Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Peter,
I think it is a tradeoff between Nikon and Pentax system, you loose SR, access to some niche lenses, compactness etc. but gain better flash system, more sophisticated AF. If that's what you need then go for it. I wouldn't worry much about the lenses, both systems have excellent glass, some top Nikkors are more expensive, though. Still you can get excellent glass for reasonable price, like AF85 1.8 you mentioned...

08-18-2011, 01:03 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Might be a good idea Peter to rent the Nikon camera and said lenses first and see how you like them and go from there
08-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #33
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Might be a good idea Peter to rent the Nikon camera and said lenses first and see how you like them and go from there
My wife had D90 at her work place so I have some idea of the layout and menus and ergos...

Anyway, since my PC dexided to crap out on me, I'll b sticking with K-7 for now...
08-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #34
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Hi Peter,
I think it is a tradeoff between Nikon and Pentax system, you loose SR, access to some niche lenses, compactness etc. but gain better flash system, more sophisticated AF. If that's what you need then go for it. I wouldn't worry much about the lenses, both systems have excellent glass, some top Nikkors are more expensive, though. Still you can get excellent glass for reasonable price, like AF85 1.8 you mentioned...
The SR would be an issue I assume, but AF would very good gain..
Niche lenses? I had FA31, 43, 77 and DA40 and sold all but 31, which I only keep because my wife likes it. So I guess the Pentax's niche lenses are not exactly what makes me stay with the system. Turns out I prefer traditional FOVs like 35 and 85mm equivalent on FF

08-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
The SR would be an issue I assume, but AF would very good gain..
It would only be a gain if you are currently missing many shots, in your current spheres of photographic interest, due to the K7's AF ... and if the 300s can actually solve that issue for you and it's not an area that any camera would have difficulty handling.
08-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #36
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
It would only be a gain if you are currently missing many shots, in your current spheres of photographic interest, due to the K7's AF ... and if the 300s can actually solve that issue for you and it's not an area that any camera would have difficulty handling.
I don't think I'm missing many (although I miss some) but then again my little one isn't all that mobile....yet
08-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #37
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think many people base high iso evaluation on jpegs and the K7 has a lousy jpeg engine at high iso, but in RAW there isn't that much difference.
I haven't shot JPEG since 2006 when I had my first DSLR...

And problem with K-7 (even with RAW) is that if you don't get the exposure to the right, even little bit of fill in light causes excessive noise anywhere above ISO400.

08-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #38
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
See Eruditass' post. Now we understand the issue (a 3 month old) then I think by far the easiest, quickest and probably best way to improve the shots of your baby is to start bouncing a manual flash (e.g. Yongnuo YN560) off the ceilings/walls and maybe adding a Stofen diffuser or similar) - total cost ca. US$100 / £60. That's going to beat the pants off of the very small increase in ISO/DR from the 300D over the K7 for ambient light shooting. I'm certain you have a good flash already though ?

YONGNUO, photographic equipment, camera accessories, flash light, camera remote control, speedlite, photo equipment, LED photo light, flash trigger, camera wireless remote control, TTL cord

Great post in regards to helping Axl achieve the improvement he requires.

I think Axl has convinced himself he would be better off switching and is looking for some moral support I know the feeling, I have convinced myself a D700 would give me something APS-C can not
I do use bounced flash (have 3 guns so I do try here and there) and have sucseeded to some degree with that style but most of the time I prefer natural light + when I bounced the flash mounted on camera it's still too bright for the little one and he becomes bit "murky" for a while and keeps frowning a bit too...

And no, I haven't convinced myself I need Nikon. I was more looking into what people of line up K vs line up F. Regardless of which background I come from...
09-04-2011, 04:56 AM   #39

Hi Axi

The D300 is an excellent camera fitted with the 18-200 VR lens. Having said that, I've just got rid of mine for the K7 as the D300 was too bulky for me. The K7 has a much better feel and handles well. As the sales splurge said in the 60's 'Just hold a Pentax'

Cheers

Rondonc
09-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #40
Forum Member

WR

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Hi all,
and I'm not sure about WR...
Thanks
Axl, Pentax knew what they were doing when they said WR on the K-7 because it is 100% water resistant. I have shot a model in the pouring rain and also been splashed by Shamu (twice) My K-7 passed with flying colors I am not afraid of water anymore with this camera.

So yes, the only thing you can't do is shoot underwater, but anything else, you'll be fine!
09-06-2011, 06:09 AM   #41
Veteran Member

K-r is cheap and better than K-7 in terms of ISO
09-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by chattphotos Quote
Axl, Pentax knew what they were doing when they said WR on the K-7 because it is 100% water resistant. I have shot a model in the pouring rain and also been splashed by Shamu (twice) My K-7 passed with flying colors I am not afraid of water anymore with this camera.

So yes, the only thing you can't do is shoot underwater, but anything else, you'll be fine!
This is plain crap Who said else than you that is 100% weather resistant? Should not have been something more like waterproof?

In my opinion D300s is the better camera. If you can live with size (200g more). Both are WR. And d300s will keep value far better. Who's buying K-7 now and how much would pay for it?
09-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
This is plain crap Who said else than you that is 100% weather resistant? Should not have been something more like waterproof?

In my opinion D300s is the better camera. If you can live with size (200g more). Both are WR. And d300s will keep value far better. Who's buying K-7 now and how much would pay for it?
I think Ash is talking about the older D300 not the D300s - big price, and performance, difference.
09-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #44
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
Do you own a K-7?

I have tested the K-7 WR to the max, Pentax says they designed the camera to be weather/water/dust-resistant. I shot in the rain for an hour and then a few months later, I was splashed by Shamu, my camera and WR lenses still work perfectly! I checked the seals, no water permeation at all. So it's a personal testament to a good design!
09-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #45
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
K-r is cheap and better than K-7 in terms of ISO
If I remember correctly, the K-r has no AF illumination... a highly valued element for us semi-pro photographers.