Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2007, 02:29 AM   #1

How do you test for damaged sensor? (Pentax K10d)

Regardless of lighting and/or ISO, dark colors on my pictures would come out really grainy (even ISO 100 or 200 at times!).

The problem looked really bad when looking back at pictures on the preview LCD and zooming in with the wheel, but doesn't appear AS bad when looking it on my computer (sample attached).

How can you test your sensor?

I unfortunately got some fine dust caught in my camera while I was in the Middle East (once my first "dusty" picture came out, I immediately went into a building and used the Rocket Blaster ... pictures were clear after that, but I'm scared it damaged the sensor - seems like reds come out overblown ever since... might just be me).

I'd appreciate any wisdom/advice/testing techniques form my fellow wise pentaxians :]

God bless,
Jon

Attached Images

11-30-2007, 02:30 AM   #2

Original Poster
picture is compressed, so really hard to see - I'll try to post a better example soon, but any general advice still appreciated!
11-30-2007, 04:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by USCdeacon Quote
picture is compressed, so really hard to see - I'll try to post a better example soon, but any general advice still appreciated!
Why not add an enlarged crop of a particular area you can see the problem in.

- Bert
11-30-2007, 04:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

And post it with intact EXIF info. Your first picture is without EXIF info at all.

11-30-2007, 11:18 PM   #5

Test is really easy. Turn up the sensitivity to 1600. Close the lens cap. Set the camera on the table, so it will not move, and then shoot one image in RAW.

Then go import the RAW file, and see it inch my inch. If should be black. Well, with some noise, yes, but mostly black. You'll see all dead pixels (if any), they will be bright blue. And all hot pixels (they will be most likely reddish).
11-30-2007, 11:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jon, what do you have your image quality set to?

1. Take a RAW shot and examine that. You cannot judge sensor quality from low res jpegs. If you can only use jpegs, set your jpeg to 10 Meg *** (High) quality.

2. Set your contrast, saturation and sharpness to 0 and examine the image.
12-01-2007, 03:12 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks for the quick replies!

I'll try it out sometime this weekend and post results (with EXIF intact
asap.
12-01-2007, 06:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I unfortunately got some fine dust caught in my camera while I was in the Middle East (once my first "dusty" picture came out, I immediately went into a building and used the Rocket Blaster ... pictures were clear after that, but I'm scared it damaged the sensor - seems like reds come out overblown ever since... might just be me).
I think it's unlikely that dust permanently damaged the sensor -- the sensor itself is covered by a protective layer.

12-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #9
PDL
Pentaxian

It is important to also remember that the sensor - on DSLR's - is behind the shutter except during exposure. (Pentax DSLR's have a vertical travel focal plane shutter - just like their film SLR's)

However, with 'live view' the sensor will be exposed for extended periods and it will be charged --==>> dust magnet.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
12-02-2007, 08:04 AM   #10

QuoteQuote:
However, with 'live view' the sensor will be exposed for extended periods and it will be charged --==>> dust magnet.
Yep, true. But Olympus made their dust removal technique extremely good. It really removes almost all, and people say that even constantly using LV they dont have to clean their sensor for years. So if someone did it, then it IS possible. Our (Pentax's) current dust removal is not even nearly that effective, but I hope that will change for the next camera, which is rumored to have LV.