Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 02:39 AM   #1

K7 depth of field settings

Now I remember how stupid it feels to be a total n00b.

Well, I upgraded from K20 to K7 and what a great step it was.
But now recently I found myself in desperate need of DOF-preview and it takes a preview picture. On K20 it was pssible to have it step down the lens to selected aperture and view it directly through the viewfinder. And I'm absolutely certain that the option is there in the K7, too.
The question is - where?!?
I've searched through the menu and managed not to find it. Damnit. Need help.

08-22-2011, 02:55 AM   #2

Original Poster
Oh. Hell. Found it. On the 1.3 menu (live view stuff) you have to go to digital preview and switch it off. I previously unchecked the histogram and dark/light area options under the ddof menu hoping it would do it, but in reality you just have to klick ok button on the "on" selection and select off(optical preview). At least I found it myself
So the thread can be locked.
And if anyone finds themselves in the same trouble ever again they can search this thread and not make a fool out of themselves on my account

Cheers.
08-22-2011, 03:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could pull the on-off lever to the "DOF" preview position and stop down the lens that way?.
08-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the DOF preview is on the same lever that allow the "OFF" "ON". In fact it's just after the "ON", see the small symbol that look like a circle with blade

08-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
Yup, that's the old news
The same on-off lever function was there on k20D, too. And that's what I was looking for. (As a matter of fact on k20 the same lever was configurable to start the live view and something else, too..)
The latest news is, that you can set the K7 camera to take a DOF-test picture when pulling the on-off lever to the DOF-area. On my specimen this
was turned on and I wanted to get rid of that (IMHO it sucks) and this was kind of tricky.
But thanks anyway for trying to be patient

Cheers.
08-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
Forum Member

For the life of me, about 50% of the time using the DOF setting with the On-Off switch, I end up turning the K-7 off. I am a dope that way.
08-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Be aware that the stock focus screen does not depict an accurate DoF at extreme apertures...
For instance, it cannot accurately render a f/1.4 DoF, and is limited to around f/2...

Just try it: do a DoF preview at f/2 with a f/1.4 lens, you'll see no differences at all in the viewfinder.
Moreover, at f/1.4, what you see in the viewfinder is wholly different from what you got in the final image...

08-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Be aware that the stock focus screen does not depict an accurate DoF at extreme apertures...
For instance, it cannot accurately render a f/1.4 DoF, and is limited to around f/2...

Just try it: do a DoF preview at f/2 with a f/1.4 lens, you'll see no differences at all in the viewfinder.
Moreover, at f/1.4, what you see in the viewfinder is wholly different from what you got in the final image...
Does that include errors in what appears sharp in the viewfinder? I find that at wide apertures, what I perceive as in focus is actually not in certain situations.
08-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's exactly it. When shooting at f/1.4, the viewfinder will show much more in focus than actually is. You just have to learn to anticipiate that effect and compensate, figuring out throu practice what part of what appears to be in focus will actually turn out to be.
08-31-2011, 04:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Or you can get a Canon ee-S screen : it renders DoF accurately right down to f/1.4 (but you'll need to shim it correctly, as it needs 0.10mm less than the stock screen).