Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My 0.2 cents...

Relative to the competition, technology, etc., both the K-5 and the K-r are at (or very near) a threshold of performance that should be satisfactory to a vast number of users until they explode from excessive shutter counts. (The cameras may explode - people don't normally explode, but some believe that we can spontaneously combust.) Of course, this statement bypasses the quality control issues that are frequently rehashed online here (and other places) ad nauseum. The incremental improvements on subsequent models will likely be modest in comparison to what was achieved with these models over previous models. People have already discussed the differences between 24mp and 16mp sensors. Given what may (or may not) improve by moving onto a 24mp sensor, I can't see that as being a determining factor for waiting to purchase either the K-5 or K-r.

However, there may be things about subsequent models that cannot be compared to the K-5 or K-r. For example, Ricoh may latch onto the technologies like translucent mirrors and/or electronic viewfinders. Personally, I like the old school technology of moving mirrors and optical viewfinders, so I was happy to purchase both a K-5 and a K-r before these features become a thing of the past.

P.S. I have found it impossible to determine what percentage of units from the total units sold that have had the quality control issues that some people have experienced. I suggest that if you do purchase a Pentax camera you should also purchase a Pentax two-year extended warranty. The current price for the warranty is $20 USD and makes the entire warranty period three years from the date of purchase. You can also send your camera in for one free cleaning and adjustment during the three year warranty period.