Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Default FL setting on k7

Does anyone know how to set the default FL on the k7 in User mode? I often mount a 400mm A series lens to my camera and forget to set the FL to 400mm. As a result, i am often set to the factory default of 35mm.

THanks
Nick

08-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
Does anyone know how to set the default FL on the k7 in User mode? I often mount a 400mm A series lens to my camera and forget to set the FL to 400mm. As a result, i am often set to the factory default of 35mm.

THanks
Nick
My cameras have always remembered the last number I used. I don't know how to change the number it will pick automatically if you simply forget to answer the FL question when you turn the camera on.
08-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The focal length is not a remembered setting in the user mode. When you mount a lens that doesn't communicate, then the camera asks for focal length input on start up.
08-22-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I think it will default (remember) the last selected FL when a manual lens is mounted. For example, if you mounted a 24mm MF lens and selected as such, when you switch to a 55mm lens, it will ask for the FL again, but starting at 24mm. At least that is how my K-7 behaves like that. My mistake is that I often forget to change the FL the second time.

08-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Annoying and bad design.

I just spent a week struggling with the user mode... I mounted my 400mm A series lens, set the FL to 400mm and took some bird shots. I then moved to a new position (took a few minutes), and started to shoot. The FL went back to 35mm becuase the camera went to idle mode. Since I did not notice this until I got back home, i have a bunch of blurry birds.

This does not happen in AV, TV or other modes (it keeps the new settings). Why cant the user mode keep this setting? Seems like an easy firmware fix.

Nick