Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2007, 03:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Using built in flash

Hi
I have experienced a wierd flash issue.
When trying to use the flash in a dark part of the house it sounds like the flash is shorting out. It lights up for a second or two. Is it suppose to do this to gain enough light to have something to focus on?

K10D with
18-250mm f3.5-6.3 ED

Any ideas?

Bill

11-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is that the flash firing to allow the autofocus to function? Sounds like it.
11-27-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah it is the flash firing to brighten the area to make a focus lock. Just for curiosity sake you may want to change focus to AF-C and find it does'nt fire as the focus assist lamp works only in AF-S.
11-28-2007, 03:19 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks
Had me worried as the flash sounded like it was going to blow or melt.

11-29-2007, 07:03 AM   #5
MUD

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Yeah it is the flash firing to brighten the area to make a focus lock. Just for curiosity sake you may want to change focus to AF-C and find it does'nt fire as the focus assist lamp works only in AF-S.
I was under the impression that the K10d did not have a focus assist lamp? So, If I am to understand this correctly now, there is a focus assist lamp, that it is in fact a function of the flash itself? Coming from Nikon, the focus assist lamp is independent of the flash, on the camera body. It will fire up whether you are using flash or not, if there is not enough available light for focusing.

Just curious......

Thanks -

Jonathan
11-29-2007, 08:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MUD Quote
(snip) So, If I am to understand this correctly now, there is a focus assist lamp, that it is in fact a function of the flash itself?

Yes, in the AF.S mode, the internal flash in the upright position will fire to provide focus assist for the K10D, Jonathan. Refer to page 131 in the owners manual. This method reduces the need for an additional focus assist lamp, cutting manufacturing costs. Most external flash units provide focus assist as well. However, instead of using flash output to illuminate the subject (as the internal flash does), these units often include a larger, more powerful, focus assist lamp than could easily be squeezed into the typical small camera. Several current Nikon, Canon, and other brand cameras operate roughly the same way, and this trend may spread in the future to other camera models as well.

stewart
11-29-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MUD Quote
I was under the impression that the K10d did not have a focus assist lamp? So, If I am to understand this correctly now, there is a focus assist lamp, that it is in fact a function of the flash itself? Coming from Nikon, the focus assist lamp is independent of the flash, on the camera body. It will fire up whether you are using flash or not, if there is not enough available light for focusing.
Right. A lot of point & shoot cameras have the independent focus assist lamp too. The Pentax strobe-flash approach works, except it's really distracting and inevitably gets comments.
11-29-2007, 09:31 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I've found that if you're shooting people, you have to make it clear to them not to move, because inevitably someone thinks the focus assist "flash" is the actual flash for the photo and gets up or looks away or something, not anticipating the next flash which is the real photo flash.

I think with the external Pentax Flash (AF540FGZ) it uses a secondary focus assist, I recall a red light on a few shots I took. Haven't used the external flash much so sorry I can't be of more assistance yet.

11-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #9
Pentaxian

It's something that is hopefully "fixed" in the new models. The Nikon method is far superior from my own experience.
11-29-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Right. A lot of point & shoot cameras have the independent focus assist lamp too. The Pentax strobe-flash approach works, except it's really distracting and inevitably gets comments.
Plus, unless I'm missing something, (a) you have to raise the flash to get the help with focus, something I don't have to do on my Nikon film camera; and (b) if you don't actually want to use the flash but were simply trying to focus, then you have to close the flash again, otherwise it fires. I find it fairly useless. But I find the built-in flash fairly useless in every way.

Will