Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What do you use the Av(+/-), AF/AE-L and Green button on K-x for ?

Av - I guess is used for adjusting aperture in manual mode with the dial. Not sure what +/- means ?
AF/AE-L - Autofocusses like half pressing shutter, but what does AE-L do and work ?
Green - I can configure from menu, but what do you guys configure it to ?

08-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
Av - I guess is used for adjusting aperture in manual mode with the dial. Not sure what +/- means ?
AF/AE-L - Autofocusses like half pressing shutter, but what does AE-L do and work ?
Green - I can configure from menu, but what do you guys configure it to ?
AF/AE-L is also configurable. I set mine to AE-L in all modes. This locks exposure when you press it, so it doesn't re-meter if you pan away. I use it in funny exposure scenarios, in sort-of a screwed up version of the zone system. In very contrasty scenes I pick a shadowed spot, and lock exposure there, then recompose. It takes a little screwing around to figure out which shadow to use, though.

I have green set to "optical preview", because I use a couple of old K, M and M42 lenses. This stops the lens down and lets you take an accurate meter / focus of the shot you will actually get. When using the old lenses (aperture ring lenses without a chip) in manual mode, the AV+/- button (up on the top of the camera) becomes like an automode setting. It stops down, meters, and sets the shutter as though you were in aperture priority mode. I do this to get close to correct exposure then chimp and fiddle from there.

In manual mode with electronically controlled apertures (newer lenses), AV+/- lets you switch between changing aperture and shutter speed. In Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority mode, it switches between changing the dominant setting (aperture or shutter) and changing the exposure bias. That EV+ or - value. Basically, lets you over or underexpose an image a little. I tend to shoot mine a little over in camera, then bring them back down in post. Google 'expose to the right' for a better explanation of why this is a good thing in many cases.

Also... GO RTFM! All of this is explained in that little book you got. *glare*