Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
New Member
stephenv2's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Greensboro, NC 27410
Posts: 3
Continuous Mode - best settings for performance

I just ordered a K10d which will arrive tomorrow

It will be my first digital still camera (I'm a filmmaker and have shot digital video for 8 years). I sold my film SLR last year and have shot still and motion picture film on/off since I was a kid.

I will be using my K10d for regular still photography but will also be using it for a special form of filmmaking I invented. The method involves shooting still photos at around 3fps and using specialized software (Twixtor inside Adobe After Effects to create 24fps). You can see my first effort shot with film SLR and 3fps motordrive here: YouTube - Crisp Yellow Flowers

I will be using mostly manual focus at around 1/50th shutter speed. I assume I can turn off noise reduction. Any other settings to turn off to improve speed? I did order Sandisk Extreme III cards.

11-27-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member
jfdavis58's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 13 S 0357397-3884316
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 876
OOOhhhhh gawd, ANOTHER ARTIST!?!?!?!?.....


Interesting, maybe evocative in a small way; but a word of advise: be careful of claims of invention, discovery, creation---slow scan video has been around quite a while.


QuoteOriginally posted by stephenv2 Quote
I just ordered a K10d which will arrive tomorrow

It will be my first digital still camera (I'm a filmmaker and have shot digital video for 8 years). I sold my film SLR last year and have shot still and motion picture film on/off since I was a kid.

I will be using my K10d for regular still photography but will also be using it for a special form of filmmaking I invented. The method involves shooting still photos at around 3fps and using specialized software (Twixtor inside Adobe After Effects to create 24fps). You can see my first effort shot with film SLR and 3fps motordrive here: YouTube - Crisp Yellow Flowers

I will be using mostly manual focus at around 1/50th shutter speed. I assume I can turn off noise reduction. Any other settings to turn off to improve speed? I did order Sandisk Extreme III cards.
11-27-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
New Member
stephenv2's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Greensboro, NC 27410
Posts: 3
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
OOOhhhhh gawd, ANOTHER ARTIST!?!?!?!?.....


Interesting, maybe evocative in a small way; but a word of advise: be careful of claims of invention, discovery, creation---slow scan video has been around quite a while.
Valid point but since frame interpolation has not, AFAIK this was the first use of Twixtor in this fashion. This is not slow scan video, BTW.

I'm not claiming sole invention - some else probably has done it - but AFAIK, but I did come up with the technique after tons of research online back in 2004 and found nothing.

A guy in saw this film back in 2004 from my posts at DVinfo.net about it and has really refined it well:

reservoir2
11-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Lloydy's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 1,114
So, some software turns stills into movie?

That seems like a lot of effort to get a video.

11-27-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
New Member
stephenv2's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Greensboro, NC 27410
Posts: 3
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
So, some software turns stills into movie?

That seems like a lot of effort to get a video.
Video camera that shoot 3500 X 2500 pixel images in 16-bit color = RED (RED / Index), basic setup runs about $25-30,000, back-ordered for months. RED is 1/5th the price of it's competition, so you are talking six figures for something you can actually get.

K10d with AC adaptors, cards, extra batts etc. etc., $1000 - less than a one-day RED rental. Of course, this method is far more limited (no audio, limited takes) but I'm using it for a short art film (3 minutes long and this techniques only for about 60 seconds).
11-27-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,446
QuoteOriginally posted by stephenv2 Quote
I just ordered a K10d which will arrive tomorrow

It will be my first digital still camera (I'm a filmmaker and have shot digital video for 8 years). I sold my film SLR last year and have shot still and motion picture film on/off since I was a kid.

I will be using my K10d for regular still photography but will also be using it for a special form of filmmaking I invented. The method involves shooting still photos at around 3fps and using specialized software (Twixtor inside Adobe After Effects to create 24fps). You can see my first effort shot with film SLR and 3fps motordrive here: YouTube - Crisp Yellow Flowers

I will be using mostly manual focus at around 1/50th shutter speed. I assume I can turn off noise reduction. Any other settings to turn off to improve speed? I did order Sandisk Extreme III cards.
I think you have done everything you can. MF is critical, and you have done that. The K10D should be able to take 10mp *** JPEGs at 3 fps until your card is full, according to the tests I have read. It won't work with RAW, though. 9 frames seems to be about the maximum before the buffer is full. Make sure your shutter speed is not too slow, the shutter timing is added to the 1/3 sec. If it's 1/1000, I won't notice, but if you get 2 fps, you might.
11-28-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Lloydy's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 1,114
QuoteOriginally posted by stephenv2 Quote
Video camera that shoot 3500 X 2500 pixel images in 16-bit color = RED (RED / Index), basic setup runs about $25-30,000, back-ordered for months. RED is 1/5th the price of it's competition, so you are talking six figures for something you can actually get.

K10d with AC adaptors, cards, extra batts etc. etc., $1000 - less than a one-day RED rental. Of course, this method is far more limited (no audio, limited takes) but I'm using it for a short art film (3 minutes long and this techniques only for about 60 seconds).
I thought there must be a reason, it just seemed a huge effort for a "movie".
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, film, k10d, photography, settings, shot, slr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K10D seems to have a very usable continuous mode Christine Tham Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 10-12-2010 11:00 AM
Help with continuous shooting mode! PentX Girl Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 02-17-2010 04:26 PM
Continuous shooting mode at K 10D, please help! Pedro Ernesto Guerra Azevedo Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 10-25-2009 06:36 PM
AF-540 FGZ with drive mode/continuous shooting. MRBHV Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 2 02-26-2009 06:40 PM
Continuous shooting mode issue? ecce38 Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 03-03-2007 08:10 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:16 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top