Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Focus Adjustment

Greetings all,
My apologies if his has been discussed before but I am not very good at doing the search routine!

My K5 has not impressed me as regards sharpness, so yesterday I downloaded Yvon Bourque's focus chart and using the FA77 set at 1.8 did some test shots and found that I was approaching middle field (centre point focus) at +10 adjustment. I then tested my other AF lenses - some Pentax, some Sigma and one Schneider and found them to all be pretty much the same as the FA77. I repeated the tests with my K20 and found that at 0 adjustment the AF was correct. This leads me to believe that the camera is at fault.
Questions:
1.Can I calibrate the camera myself in some way?
2. Sending the camera in under warrenty is not realy an option as I am in South Africa and I bought the camera at B & H in the US.
3. Can anyone give me the contact details of the authorized Pentax repair operation in South Africa?

Thanks in advance!

John K

08-22-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, have you tried upgrading your firmware.
Some people have reported similar problems disappear after upgrading.

Answer to 1. : no, you cannot. It requires special Pentax s/w not available to users.
Answer to 2. : did the camera come with an international warrenty?
Answer to 3. : PENTAX

Cheers, Bert
08-22-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Focus Adjustment

Hi Bert,

Thanks for the reply!

I believe I have all but the very latest firmware update and if I am correct that was just to fine tune the GPS aspect. I will however try that just to be sure.

Pentax have outsourced camera maintenance in South Africa and I have identified theam as a company by name of Camera Tek. They also do Canon, Fuji, Samsung et al. Their closest branch is about 350 km from me so not too far - a trip I make quite often.

I presume my warrenty is the standard US one but will look tonight to make sure.

regards,

John K