Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K10D + old Manual Focus lenses

Now I know you can set the K10D to work with the aperture ring. I set it up once with an old lens I had. Tamakur 50mm f/2 to be exact. If memory serves me correctly, it worked, but the light meter didn't work and the aperture wasn't displayed. Did I do something wrong? Or is that how it goes?

11-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My apologies for not scrolling down in the threads! My question was answered here.
11-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With Old K Mount lenses you have no apature information because there are no electrical contacts to read maximum apature, and no lever to read the setting.

As a result, metering also does not work, BUT if you hit the Depth of Field switch (on the K10D the power switch rotated furhter) the lens stops down, and the light meter activates, you can then adjust shutter speed (with the dial) and apature on the lens to balance the exposure, like old fashioned matched needle metering.

You will also when the lens is stopped down, see the background focus change.

In AV mode, the lens will NOT stop down during exposure, regardless of apature ring setting, and the exposure will be based on wide open apature.

In Manual mode, pressing the green button will set the shutter to the correct speed for the lens apature, and will take the shot at the F-stop set on the lens..

I think this answers all the possible questions on K mounts.

With M43 lenses, when you stop down the lens the apature changes at the same time since there is no actuating lever to hold it open. As a result, you focus wide open, (easier to focus with bright view finder) stop the lens down, and in AV mode press the shutter and the camera sets the shutter speed corectly.