Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Questions for people who have dealt with Pentax USA warranty service.

So My camera has had the double mirror flop issue as seen here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/144309-k-5-bug-shutter-g...ff-itself.html

The camera was away for around 2 months. A few days after it started showing signs of the issue again. The camera shop I bought the camera from handled the repair process of sending the camera to CRIS and such.

So I didn't want to burden the camera shop any longer and sent a message to Pentax USA through their website. They send a copy & paste response of how to deal with the warranty process and didn't even comment on the fact that the camera wasn't properly fixed the first time.

My question is for anyone who has dealt with multiple warranty service issues and what did you do to get the thing fixed? How many times does a camera need to be sent in before trying to just get a replacement? Do they even issue replacements for "lemon" cameras?

Any other warranty related experiences or who to contact in the USA to get a fully functional K-5 would be helpful.

I'm just worried at this point if I send it in again and it takes another two months of my warranty period (around 6 months left)...

08-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you used American Express to buy the camera, you may be eligible for automatic addition of an extra year of manufacturer warranty.

Lemon: My K-5 has been sent to CRIS for shutter problems;In the past it was replaced with a new one when it had the infamous sensor stain. Have not heard of anyone getting a whole new replacement for shutter related problems.
08-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the information. I don't know what their policies are at this point as the other Pentax DSLRs I've owned have not needed servicing before.

The funny thing is that the mirror flopping issue, when severe enough, is the worst possible problem with the camera to date (at one point mine was getting into a mode where any button on the camera would flip the mirror). It makes the camera completely inoperable unlike spots on the sensor would. I don't know if the camera will get to that point again, but I don't want to find out, so off it goes this week hopefully. So far a third of the time I've owned the body it has been gone. Now with this second attempt it will increase that percentage. If it's one thing Pentax could do to improve their standing in this market it would be fast accurate servicing of their cameras. I have never owned canon/nikon so I have no idea how they compare, but I assume it is similar.
08-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had a hint of hope that United Camera in Illinois could handle the repair, but they don't do the warranty repairs. All they would do is send the camera to Arizona.

I did get a decent second response from Pentax support where they offered to send me a UPS shipping label. So once that arrives, the camera will be sent back to Arizona...