Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the CZ lenses were sealed from dust I would go Sony in a heartbeat. That is the only reason I would ever consider a switch. This whole MP race is worthless, I never need over 16MP in APS-C, or a 24 in FF. The only reason I would consider FF is to have more crop options. Lenses become limiting for either option.

Until then I stay with Pentax because I am invested into glass, I would lose a lot of money in a switch. Pentax is moving in a positive direction, I think having survived the tough transition to digital they are headed right with the K5. Now if they would spend time bringing out a K5 replacement in a year with new DA* glass.

09-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
He seems to be disagreeing with your assessment of movie time.
From reading that review, it seems pretty obvious he diddn't actually spend any real time using the camera. The comment you quoted sounds like it came right from the product sheet. He also says that Sony doesn't mention if you can preset apertures when shooting video. If he gave it any real testing, he wouldn't need to rely on Sony telling him.
09-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
From reading that review, it seems pretty obvious he diddn't actually spend any real time using the camera. The comment you quoted sounds like it came right from the product sheet. He also says that Sony doesn't mention if you can preset apertures when shooting video. If he gave it any real testing, he wouldn't need to rely on Sony telling him.
This part is very hard to tell. I know DK for long time (at least being reading what he writes for long time), and i have an impression that he does use sony cameras very much. In this case, it is indeed difficult to know whether it was from spec sheet or was it his own experience.
09-07-2011, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been using Pentax cameras continuously for more than twenty-five years, and I am heavily invested in Pentax glass--new and old. (In addition to my many Pentax lenses , I own four Zeiss ZK and three Voigtlanders.) Hence I have a vested interest in the success of Pentax and the K mount. It would be a very expensive proposition for me to 'jump ship.' Still.... if Pentax continues in the direction it is currently going, this might make sense for me.

I have stayed with Pentax because I believed that they would (eventually) produce a full-frame camera that would be in line with their traditional design philosophy. This would mean a small, tough camera with lots lots of high quality primes.

To some extent, Pentax has done this. They have made very rugged cameras with the K-7 and K-5, and their primes are (generally speaking) quite good. However, the K-5 (I sent mine back after a couple weeks) has actually done little to advance the cause. It is, let's be frank, just another consumer APS-C offering--and one with more than its share of problems. There is no sign of a FF on the horizon; and in terms of 'cutting edge' technolgy, Pentax simply has not kept up with the competition.

So now what? Sony has produced in the NEX-5N a camera that is, in most respects, a K-5 at half the cost (and which is smaller and which will take different brands of lenses). It also has focus technology (auto and manual) that is far ahead of Pentax's. The NEX-7 ups the ante even more.

If I were to purchase a new camera tomorrow, I doubt it would be a K-5 (or any Pentax). And iIf I am going to be stuck with APS-C, Sony now appears to be the better choice. I'll still hang on to my K mount lenses. However, my own postion regarding Pentax-Richoh has become one of 'wait and see'.

Last edited by Byrd-2020; 09-07-2011 at 04:19 PM.
09-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
I have been using Pentax cameras continuously for more than twenty-five years,........
and in terms of 'cutting edge' technolgy, Pentax simply has not kept up with the competition.
Quite honestly, 25 years ago they were rather far behind the technology curve. If it didn't matter to you then, why is it so important to you now?
09-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using Pentax cameras continuously for more than twenty-five years, and I am heavily invested in Pentax glass--new and old. (In addition to my many Pentax lenses , I own four Zeiss ZK and three Voigtlanders.) Hence I have a vested interest in the success of Pentax and the K mount. It would be a very expensive proposition for me to 'jump ship.' Still.... if Pentax continues in the direction it is currently going, this might make sense for me.

I have stayed with Pentax because I believed that they would (eventually) produce a full-frame camera that would be in line with their traditional design philosophy. This would mean a small, tough camera with lots lots of high quality primes.

To some extent, Pentax has done this. They have made very rugged cameras with the K-7 and K-5, and their primes are (generally speaking) quite good. However, the K-5 (I sent mine back after a couple weeks) has actually done little to advance the cause. It is, let's be frank, just another consumer APS-C offering--and one with more than its share of problems. There is no sign of a FF on the horizon; and in terms of 'cutting edge' technolgy, Pentax simply has not kept up with the competition.

So now what? Sony has produced in the NEX-5N a camera that is, in most respects, a K-5 at half the cost (and which is smaller and which will take different brands of lenses). It also has focus technology (auto and manual) that is far ahead of Pentax's. The NEX-7 ups the ante even more.

If I were to purchase a new camera tomorrow, I doubt it would be a K-5 (or any Pentax). And iIf I am going to be stuck with APS-C, Sony now appears to be the better choice. I'll still hang on to my K mount lenses. However, my own postion regarding Pentax-Richoh has become one of 'wait and see'.
I'm a bit confused. By your post, it sounds like your priorities are:
FF
Small and tough
Primes
"Cutting edge"

By the looks of it, the only camera that may fit your criteria is the Leica M9. You could just sell your Pentax gear and get a M9.

Lacking that, no one else makes a camera with all of those qualities. Your decision will by necessity be a compromise.

Glad to see that you've been a loyal Pentaxian. Sorry to see that you had a bad time with the K-5. I just got mine, and it sits alongside my more "cutting edge" Panasonic GH2. The K-5 feels fully cutting edge and "with it".
09-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'm a bit confused. By your post, it sounds like your priorities are:
FF
Small and tough
Primes
"Cutting edge"

By the looks of it, the only camera that may fit your criteria is the Leica M9. You could just sell your Pentax gear and get a M9.

Lacking that, no one else makes a camera with all of those qualities. Your decision will by necessity be a compromise.

Glad to see that you've been a loyal Pentaxian. Sorry to see that you had a bad time with the K-5. I just got mine, and it sits alongside my more "cutting edge" Panasonic GH2. The K-5 feels fully cutting edge and "with it".
Obviously, I did not make myself clear. I would be very happy with a camera that was more 'retro' and not so 'cutting edge'. Indeed, I have long wished for a small full frame that achieved its size by **leaving out** much of the 'latest technology.' (I certainly don't need video, and I think that SR is greatly overrated. Indeed, I could even live with a manual focus only ff camera.) But if you're going to play the technology game, then you should play it well. Pentax has not done this.

Pentax's autofocus system (not to mention its video) is way behind its competition. And its image processing technology--the purported advance of the K-5--is already starting to look 'old hat'.

I have thought long and hard about going with the Leica M9. However, I do not like rangefinders for the simple reason that they are difficult to focus with longer lenses. (Longer, in range-finder talk, meaning 90-135mm). I live with my K-7 (and numerous film cameras). And I hope that the successor to the K-5 will at least overcome its rather serious low-light focusing and QC issues. I wish you well with your K-5 purchase.

Last edited by Byrd-2020; 09-09-2011 at 05:20 AM.
09-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #68

Well,as i stated previously,my wife has a Sony SLT-33 and i am NOT impressed.I am not a professional,so i am not being critical of Sony solely on the basis that it isn't suited for professional work.I feel like some previous posts have hit the nail on the head which stated "Sony has a history of putting unfinished products on the market" I have observed this camera to overheat in 90 deg temps after 15 minutes,the body feels cheap,the battery life ain't so great and the kit lens is even more cheaply built than my Canon 18-55 mm kit lens was ( and anyone that has messed with a Canon kit lens knows what i am talking about). I am in APS-C land as i couldn't afford a FF from Canikon i am more than content to wait to see if Pentax eventually gives us a full frame offering as they are my only possible option as i would think it would be more affordable .If Pentax doesn't cough up a ff camera then so be it. I am still happy with their latest APS-C cameras .
09-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #69
Inactive Account

Pentax!!! I love my Pentax k-r!!!!
09-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #70

Got the same camera Bro!! In stormtrooper white to boot!! I swapped a Canon rebel XTI from 2006 for a 6 month old KR with less than 5000 clicks.I don't know what the guy was thinking but i came out good in the end ( no it wasn't hot !).
09-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #71
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by zorak Quote
Got the same camera Bro!! In stormtrooper white to boot!! I swapped a Canon rebel XTI from 2006 for a 6 month old KR with less than 5000 clicks.I don't know what the guy was thinking but i came out good in the end ( no it wasn't hot !).
Wow, what a great trade!!
09-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #72

Now in all fairness i did swap my canon with kit lens ,70-300 mm lens,an old sunpak flash plus the camera bag for a KR with standard kit lens and sling backpack. but still,my canon was 5 years old,in good shape but still i can't believe i lucked into this.
09-08-2011, 12:15 AM   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can't advise on making the choice between Sony or Pentax (clearly Pentax is the answer ) but what I have noticed lately in the UK secondhand market is that there is a lot of Sony available, far more than there was around a year ago (I believe). I don't know the reasons for this, but my first impression would be that people are not holding on to their Sony equipment.

On the positve side for someone switching to Sony - there is a good secondhand selection!
09-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have thought long and hard about going with the Leica M9. However, I do not like rangefinders for the simple reason that they are difficult to focus with longer lenses. (Longer, in range-finder talk, meaning 90-135mm).
From your requirements list, I thought M9 as well.
I don't see how FF could ever fit your "small" requirement. The smallest currently available now are the Sony 850 and Nikon D700 and both are bigger than the K20D :-P
The Nex7/5 are APS-C and for now I doubt they'll do a FF version of an EVIL camera.
09-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
From your requirements list, I thought M9 as well.
I don't see how FF could ever fit your "small" requirement. The smallest currently available now are the Sony 850 and Nikon D700 and both are bigger than the K20D :-P
The Nex7/5 are APS-C and for now I doubt they'll do a FF version of an EVIL camera.
'Small' is a relative term. It would obviously have to be larger than the current k-7/k-5 body.