Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #1

split circle focus screen adaptation from ME super/film camera to K7

Hi folks!

Has anyone done that before? Yes, I'm fully aware of places like katzeye and focusingscreen, but I'd rather know if the adaptation can be done before I start ordering away..
The thing is that I have my first camera - the old and trusty ME super in the shelf just gathering dust due to its broken shutter. And they say that the repair is totally unfeasible.
But the thing is that I just love the camera. It sounds good, feels good and has a great viewfinder.
And now, in the digital era it would be oh ever so much awseome if I could have a piece of my first camera with me in the cool-shiny-and-digital K7. And after that - in the K5 too. And hopefully in the next one after K5, too.

And - the added bonus - if I can geti it cheaper than katzeye ($205 with optibrite and architectural composition frame) - would be that I can get some new.. ahem, old lenses and other equipment instead

So I'd be hugely thankful for any hints in the direction.

Cheers!
-Arche

Last edited by arche; 08-22-2011 at 02:31 AM. Reason: typos, dang it.
08-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The focusing screen in the ME is a lot bigger than in digital bodies, so I think it's a no-go.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I've heard of people cutting down K1000 and other film body screens, I don't see why you couldn't cut down the ME screen. The thickness is most likely different, so you'll probably have to shim it to get it accurate.

Here is someone cutting one:
08-22-2011, 12:36 AM   #4

Original Poster
Yup, I know I'd have to cut it.
Are they made of plastic or glass? In the video he's cutting with an ordinary carpet knife so I assume that it's plastic. (thanks for the vid, btw, that's encouraging to see someone do it with such rough tools..)
I sent a request for a price quote to local laser cutting company, I bet they'll do the job nice and quick and also engrave some composition lines on the screen.
And does anybody have some exact measurements for the cutting job? Both the screens of ME super and K7?

Cheers,
-Arche

08-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt this would be better than the cheaper knockoffs of the Katzeye and there are pretty mixed reviews for some of them.
08-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do you a favor and order a Canon ee-S screen instead... It's a cheap plain FF screen, but it does wonders for manual focus, as it's the only screen I know of capable to accurately render f/1.4 DoF... Other screens are optimized for zoom lenses, and thus do not show you an accurate DoF for anything wider than f/2 (do the check : use the DoF preview at f/2 with a f/1.4 lens, nothing change in the viewfinder)...

And it's also entirely linear in regards to stop-down metering (meaning that stopping down the lens by one stop will result in a one-stop darker metering, which is not the case with standard screens...