Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2011, 01:03 AM   #1

Will there be a K-R replacement soon?

Hey everyone, I have been considering getting a pentax k-r for my first DSLR but I am wondering if there will likely be a new model coming out soon that I should hold out for. I wish there was another model between kr and k5 because I would like WR body but can't really afford a K5.

08-23-2011, 02:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The K-7 might me more along the lines of what you're after. It makes a couple compromises that the K-r excels in, but it also has some features the K-r lacks.

I don't think anyone knows for sure what will happen to this year's models, what with the Ricoh buyout, but I think it's likely that new Pentax DSLR models will be delayed 6 months to a year by it. Hope I'm wrong though.
08-23-2011, 02:14 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
My guess is YES!

Maybe in september, but could also be that this new jewel is in the hands of our new owner, CEO of Ricoh to present it.

My guess is not to many new things, but the sensor from K-5 in it.
08-23-2011, 05:34 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please go ahead and buy a Kr. If you do, there surely will be a replacement model released exactly one month after you bought it. We'd all appreciate it if you did!

08-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #5

Well, I just did and I was wondering the same thing...
08-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
My guess is YES!

Maybe in september, but could also be that this new jewel is in the hands of our new owner, CEO of Ricoh to present it.

My guess is not to many new things, but the sensor from K-5 in it.
Ricoh does not assume ownership until October.

I say March for the K-r replacement.
08-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #7

Original Poster
Well I am hoping for September, that would be awesome! It is so hard holding out, there is always a reason to wait....wait for the new model to come out.....then wait for the price to come down...and by that time you might as well wait again for the the next model. Its a vicious circle. There seems to be a couple bugs with the K-r design (FF & E-dial) and that is the only reason I am looking for a replacement for that, besides not having weather proofing.

08-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree with Ron and Aristophanes - look for it in Spring 2012, not too many changes, and with the current K-5 sensor, or equiv. But I would like to see where Ricoh targets the K-r next in the line up. Current k-r mp slots it as competitor to T3 and D3100, but other k-r specs are a little better than what T3 and D3100 bring to the table, but probably not all the way to D5100/T3i. But k-r is the only thing for Pentax in the "entry" segment. Maybe it is in just exactly the right spot, but I still can't see any wisdom for Pentax standing pat with the current sensor, as good as it is. IMHO $0.02. Thanks. Glenn
08-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I say get the Kr now. Even if Pentax announces a new camera it won't be out for a while, the Kr price will barely drop (if at all) and the Kr is and still will be a good camera after a new model comes out. You cannot go wrong with getting one now.

**You can also consider getting one used or even a Kx used so that way you can "rent" a camera until the new model comes out (my guess is one will be out no sooner than Dec on this year, most likely later than that).
08-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by redogman67 Quote
Hey everyone, I have been considering getting a pentax k-r for my first DSLR but I am wondering if there will likely be a new model coming out soon that I should hold out for. I wish there was another model between kr and k5 because I would like WR body but can't really afford a K5.
I understand your hesitation as K-r is somewhere on a half of its production span life and you might likely wait for the next upgraded model. I (still) have the K-20 and the K-r. Before buying the K-r I also had the option to get the K-5, but I was not prepared to pay a double price for a K-5. In the end of a day I spent the same amount of money as I would for the K-5 body alone: I got K-r + the new DFA f2,8/100mm Macro WR, which is a very sexy lens indeed.

K-r is a serious camera, actually an improved and finetuned K-x, as you probably know. I don't see it quite as a entry level model (as it is usually classified), but as a semi-professional camera inwards with an amateurish outwards. Sure, K-5 beats it in better built quality, better control layout, more dense sensor, more professional features etc. But in my eyes this extra features are not worth the double price.

K-r is probably the ideal camera for a beginner or a first time dSLR user. A top dog model like K-5 feels better, especially in beginners hands, but the learning curve is steep. Not that you have a much easier life with a K-r, but this sort of camera is more playful and can offer a more loose approach. If you want you can seriously grow into photography with a K-r too. If you have the time and patience, if you really want. What I hate to see are mediocre shots taken with a top dog camera and confused beginners postings which show how they are completely lost. Just check K-5 discussions on this or other forums, you'll see what I mean.

This summer I've done some stage photography with K-r. Concert shooting is difficuld, the light is harsh and unpredictable. It demands a good AF engine and top notch ISO performance from the camera. I felt very comfortable with my K-r & DA70 Limited - although some fellow photogs with their bulky Canon & Nikon gear looked a bit disturbed at me.

A couple of pics say more than 1000 words: jazz in the city - a set on Flickr.
Feel free to add comments to the photos.

Cheers,
D
08-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #11

there is always a replacement model and depends what is soon for you
but always the best moment to buy something is when you need it
08-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice pics Dragra - bit no exif - What ISO are you shooting at?
08-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
nice pics Dragra - bit no exif - What ISO are you shooting at?
Thanks mattt. I try to set the ISO as low as possible, although K-r would give me a lot of leeway here.
Flickr does not care for EXIF. Which shot are you particulary interested? PM me I can provide full EXIF.
08-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flickr displays EXIF info in the "Actions" pull down, if of course is has not been stripped prior to uploading. I was not interested in any particular shot, rather referencing the image output at that level of light versus the ISO used. I'm very pleased with how this camera performs in low light - and your images are characteristic of what I've come to expect.
09-24-2011, 02:02 AM   #15
ak2

there is going to be a k-rII with the processor of k-5. From the Greek service center they said somewhere around January it will be released.Unfortunatelly there is not going to be a firmware update for the k-r we most have......