Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Ok I was almost in the same boat, Only because while I was securing my K7 my wife sent me an email that she was going to look at a A55 for the same price. (She didnt know about the K7).
My experience with Sony has been love/hate I think they make phenomenal hard ware and alot of their stuff has been ahead of its time. I was always an early adopter for a long time. So I ended up with MiniDisc, Memory Sticks, UMD's to name a few. The latest for me has been the Sony Reader I have had three of them and they do exactly what they are supposed to and are IMHO the best hardware on the market, But yet anytime someone asked what I am reading on and I say an ereader I get Oh a kindle I have heard of them. So in a nutshell Sony I believe tries to do to many things and drops the support network way to early, I wish I could find an article on it but it basically said that if the Product didnt meet a certain Profit margin Sony basically abandons it. Instead of adjusting the support to meet the change in a given market. What does this have to do with cameras you might ask just food for thought on the long haul perspective.

Oh and btw I seem to have the misfortune of picking the wrong side when it comes to prevailing technology Divx, HD-DVD, the aforementioned mini disc and UMD's and now I am on the Pentax bandwagon so look out.

JJ

10-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #77
Inactive Account

We shot Pentax for over 20 years and shot over 200,000 photos with K20Ds in our wedding photography business. Switched to Sony A55s last year and shot another 200,000 photos with no issues. Just got our 1st A77 2 weeks ago... a little bigger than the K20D was but about the same weight. Absolutely stunning photos right out of the camera! Shot 2 weddings with uniquely bad lighting and have 3500 beautiful, sharp, well lit photos to show for it. Of course we use Minolta lenses exclusively. None of the issues with the A77 have happened to us yet and we've shot about 5,000 photos. Just ordered our 2nd one and we're trying the new Sony 16-50MM 2.8 and putting it head to head against our awesome Minolta 17-35 2.8-4. The technology on these things is incredible. With Sony's new lineup of A35, A65, and A77 they'll probably take 1st place in all 3 categories. Sony is also planning on pushing these 3 hard for video enthusiasts
10-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
My experience with Sony has been love/hate I think they make phenomenal hard ware and alot of their stuff has been ahead of its time. I was always an early adopter for a long time. So I ended up with MiniDisc, Memory Sticks, UMD's to name a few. The latest for me has been the Sony Reader I have had three of them and they do exactly what they are supposed to and are IMHO the best hardware on the market, But yet anytime someone asked what I am reading on and I say an ereader I get Oh a kindle I have heard of them. So in a nutshell Sony I believe tries to do to many things and drops the support network way to early, I wish I could find an article on it but it basically said that if the Product didnt meet a certain Profit margin Sony basically abandons it. Instead of adjusting the support to meet the change in a given market. What does this have to do with cameras you might ask just food for thought on the long haul perspective.

Oh and btw I seem to have the misfortune of picking the wrong side when it comes to prevailing technology Divx, HD-DVD, the aforementioned mini disc and UMD's and now I am on the Pentax bandwagon so look out.

JJ
Luckily you were not old enough to go for a Sony Betamax back in the late 70's. What a train-wreck that was.
You could have been screaming "Dammit I paid 1000 bucks for A CLOCK !!!" along with millions of others.
10-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #79
Inactive Account

I had a non Sony Beta HiFi and wished they stayed with that format. The sound was much better and the size was nice.

On the other hand the A77 is awesome!

10-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #80
Pentaxian

I'm glad we have Sony making cameras like the A77, at least that's one manufacturer thinking outside the box.
10-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #81
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There never would have been a K-x, K-r or a K-5 without Sony.
10-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #82
Inactive Account

JHD,

We shot with all 3 of those cameras and they were great! I think that is what lead us to Sony cameras. We sold all these models to some of our photographers so we still get to edit the results. They are excellent cameras and produce better photos than the Canons and Nikons we get photos from. The Pentax photos are much closer to true color.
10-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #83
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I'm glad we have Sony making cameras like the A77, at least that's one manufacturer thinking outside the box.
Wait 'til you try one... they are not only thinking outside the box, they are blazing a trail that the more advertised makers are going to be forced to follow!

10-11-2011, 01:33 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
Obviously, I did not make myself clear. I would be very happy with a camera that was more 'retro' and not so 'cutting edge'. Indeed, I have long wished for a small full frame that achieved its size by **leaving out** much of the 'latest technology.' (I certainly don't need video, and I think that SR is greatly overrated. Indeed, I could even live with a manual focus only ff camera.) But if you're going to play the technology game, then you should play it well. Pentax has not done this.

Pentax's autofocus system (not to mention its video) is way behind its competition. And its image processing technology--the purported advance of the K-5--is already starting to look 'old hat'.

I have thought long and hard about going with the Leica M9. However, I do not like rangefinders for the simple reason that they are difficult to focus with longer lenses. (Longer, in range-finder talk, meaning 90-135mm). I live with my K-7 (and numerous film cameras). And I hope that the successor to the K-5 will at least overcome its rather serious low-light focusing and QC issues. I wish you well with your K-5 purchase.

The answer is already here. A Canon 5D or 5DII will work as you want. FF and MF with your Pentax lenses. Some work cutting or removing the aperture lever on some of the lenses, but many have gone this route.
However, I think for MF lenses, the newer generation MILC are the future, focusing aids like 'peaking' mode, zoom in and window in window zoom make them far more accurate than the OVF.

I have a m4/3 G3 and GF1. They are a joy to use and even more portable than the smallest of high end DSLRs (the K5). However, I always get better detail captured, colors, DR on the K5 as well as the ability to get more out from PP than the m4/3 o/p.

I've also shot in two similar events against the likes of D7K, D700, A700, D90 and the K5 has always had as good if not better photos (more resolution against D700; more in focus shots; negligible difference in ISO noise).
In fact a colleague came over and gave me the thumbs up for the K5 shots (it was a coverage of a company dinner where other colleagues shot the above cameras)

Cameras at this point of time are generally all good for 90% of the things we do, with a few nik-picks here and there.
The photographer (me) makes the most difference. I see no big reason to jump to anything since there is nothing I can't live with on the current system.
I don't shoot for a living, my shots are not worth a ~$2.6K 70-200/2.8 from Sony (or Nikon).
A FA*80-200/2.8 at ~$1.6 works just as well (if not better)

Not saying the Pentax is the best nor is the K5.
But lets not beat ourselves up too much over many perceived 'betters' on other systems.
But more most purposes, Pentax and K5 is very adequate.