you can try.. (in daylight)

in M mode

Set aperture to lowest number (f-stop) (by the way, what lenses do you have?)
Set the shutter speed for 1/250 (this is to start - it may be too slow or too fast)
Set the ISO for ISO 200
Set the White Balance for AWB (for now - you can tweak later)

Go out and shoot at things that move - Is the photo properly exposed? Did you freeze the action? Is the photo blurry? Is it too dark?
11-27-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Thanks for the help
First of all, I am not well versed in my K10D yet. I will say this though. Sports shots do not really mean Hi Speed. In sports you are trying to gather as much light as possible and still have enough shutter speed to stp motion. Now, outdoor sports in the daytime obviously aren't much of a problem, however, indoor events without a flash can be tough.

In other words, I can't answer your question until you say exactly what you are trying to do.

Here's what I have been trying at Basketball games.

Av setting.
50mm-135mm lens always set at f2.8
ISO at 1600 (I do not like the noise I got last game so I am going to set it to 1100 tonight and report back)

Shutter speeds were averaging 160-180. I'm hoping to maintain 90-120 when I go to 1100.

Like I said, I'm new to the K10D and I am taking baby steps to get to my goal of clean pictures.

Tom

P.S. To you pro's out there, I realize I could be doing things ass backwards, but I'm trying. I might go Tv and set to 125fpm and give that a try.

Last edited by magnum1; 11-27-2007 at 02:43 PM.
11-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
First of all, I am not well versed in my K10D yet. I will say this though. Sports shots do not really mean Hi Speed. In sports you are trying to gather as much light as possible and still have enough shutter speed to stp motion. Now, outdoor sports in the daytime obviously aren't much of a problem, however, indoor events without a flash can be tough.

In other words, I can't answer your question until you say exactly what you are trying to do.

Here's what I have been trying at Basketball games.

Av setting.
50mm-135mm lens always set at f2.8
ISO at 1600 (I do not like the noise I got last game so I am going to set it to 1100 tonight and report back)

Shutter speeds were averaging 160-180. I'm hoping to maintain 90-120 when I go to 1100.

Like I said, I'm new to the K10D and I am taking baby steps to get to my goal of clean pictures.

Tom

P.S. To you pro's out there, I realize I could be doing things ass backwards, but I'm trying. I might go Tv and set to 125fpm and give that a try.
I tend to use one stop down from max when I can get away with it. That little bit of extra depth of field can be handy.

I would lean towards manual exposure rather than auto. This can be tricky when the players move in and out of the bright light, as in a basketball game, but I like the consistent exposures from shot to shot. I will modify the exposure for what I am shooting. I tend to take a game in sections. I will shoot one type of shot for a while, then another, and so forth. I also use Manual Focus virtually exclusively. I cannot afford a Canon Mk III, and would probably use it in MF anyway. AF is much over rated. I know the player size I want, and focus for that.

In basketball, I use a 28mm lens under the basket, looking out a fair bit. My editors have liked it. (I string for weeklies). The trick here is to keep the camera as vertical as you can to avoid the perspective distortion on the players.

11-27-2007, 05:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I;ll give you my equestrian settings i use.

Shutter priority at nothing less than 1/1000.

I usually set iso at 250 to get 1/1250

This usually gives me an Ap around F4ish which still gives me decent DOF for the photo.

I shoot AF-S at single frame capture unless i shoot western, were they do slides etc then i set up for 3-4 fps, which is more than enough to get a few decent slides or barrell turns.

YMMV

Dave
11-27-2007, 05:55 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you for the help from all - I have a Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Lens that I was going to use - My boys have a tournament outside this weekend that I will try the settings and see what happens - This is all new so I am hoping to come away with some decent pictures -
11-28-2007, 06:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thank you for the help from all - I have a Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Lens that I was going to use - My boys have a tournament outside this weekend that I will try the settings and see what happens - This is all new so I am hoping to come away with some decent pictures -
One thing you might want to try, and the few times i did it, it seemed to be ok, is use the Tav mode. Set your shutter and Ap you want, and let the auto ISO do its thing.

I shot for about two weeks in this mode and was very pleased on how it worked.

Dave

Last edited by pentkon52; 11-28-2007 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Spelling
11-28-2007, 11:41 AM   #11
MUD

various settings and not having a great knowledge base
I was hoping to get some

Thanks for the help
Hi Newuser -

Page 75 of your owners/users manual will help you with multiple exposure.

Shoot this outdoor event in P mode, but adjust shutterspeed to at least 1/500 with the command dial, aperture will adjust automatically to your selected shutterspeed.

Select AF-C and I would use centerpoint autofocus and follow the boys with the af sensor in the middle of the screen. You can try the multi af sensor selection but may have trouble with focusing on your intended target.

ISO setting on 200 in good daylight. Higher if cloudy, early morning, late afternoon. Maybe auto iso would work, never used it.

I have described the simplest of settings, so, that you may concentrate on the shots. Read your manual, study exposure (Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson) and use the camera before gameday. Eventually, with a solid understanding of exposure, you'll jump to using shutter priority, aperture priority and manual modes.

All the best -

Jonathan
Disclaimer - Not a K10d owner....yet!

Last edited by MUD; 11-28-2007 at 11:53 AM.
11-28-2007, 01:20 PM   #12

Original Poster
thank you

thanks so much for the help - I am completely new to learning about exposure and am
glad to have somewhere to start!