Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2006, 04:31 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
problem with K100D

Hi everyone...
This weekend I went to our National park "Plitvicka jezera", or "Plitvice lakes" ( NP Plitvička jezera ), and thought what a great oportunity to get more acquainted with my new K100D. I took pictures of this and that, and when I tried to take a picture of a building, I realized that some pillars have drunk too much, and are leaning to the left!

I did not see this error before because I shot mainly waterfalls, which do not have straight, lines perpendicular to ground. Afterwards, when I look at pictures where my girlfriend is, she's also leaning toward left...

I took my camera to the repair shop (they have to check it before you can get replacement) and they do not see the error!
Am I dumb, or are they blind?
After a brief conversation, repair guy said he'll check some more, and get in touch with me tomorrow...

Sorry for rant, but this is the most expensive piece of anything I've ever bought, and I am pretty upset. Thanx for reading.

Branimir

P.S. I'll put some pictures later this week, right now I have no time to do it.

12-18-2006, 04:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you mean the leveling has problem or something else? Do note that there is a thing so called "perspective distortion" which means that if you tilt up or down the camera lens, things will move outward from the down or top and the phenomenon is most obvious for wider angles.

If your viewfinder misaligned with the CCD (for leveling or whatsoever), you've not much to do but exchange the body soonest.

QuoteOriginally posted by Branimir Quote
Hi everyone...
This weekend I went to our National park "Plitvicka jezera", or "Plitvice lakes" ( NP Plitvička jezera ), and thought what a great oportunity to get more acquainted with my new K100D. I took pictures of this and that, and when I tried to take a picture of a building, I realized that some pillars have drunk too much, and are leaning to the left!

I did not see this error before because I shot mainly waterfalls, which do not have straight, lines perpendicular to ground. Afterwards, when I look at pictures where my girlfriend is, she's also leaning toward left...

Branimir
it.
12-18-2006, 04:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
I understand that. I took a pic of a doorframe and it was rotated. Shot close to object, far from object...
I understand about perspective distortion, and I believe that it was not it.
12-18-2006, 05:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

So do you mean the whole picture is rotated to the left?

Can you post some samples please!

12-18-2006, 05:47 AM   #5

Original Poster
I will, tomorrow...
12-19-2006, 01:47 AM   #6

Original Poster
Well, here is one resized. It looks like horizon fault, but that's because I couldn't keep my camera levelled and align a pillar with lines inside eyepiece.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
12-19-2006, 02:05 AM   #7
Inactive Account

It could be the focus screen is miss aligned or miss stamped giving you the wrong level in the brackets. have the camera shop check the focus screen and if need be have them replace it first, and then try again using a tripod. If the problem still exists then take it back to the shop and ask for a new body. If it doesn't happen using a tripod and every shot comes out level then I would suggest you pay more attention to where the focus brackets are when taking a picture and frame the subject with the brackets. I had trouble with my DL. at first and noticed a problem with leveling but soon found out it was me and not the camera.

I hope this helps.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David

12-19-2006, 02:53 AM   #8

Original Poster
The problem is that focus lines are perfectly aligned with edges of the picture in the eyepiece. (And doctors say I have perfect eyesight).
when I rotate camera to align with lines, whole frame rotates so much that you can see that its tilted.
12-19-2006, 03:16 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Get the body replaced. this should not be happening.

Good Shooting.
12-20-2006, 03:19 AM   #10

Original Poster
Epilogue:
Got a new body. Will see what will happen with this one. I tested it, and since I was too nervous, I couldn't steady my hand.

BTW, people from Pentax Croatia (better to say, the firm that does repairs) was very helpful and fast and... everything what one can only hope for when needing that kind of service.

Branimir
P.S. It seems that sensor was not rotated. Only view in the eyepiece.
12-20-2006, 05:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

"P.S. It seems that sensor was not rotated. Only view in the eyepiece."

interesting just how that could happen.. u turn the camera one piece physically turns and the other dosnt.. it must be connected somehow to the shake reduction mechanism..

i never commented on your problem because it seemed physically impossible but it seems it wasnt..

trog
12-20-2006, 06:09 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Glad to see you were able to get a new body and I hope everything is right this time. I'm also glad to see that the problem did not sway you from enjoying a great product. Everyone should remember cameras are mechanical, Put together by people and being that sometimes things are over looked when being assembled.

Congrats on the new camera and have fun taking lots of pictures.

Good Shooting.
12-20-2006, 06:10 AM   #13

Original Poster
The problem was this:
When you look in the eyepiece you see a picture (a rectangle). There are some lines that are bounrdaries of AF area. Those two are misaligned.
Lines are OK, rectangle is off a few degrees.
I used rectangle to make pictures -> pictures were off a few degrees.

The Camera Repairman (as opposite to bycicle repairman from Monty Python) told me that it's a problem that he could fix in 30 mins, but since it's brand new camera, he will state that a replacement is needed.

I must confess that I was in a such a state of shock, that only now I can see the problem for what it was.

Branimir
12-20-2006, 09:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Branimir Quote
The Camera Repairman (as opposite to bycicle repairman from Monty Python)
I hope everyone in your town doesn't dress like Superman...

Glad you got a new, fully functional camera. Now let's see some pictures - with straight horizons!

Julie
12-20-2006, 09:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I've been wondering if my viewfinder/sensor is tilted as well. I try to make sure the horizon is level, but I generally have to adjust the picture in PPL3 to straighten it out. I haven't taken a shot on the tripod to check, but I seem to always have the same amount of correction, in the same direction. Either I'm consistently off (a distinct possibility) or the view is slightly off. I don't really feel like messing with it, though, so I'll just live with it for now.