Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #1

Which DSLR?

I'm looking at buying my 1st dslr. Many years ago I had a K1000 and would like to get back into photograghy again as a hobby. I like taking outdoor pics. I'm not sure which body to get. I thought about getting a used kx to get started with but the k20 and k7 can be found at a pretty decent price used also. What would you recommend?

Thanks, Brian

08-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If weather-sealing is important to you, I'd go for a used K-7. For about $100 less, you could also get a new K-r, which handles noise better and is very friendly to beginners, but doesn't have as many dedicated buttons and has a slightly worse build quality.

You can compare the specs on the 3 bodies here:
Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-r vs. Pentax K-7 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
. . . . . and has a slightly worse build quality.
He doesn't mean it like it sounds. K-r doesn't have any wheatersealing and that means that with a drizzle the camera as with many brands has to go in your camerabag. With K20D, K-7 and K-5 and a wheatersealed lens you can stay shooting in the rain.
08-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My recommendation: K-5, K-7, K-r, K-x, in this order according to budget limitations. The K-number cameras are the high end line and they are fully featured - you are going to enjoy their build and they'll last you years. The K-letter cameras are entry level - they are competent and have their place, but you are going to miss many useful features and their build is indeed slightly worse - it's plastic vs magnesium alloy.

Of course, some will feel it necessary to point out that the sensors of the above K-letter cameras are better at high ISO than the K-7 sensor and thus the K-7 may not deserve the 2nd place I gave it. That is true, but I think it is a much less relevant point that is dwarfed by the extra features and controls that you get from the K-7.

Enjoy whatever you decide to go for - all these cameras are capable of taking great pictures in the end.

08-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for the info.