Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-7 shutter/mirror problem

so i was on glacier the other day and took my Pentax with me to take some photos, well i now have a weird problem, no mater what button i press the mirror fires three times. but i cant change shutter times or F values etc, or take pictures.

i found one other post on this but it was within warranty so no luck in troubleshooting there.

i have tried to reset camera, change lenses etc. but nothing. the camera didn't get a knock or anything, it was waiving from my neck when this happened, i took some pics then fixed some carabiners and went to take a new pic.

its difficult to tell but might be that shutter button is halfway pressed, but cant see why the camera would fire three times when i press menu if that is the case.

so any ideas?

08-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ok so to replay to myself just minutes after i posted this, i have scratched my head over this camera for two days now, and now i was just looking over it and pressing on different areas just to see if something was lose, but now when i fire it up... wait for it..... it works what the F..

well i am glad i works but what the hell was this. i would like to know just in case it happens again
08-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is/was bracketing on?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-29-2011, 03:57 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
no, but cant see why having bracketing on would cause the camera to fire three times when changing F value or pushing menu button

08-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
i guess it's reasonable to assume the transition from the cold outside to the warmth inside has something to do with it. i've used mine down to -30C or so, but Pentax only claims cold resistance down to -10C.
08-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
well the camera had been inside for one day + the 7 hour travel by car and nothing until i started fiddling with it. and it was maybe 5 degrees Celsius on the glacier.

my thought is that shutter button might have been locked half pressed, but i didn't feel anything when fiddling
08-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Difficult to hypothesize abt, isn't it? If it comes back to normal after a spell in a warm environment, one suspect would be condensation inside the caemra, and also inside the lens if it's got an SDM motor. Camera feeds big power to the motor and if there's a short in that path who knows what the resulting behavior might be. The camera body isn't air tight so atmospheric moisture will enter.

But +5C, i don't see that'd cause this kindo prob unless you're going from the cold into very humid air.
08-31-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yeah and the only other one i could find with similar problem was on a new camera that was sent back on warrenty