Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why purchasing a Pentax K10D makes sense.

The major players in the Digital SLR camera world are, as you likely know, Nikon and Canon which are alternatively in the lead position.

Then, there is or there will soon be Sony who is rapidly catching up and will undoubtedly become the third most popular DSLR (Their marketing budget is much bigger than any of the other DSLR companies).

Pentax and Olympus are the next in line followed by Fuji and Sigma. I must say that they all produce great cameras. I know you’ve heard that a thousand times, but “It’s not the camera…it’s the photographer” applies here.

Money talks. The bigger your marketing budget is, the more publicity you can afford, and the more sales you make. It’s a vicious circle as more people hear from your product; more people associate your brand as being the best.

Sometimes, the underdog (Which I believe it is the case with Pentax) has to work harder and produce better and more affordable products. May I suggest, since the space here is limited, that you continue reading this post on this blog site Pentax dslrs and then come back to post your opinion. This post is not intended to diminish the quality perception of any DSLR makers. It is intended to show why purchasing a K10D was the best decision for you.

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque

11-30-2007, 03:50 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I 100% agree with bigger marketing budget anf publicity. Canon and Nikon are no. 1 in modern photography equipment, no doubt. But as an amateur in SLR photography, I don't se any point in spending twice as much money for the same or even less capable camera, just because it is a Canon.
I bought my first digital camera in 2003. It was Canon PowerShot S1 IS. In september 2007 it was broken all of the sudden. Optic problem, they said at Canon service site. I also have a couple of friends with PowerShot point & shoot cameras with optic problems and expensive repairs.
So maybe that's one of the reasons I didn't decide for Canon.
I did a research for entering models of SLR digital cameras. I read a lot of articles, test, revisions, etc. Every article I read, there was a Pentax K100D model in the top 5 of entering models, poping up.
So I convienced myself not to follow comerciall lead, but to expert opinions.

But there is one down side of being Pentax DSLR user: there is a lack of equipment offer. Everyone is just selling Canon an Nikon equipment. So: less offer, higer the prices.... you know how it is.
11-30-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
Inactive Account

My first and only SLR I owned was a ZX-7 35mm Pentax. I was very happy with this camera, it was ergonomically proportioned and easy to use. I just quit using it when I went digital. My first digital I bought around 2000 was a Canon A40. Once I realized the benefits of digital, it was hard for me to go back to film. I did miss the flexibilty I had with the SLR though, so I started researching the DSLR market. Yes I noticed the market here in the US was all Canon and Nikon. The other thing I noticed is what features you got for your dollar. The K10D ,for the money, was loaded up like a Nikon or Canon of twice the price. Just holding it in the store I thought, wow, this thing is awesome for half the cost. I originally was only going to get the K100D, but after talking with the camera experts at National Camera they steered me towards the K10D. I can't see myself ever needing more than this. I plan on buying a AF-360 flash and a Tamron or Pentax 18-250mm lens in the near future.
11-30-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For me... I don't really need to read articles to bolster my belief that I purchased the right camera. I did my research beforehand. I handled all the cameras in question beforehand. I took my SD card (and compact flash card) and shot images with all the cameras beforehand. I deliberately chose the Pentax because it handled best in my hands and produced images that I liked. I really don't require "experts" to confirm my decision. Besides, I'm skeptical of "experts" telling me why such and such equipment is best. What is best for me is something that I personally determine by hands-on usage.

Just my two cents, mind you.

11-30-2007, 09:16 AM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
completely tangential to the discussion... Too bad Blogspot doesn't take advertising... I'd pay to see Yvon's Blog advertised on RiceHigh's blog page(s) w/o control over what is advertised there by the blog service...
11-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I got a K10D for the same reason most of us did: It had the most features (not gimmicks) for the lowest price. I also thought I'd be able to get some cheap lenses off eBay to continue growing as a photographer without going bankrupt. Yeah, the eBay thing didn't really pan out how I expected it to... Speaking of which, Yvon, I see you're selling your Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8; if only I had the money! Good luck with the sale, anyway.
11-30-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

IMNSHO, just another which is better thread. Why cannot we just agree that those of us that have chosen a Pentax slr or dslr, have made the desicion that is right for his or her's photography.

I find these posts insulting to say the least.

Dave

11-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
IMNSHO, just another which is better thread. Why cannot we just agree that those of us that have chosen a Pentax slr or dslr, have made the desicion that is right for his or her's photography.

Dave
Dave, in my personal opinion, no one forces anyone to read any thread at all. If you don't like the subject title, don't open the thread.

I agree that everyone on this Pentax Forum made the right decision, that's a given. There is nothing insulting about that, and if it offends you, accept my apologies.

The botton line, I would like to know and assemble the multiple reasons why people buy Pentax.

You should have noticed that my first post, at the beginning of this thread, I clearly list all makes of DSLRs and that I point out that they are all good cameras and that they all can render beautiful pictures. The point of my thread is to find out what was important in your and other reader's decision to purchase a Pentax. That will help beginners and other people not knowing which camera to purchase. The results will be posted on my blog for a permanent place to look at for soon-to-be Pentax owners, I hope.

Thank you for your comments, good or bad, I like to have feedback.

Regards,

Yvon Bourque
11-30-2007, 06:58 PM   #9
Inactive Account

After rebate, my Pentax K10D with an 18-55 mm Pentax lens and a Kingston 2GB SD card will cost $615. Enough said.
11-30-2007, 08:59 PM   #10

I looked at and handled several different makes and models of cameras. I then compared them all, feature by feature. The Pentax gave me more useful features for my money. Based on that, I purchased a K10D. I really enjoy the camera and have no regrets about my decision.

Cheers,

Phil
11-30-2007, 10:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote

Dave
Dave, I couldn't agree more. And that was essentially what I "tried" to say, albeit... not as succinctly as you. All the best.
11-30-2007, 11:09 PM   #12

For me there was no 600$ prices for K10D, not even close. And still I chose it. Why?

Well it's the matter of simple comparsion.

Canon, the absolute leader by means of number of DSLRs sold? No, thanks. I just hate it's color rendition an ALL cameras, including even 5D. Especially the almost always whitened sky. Very fast AF? Well, yes, but that's does not matter for me at all.

Nikon? Well, D70s and D50 were great! But they are 6MP camera, I wanted 10MP to have more freedom in cropping. D80 and D200? They have too blurry images for me - too strong AA filter before the matrix. Turn up the sharpness and you get moire. A lot of moire. So - not for me too.

SONY? Yes, they sold LOTS of their toy, called A100. And I have 2 friends owning it. All i can say - it breakes. Just plain that - buttons stop functioning, and that's happening during the first year of use. Maybe A700 is assembled better, but I am not willing to risk.

Panasonic? Was one of the most attractive cams for me (L10). But is costs too much unfortunately, and the choice of lenses is extremely limited, in additions good telezoom 14-150 will cost 1200$. To go this way I guess I'll have to wait a 10 years or so lol.

Fuji? Extremely overcosted.

Olympus? Yes, this one was tempting. Great features, very acceptable quality. A little limited lens choice. And good lenses are VERY costly. So after some thoughts I got - yep, you guessed right -

K10D. Actually GX-10, was a bit cheaper. Same great colors as Nikon's. Extremely sharp pictures (please no NOT say anything again about JPEG softness lol, ok?). Great ergonomics. Good compatibility with old lenses so you can get excellent lenses practically for nothing. It has it's flaws, yes, but they are more then acceptable for me.

So that's my way.
12-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #13

In the days before iPods, when you built a stereo system from components, the word was to spend the biggest part of your budget on the speakers, the part of the system that you actually listen to.

I think the same could be said for photographic systems, spend the biggest part of your budget on the lenses, the part of the system that actually gathers the light. And while we're all wondering about the next body to come, we can still use all those legacy lenses from decades ago.

I bought into the Pentax system because of the two new DA* lenses. Two lenses covering a 35mm equivalent of 24 to 200mm, 2.8 fixed aperture, weatherized and image stabilized. I couldn't come up with anything close to the quality and convenience in Nikon or Canon, let alone for the price.

I suppose you could build a system around the L-series lenses from Canon, but I made that mistake with the Contax system years ago. I reasoned I could add those fab Zeiss lenses as needed, but the cost was just too great. I had to settle for Yashica and Kiron; not bad lenses, but not why I bought into the Contax system in the first place.

So for me, the K10D purchase was a means to use some beautiful Pentax glass.
12-01-2007, 11:50 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Knowing what I know now, even with Pentax's less complete new lens lines, I'd still get Pentax. Three reasons
1)backwards compatibility with all older Pentax glass
2)in camera shake reduction (my 300mm SMC lens is now a SR/VR/IS lens and cost me less than $300!)
3) weather sealing.

Because of the first two, ALL of my lenses, some of them quite old, but still optically sound, are not only inexpensive but can take advantage of the anti shake feature built into the camera. Because of #3, I'm not afraid of getting caught out in inclement weather, and a lens is a LOT more weather proof than a body, and even a non weather sealed lens can be used in some pretty rough conditions if you're careful. The only problem, like everyone else has stated, is the lack of availability of a wide variety of good new glass.

NaCl(those are the three main selling points for the K10D IMHO)H2O
12-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snowcat Quote
For me there was no 600$ prices for K10D, not even close. And still I chose it. Why?
Same here...I paid $999.00 for the body only and have never felt cheated...I would spend it again...This after I had already bought a D200 for $1799.00...I bought the Nikon after because I thought it was a better camera and frankly, that did not turn out to be the case..The problem was the photographer (me) but I can tell you this...The camera that sits is the Nikon..The pentax K10D is easier to use, the results are great and it does not feel like a toy...