Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K10D weather sealing + M42 lenses?

Hey all,
Looking into getting either the K10D or K100D.
One of the primary things that draw me to the 10 is the weather sealing.

I've been using a Spotmatic F with a few Takumar SMC lenses, which I absolutely adore. However, I will be living abroad next year, and am looking to pick up a digital body so I don't burn through thousands of dollars worth of film/can send photos back to friends easier.
My aim is to keep shooting with my M42 glass, as I've found it to be stellar, and simply don't have the money to burn to pick up nice AF glass.

Now, I've been reading that the weather sealing doesn't do much good without one of the new sealed lenses. But I'm wondering if that's more due to all the fancy stuff in modern lenses.

If I stick an old Takumar on the front of the K10D, will I be safe from the elements?

11-29-2007, 05:43 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I cannot tell you for sure, but I very strongly doubt the camera would be fully rain safe with the M42 lenses. It has nothing to do with the electronics in the lens (or lack thereof) but rather in the fact that water can get in to the camera where the lens mates. This would be doubly true for M42 lenses which require a seperate adapter in order to mate the lens to the K-mount.

btw, I also use M42 lenses on my K10d and the results are wonderful!
11-29-2007, 05:48 AM   #3
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Bassism Quote
Hey all,
Looking into getting either the K10D or K100D.
One of the primary things that draw me to the 10 is the weather sealing.

I've been using a Spotmatic F with a few Takumar SMC lenses, which I absolutely adore. However, I will be living abroad next year, and am looking to pick up a digital body so I don't burn through thousands of dollars worth of film/can send photos back to friends easier.
My aim is to keep shooting with my M42 glass, as I've found it to be stellar, and simply don't have the money to burn to pick up nice AF glass.

Now, I've been reading that the weather sealing doesn't do much good without one of the new sealed lenses. But I'm wondering if that's more due to all the fancy stuff in modern lenses.

If I stick an old Takumar on the front of the K10D, will I be safe from the elements?
You will be safe... camera and lens I am not that sure:lol
11-29-2007, 05:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Its possible to seal m42 lenses by way of makeshift, but even if the camera survives you might do some damage to the metal lenses by way of corrosion with a bit of water seeping into the barrel.

11-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. Didn't think about water seeping through the mount.
I'm more worried about the body than the lens. I've had my Spotmatic out in as much pouring rain as I'm ever going to want to go outside in, without any apparent ill to my lenses, so it's not a big deal. Plus, I have some throwaway lenses that I wouldn't mind losing to a few good shots.

I think I'd still like to have the sealing in the 10 for the sake of peace of mind, even if I only ever take it out in a bit of a drizzle or a dusty day. I don't like the idea of cameras with plastic bodies and lots of electronics inside.
11-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bassism Quote
Thanks for the responses. Didn't think about water seeping through the mount.
I'm more worried about the body than the lens. I've had my Spotmatic out in as much pouring rain as I'm ever going to want to go outside in, without any apparent ill to my lenses, so it's not a big deal. Plus, I have some throwaway lenses that I wouldn't mind losing to a few good shots.

I think I'd still like to have the sealing in the 10 for the sake of peace of mind, even if I only ever take it out in a bit of a drizzle or a dusty day. I don't like the idea of cameras with plastic bodies and lots of electronics inside.
There is a recent article where a pro used the K10D for 90 minutes on the back of a tugboat and was pleasantly surprised. It never missed a beat. He only had the kit 18-55 on it, and he was in a Maine Sou'Easter - big wind and lots of rain.
11-29-2007, 10:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A cheap camera rain 'coat' might help .

11-30-2007, 12:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Sealing the lens against the mounting plate is actually pretty easy if you dont mind putting the lens in the line of fire. Look for some of those old steel drums, around the opening you will find a flat black rubber ring. Put that between the m42 and mounting plate and your good to go. You lose about 1/8th of a twist when putting the lens on. Finally seal the whole thing with plumbers tape?? (that white soft stuff they use to stop dripping). If i can find an old steel drum around here i'll post a pic of the set up.