Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So where's my commission?

Got a friend who is entering the world of the dslr to purchase a K-r today. ;-)

Feels strange to induct a new member into our small world. Anyone else had a similar experience?

08-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Your commission? The Czech is in the male. (Maybe you've heard that one.)

No, i haven't converted anyone to Pentax yet, but I don't really try. Congrats!
08-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I wasn't even pushing Pentax that hard -- I just knew more about it than the competition, and explained why I picked the brand for myself a year and a half ago. I was even upfront about its drawbacks.
08-23-2011, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
So where's my commission?
When one turns another's head from pursuit of the devil one does not look for a reward.
The reward is in knowing you have set another upon the righteous pathway.
Oh, and maybe you can borrow a lens or two from them in the near future.

08-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Forum member Joepenn initiated me into the Pentaxian lifestyle several months ago. He created a monster!!! I am always committed to a specific brand once I find a good one.
08-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I already have several friends (5 friends, to be exact) decided to buy dSLR because they see the photos I took.
I only have one of them buy Pentax, a K-x simply because there is a good deal (like $500 something for K-x and 18-55 + 50-300 combo) which I send to her and she bought it immediately - she have no time to do comparison of product (a doctor). I feel bad actually because she apparently have no time to learn to use a dSLR... she probably more suitable for a high end P&S.

remaining 4.... I explained to them and they all end up buying Canon. I need to get commission from Canon.

Lee
08-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
remaining 4.... I explained to them and they all end up buying Canon. I need to get commission from Canon.

Lee
What's wrong with your pictures?

08-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

Heh, I love it when people think a photographer takes great photos, it's only because of the camera they use.

Give a random, non-photographer type a K5 and a Bigma, and let's see if they take award-winning wildlife shots.

Think all the pros should switch to cellphone cameras.... at least it would drive down the prices of DSLRs and accessories!

B

Last edited by SirBismuth; 08-24-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Lens
08-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

LOL.
I told them if they want better/faster AF, Canon and Nikon is better than Pentax (as most ppl said). If they want video, Canon gives better control.
They usually say, I see most people use Nikon and Canon dSLR.... so I usually said ya, if you want to go with the crowd is fine, get any dSLR and learn to use them.

I guess people are more comfortable with a brand that many people use.

that or my pictures sucks. LOL
08-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
LOL.

I guess people are more comfortable with a brand that many people use.
agree with this.

give a newbie an entry level canon and nikon, they'll take ugly pictures and blame themselves - cos the pros use the same brand.

give a newbie a flagship model pentax, they'll take ugly pictures and blame the camera - cos its an "unknown" brand.

if nobody told them what an M9 is capable of and what it costs, they'll come to the conclusion that its a terrible product - no AF, not used to focusing with a rangefinder, no "auto" mode - plus the fact that they've never heard of leica
08-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by detritus Quote
agree with this.

give a newbie an entry level canon and nikon, they'll take ugly pictures and blame themselves - cos the pros use the same brand.

give a newbie a flagship model pentax, they'll take ugly pictures and blame the camera - cos its an "unknown" brand.

if nobody told them what an M9 is capable of and what it costs, they'll come to the conclusion that its a terrible product - no AF, not used to focusing with a rangefinder, no "auto" mode - plus the fact that they've never heard of leica
haha, i think with the leica price tag, they'll think that only the most hardcore extreme pros uses leica.
08-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
haha, i think with the leica price tag, they'll think that only the most hardcore extreme pros uses leica.
but thats only AFTER you tell them the price tag... in any case, you are right - its priced at a level to exclude the mass market.

i only recommend the K5 to pple who are already familiar with the fundamentals of photography and are looking for a DSLR that offers good bang for the buck or looking to switch systems because are not heavily invested in another system.

they are more likely to recognise the value of a good DSLR like the KR / K5.