Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Ring Flash for Macro and Portrait?

Hallo,

I am a year experienced K10D user, learned bid of exporsure, aparture, DOF and some other basics. And just starting to play with lighting. (well, it's the most important factor, right?)

For the first time, I did portrait with a model our door. And found it's so difficult to get good shots, having proper/even/flat lighting throughtout face. I used flash light and many different sun light on his face, but result was not good. Those photo are good snap shots, but as portrait photo, they are not good at all.

Then, he told me that pros uses "flash ring". I went many shop site but could not find much, only thing that I think it's it! is below. It is sold sa macro ring flash, is this something I can use for portrait? Is this a good stuff among other product? I found Canon, Nikon, Olympus product, but they do not work on Pentax (I assume). Or am I looking totally wrong product? I also plan to use this for macro.

Somebody please advise me?

zenzentoto

Digi-Slave

Description
The Digi-Slave L-Ring 3200 is a powerful, versatile LED ring light that has beenspecially designed for macro photography and is compatible with any digital camera.

A larger inner diameter makes the L-Ring 3200 perfect no matter the lens size of your digital camera.

Equipped with 32 oversized, super-bright white LEDs, it features a variable power dial and half light settings to quickly and easily optimize the light output. It can be used as a continuous light source, and can also be triggered from a standard PC or hot-shoe sync.

A function switch allows half of the LEDs to be switched off to aid in resolvingsurface details. This compact, lightweight ring light is perfect for any kind ofclose-up photography dental, catalog, jewelry, etc. Takes 4AA batteries or optional power adapter.

11-27-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
the ring flash that you are looking at is for macro. For portraits check out alien bees. Just do a search for alien bees flash
11-27-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brianeady Quote
the ring flash that you are looking at is for macro. For portraits check out alien bees. Just do a search for alien bees flash
Unfortunately, the pentax ring flashes are all TTL, unless I have missed a new one somewhere.
11-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
Unfortunately, the pentax ring flashes are all TTL, unless I have missed a new one somewhere.
Which is why I'm hanging on to my *istD which has full TTL support

11-27-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zenzenyoyo Quote
Then, he told me that pros uses "flash ring".
Nah, ring flash is not good for portraits. Ring flash is for macros and your dentist

You need off camera flashes (e.g. wireless), diffusers and reflectors. You can get a lot of lighting ideas from here:

Strobist

They usually recommend manual flash. I personally hate manual flash. So I adapt their techniques for use with my P-TTL wireless flash setup.
11-27-2007, 10:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Which is why I'm hanging on to my *istD which has full TTL support
Bingo: It's been my rationale for keeping the *istD as well. However one of my daughters has batted her big blue eyes at me and asked for it, and I know she will use it more than I will so it should go, but it doesn't solve the problem of needing a ring light.

I continue to be mind boggled that Pentax would abandon TTL support to force people to buy new flash units, and then not provide the units to buy. Obviously they know HOW to put TTL
flash support in their digital cameras because they did.

I can live with the occasional dropping of backwards compatibility. I lived through the change from the screw mount to the K mount, but it is unique to have your old accessories become worthless, and for there to be no one willing to take my check to solve the problem.....

IF you are a pentax macro photographer, I guess you can go sit on it.
11-27-2007, 11:59 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah, it seems like this is what my friend was talking about. I went to sites where sells studio lights, but most of them are too heavy to carry around and I could not find "ring flash". Price does not seem to be too much out of my budget, I will get it for my Christmas gift. Thanks!

zenzenyoyo
11-28-2007, 12:06 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hallo

Thanks for your advise, yeah, I wanted to use wireless flash (I have Pentax 540 and 360) but I can not figure out how to make it happen. I mean, my K10D's built-in flash is non-working condition (I am supposed to send it to Pentax for rerair, but I can not afford a life without it more than 3 days, I still did not take care the repair, yet.) so the wireless function does not work at this moment....

I have quickly look at the site you mentioned, it looks like there are lots of interesting information as for lighting.

Someone told me that photography is all about how to capture "lighting". Using lighting equipment definately makes photography more interesting. And I am just starting it. There are much much more for me to discover fun in photography.

Thanks for everyone for your advise!

zenzenyoyo