Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #1

Continuous Mode - best settings for performance

I just ordered a K10d which will arrive tomorrow

It will be my first digital still camera (I'm a filmmaker and have shot digital video for 8 years). I sold my film SLR last year and have shot still and motion picture film on/off since I was a kid.

I will be using my K10d for regular still photography but will also be using it for a special form of filmmaking I invented. The method involves shooting still photos at around 3fps and using specialized software (Twixtor inside Adobe After Effects to create 24fps). You can see my first effort shot with film SLR and 3fps motordrive here: YouTube - Crisp Yellow Flowers

I will be using mostly manual focus at around 1/50th shutter speed. I assume I can turn off noise reduction. Any other settings to turn off to improve speed? I did order Sandisk Extreme III cards.

11-27-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OOOhhhhh gawd, ANOTHER ARTIST!?!?!?!?.....

Interesting, maybe evocative in a small way; but a word of advise: be careful of claims of invention, discovery, creation---slow scan video has been around quite a while.

QuoteOriginally posted by stephenv2 Quote

It will be my first digital still camera (I'm a filmmaker and have shot digital video for 8 years). I sold my film SLR last year and have shot still and motion picture film on/off since I was a kid.

I will be using my K10d for regular still photography but will also be using it for a special form of filmmaking I invented. The method involves shooting still photos at around 3fps and using specialized software (Twixtor inside Adobe After Effects to create 24fps). You can see my first effort shot with film SLR and 3fps motordrive here: YouTube - Crisp Yellow Flowers

I will be using mostly manual focus at around 1/50th shutter speed. I assume I can turn off noise reduction. Any other settings to turn off to improve speed? I did order Sandisk Extreme III cards.
11-27-2007, 02:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
OOOhhhhh gawd, ANOTHER ARTIST!?!?!?!?.....

Interesting, maybe evocative in a small way; but a word of advise: be careful of claims of invention, discovery, creation---slow scan video has been around quite a while.
Valid point but since frame interpolation has not, AFAIK this was the first use of Twixtor in this fashion. This is not slow scan video, BTW.

I'm not claiming sole invention - some else probably has done it - but AFAIK, but I did come up with the technique after tons of research online back in 2004 and found nothing.

A guy in saw this film back in 2004 from my posts at DVinfo.net about it and has really refined it well:

reservoir2
11-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

So, some software turns stills into movie?

That seems like a lot of effort to get a video.

11-27-2007, 03:38 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
So, some software turns stills into movie?

That seems like a lot of effort to get a video.
Video camera that shoot 3500 X 2500 pixel images in 16-bit color = RED (RED / Index), basic setup runs about $25-30,000, back-ordered for months. RED is 1/5th the price of it's competition, so you are talking six figures for something you can actually get.

K10d with AC adaptors, cards, extra batts etc. etc., $1000 - less than a one-day RED rental. Of course, this method is far more limited (no audio, limited takes) but I'm using it for a short art film (3 minutes long and this techniques only for about 60 seconds).
11-27-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I think you have done everything you can. MF is critical, and you have done that. The K10D should be able to take 10mp *** JPEGs at 3 fps until your card is full, according to the tests I have read. It won't work with RAW, though. 9 frames seems to be about the maximum before the buffer is full. Make sure your shutter speed is not too slow, the shutter timing is added to the 1/3 sec. If it's 1/1000, I won't notice, but if you get 2 fps, you might.
11-28-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Video camera that shoot 3500 X 2500 pixel images in 16-bit color = RED (RED / Index), basic setup runs about $25-30,000, back-ordered for months. RED is 1/5th the price of it's competition, so you are talking six figures for something you can actually get.

K10d with AC adaptors, cards, extra batts etc. etc., $1000 - less than a one-day RED rental. Of course, this method is far more limited (no audio, limited takes) but I'm using it for a short art film (3 minutes long and this techniques only for about 60 seconds).
I thought there must be a reason, it just seemed a huge effort for a "movie".