Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #31

Original Poster
Excanonfd - You might not be - as am I - at that interesting age where one's eyeballs, glasses regardless - are not always in perfect focus...

Must agree, you're right - that first shot, whether AF or MF - should be spot-on for focus... Sadly, I'm a bit less frozen-solid than a motionless statue with a camera hand-held - so I even use the shake-reduction in the camera, which isn't very "purist". That is - if you have, even in a P&S, shutter in Manual mode at 1/4000th - you shouldn't need the anti-shake doings...

That is - shoot the wee-birdy in the bush at 1/3600th or such - and so long as the focus is also perfect - "chimp-away" and wear a superior smile at your always-perfect images...

My problem is that I'm not quite (?) - that good (by about 99.5%...) - so with the SX10 I do use the focus-bracketing... As for needing to "preset the over-under" distance - no, I use the middle setting - and it's been set at that, "sticky", for quite some months.

Also - my targets tend not to co-operate too well - if I did as you suggest - try to nail-it on the first single shot - then "chimp" and if needed, shoot again - the target would usually have departed the scene.

Using the "other camera" - Fuji HS10 - and banging-off bursts at 12fps or 7fps won't help any in that situation - each frame is shot at the focus of the first in the burst... That camera doesn't focus-bracket. It'd be nice if it did - even just for "long shots" at 30x (nominal 720mm equiv) - on a tripod. Yes - that device can "sort-of" LiveView - that is - you can use the tilting 3" LCD in "magnified" mode, with MF. So you can be "quite sure" the darned target was in squeaky-sharp focus..., apparently.

Just "viewing" the shot taken in the LCD is useless for seeing how good the focus is - even magged-up in the LCD. It can look okay there - and be waaay-off once on PC... So - at least in tripod mode - I can do the "bit-over / bit-under" with the focus-ring on the barrel, repeat shots. But that's too awkward to do hand-held - particularly with a moving target....

- Yes, the idea of an Infinity Focus button or setting is great! Not just for daylight - it'd be a big help with "in the dark" or starlight shots, long-exposures... My godson - I bought him a Fuji S1800 last year, as a teenager-knockabout camera, but it isn't a pocket-sized device - has just been given (he chose it) - a Canon A1200 for pocket use. He was telling me over the phone that it "even has infinity focus for in-the-dark-shots" - all for $106.00.... I wasn't too sure he was right - so downloaded the Manual... Yep - he was right!

Regards, Dave.

(Attrib Canon A1200 Manual, Page 87.)

Attached Images

09-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #32

Photos: Albums
Focus Bracketing

Focus Bracketing and DoF Bracketing are not the same thing. Focus bracketing shifts the actual point of focus backwards and forwards. Contax invented Focus Bracketing with their last SLR's.

I've always wondered too why the function is not standard on all DSLR's by now.