Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2011, 07:15 AM   #1

Metering problem - K10D

I think my camera has had an issue with the meter since I bought it 2 years ago. However, now it is a BIG problem...cannot shoot in high contrast situations or use the built-in flash. Does not matter which lens I use. I have upgraded to newest software, any ideas, or just send my baby off to CRIS?

08-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could you post some sample photos with the EXIF intact? I'd recommend posting to the photo gallery, but you can also attach your photos, but in that case make sure they're at most 1000x700px, otherwise the EXIF will be stripped.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Any time I've had metering problems it was because I had accidentally flicked the metering switch over to spot metering.
08-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #4

Original Poster
How do I upload/post photos to the gallery?

08-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
I shot a few yesterday - all using program mode - and got mixed results ... when using the built-in flash results in unusable images.
09-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
How do I upload the photo(s) so someone can check the exif data, and maybe give me an answer to my metering problem? I've asked this a month ago, and will try again. Thanks
09-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #7

When you post a reply, just below this box that I'm typing into there is an Additional Options section. Scroll down and you will see a Manage Attachments box that you should click. The arrow pointer doesnt change to a hand which might confuse you but clicking on this box takes you to the options for adding your photos.

09-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #8

You haven't said if it overexposes, underexposes, or is inconsistent etc?

What does a histogram look like if you photograph a blank wall or sky? Where is the peak of the histogram? I know this is the opposite of high contrast, but it's the starting point for seeing if you are getting over or under exposure. The histogram peak should be just to the left of center by the way although I'm sure there are those who will want to argue about its exact position. If the histogram peak is to the right of center then even a flat image is overexposing, though you might not notice. A contrasty subject with the same settings would undoubtedly show blown highlights.
09-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #9

My instructions weren't for the Gallery by the way but to get the pictures right in this thread.
edit them first to keep them small enough (with editor that doesnt remove EXIF) to no more than 1000 pixels wide as already said