Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2007, 06:34 PM   #31
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
QuoteOriginally posted by AlbertSiegel Quote
It is a very sad situation, but a common one in this part of the United Sates. I am a bit surprised at the attention his death is getting.... then again he is very well known.

Everything starts at 11:00am tomorrow. I must be there by 6:00am to secure a good spot for me and my co-workers. I have no idea what I should take, so I plan to take everything other than my limiteds. Might be one of the few times I use my slow 400mm lens. Nobody from the media will be able to speak with the family as far as i know. I think it will be shown on CNN live. I really won't know what will happen till it does.

I will try to post some photos if anyone is interested.
Albert
May I ask...What is it that u do?

12-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #32
Site Supporter
LeoTaylor's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Connecticut
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 679
I've had one experience with Pentax Service and I was mostly happy with how it worked out. My K110D had only been used 4 days, but I attached a letter explaining how I killed it removing the IR filter. I sent it to Colorado, it took slightly over a month to come back. I was not aware of the expedited service option until too late. It came back repaired for a acce-ptable price and they did not replace the filter as I asked. I felt paying for a repair of a modified camera was better than buying another K110D with internal filter.

It took awhile before I was sure, but it did have a flaw after repair. It forgets the date every time I replace the batteries. Since this camera is on external power most of the time I decided to live with that. But, as the original poster said, my camera was returned with a new problem.
12-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #33
Pentaxian
cardinal43's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,371
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
First of all, if you can, send my condolences over to the Taylor family. The man was finally getting things right, and then this happens. Sad.

I would agree with the others that maybe Ned Bunnell can help you. Even in his busy schedule, he finds time (well, at least he used to) to pop in over at DPR and help out some people there who had troubles with Pentax. I guess it wouldn't hurt to send him an e-mail, even if you're gonna call Pentax soon. At least he'd know that there are problems with some service centers. Not a good thing since I do believe he mentioned Pentax pro service in the works.
He doesn't take time to answer questions posted on his blog.
12-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #34
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 264
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
He doesn't take time to answer questions posted on his blog.
To be fair, his blog also says that he's V.P. of Marketing, while he's actually been appointed President of Pentax Imaging. Having been made the big boss man, the head honcho, the big cheese, he probably has his hands full ... but what was your question to him? Albert's is truly a horror story, and I imagine that when he hears it he will either take the time or find someone who can.

12-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #35
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: York Region Canada
Posts: 642
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Personally, I would like to see a pic of the damaged goods...


$7000.00 in pentax gear is allot of gear in three months....Smells fishy to me...
Oh, i don't know about that.

I spent over $7k in one day at Henrys.

Nikon gear, so i quess it does not count, eh.

Dave
12-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #36
Pentaxian
cardinal43's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,371
QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
To be fair, his blog also says that he's V.P. of Marketing, while he's actually been appointed President of Pentax Imaging. Having been made the big boss man, the head honcho, the big cheese, he probably has his hands full ... but what was your question to him? Albert's is truly a horror story, and I imagine that when he hears it he will either take the time or find someone who can.
I had read the explanation on his blog regarding the Pentax rebate, and how it was being handled. Pentax is in the process of stiffing me for the $50 rebate, and I posted a message to him on his blog describing the problem (it was in a rebate thread), and never got an answer. I know he is busy, but if you invite people to let you know about any problems and then fail to answer any questions, then why have the blog?
12-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #37
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,713
QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
Oh, i don't know about that.

I spent over $7k in one day at Henrys.

Nikon gear, so i quess it does not count, eh.

Dave
I was recently looking at Nikon gear the other day, and it was more affordable the the equivalent Pentax gear I was also looking at

I'm not saying that this is normal, it may have just been what I was looking at.
12-03-2007, 07:12 PM   #38
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I was recently looking at Nikon gear the other day, and it was more affordable the the equivalent Pentax gear I was also looking at

I'm not saying that this is normal, it may have just been what I was looking at.
Actually when comparing apples to apples both Canon and nikon are a little cheaper in cost....When my Wife and I first got our cameras we both bought a 70-300mm lens and mine was 29.00 more for the same lens...

So we make out good on bodies, but thats it....

12-03-2007, 07:43 PM   #39
Veteran Member
wlachan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,626
Hi AlbertSiegel. I can certainly feel the pain when any repair went wrong. Happened to me so many times that I started repairing my own stuffs. Anyway, if Pentax USA failed to address the damages that they had caused, perhaps you might pack everything and send to Pentax Japan Tokyo and let the headquarter fix it for good. However, don't expect an exchange through Pentax Japan because they will not. But they should have no problem replacing the chipped or scratched parts that have been caused by Pentax USA. Since the face plate and the aperture blade of the FA43 aren't regular stocked parts here in North America, waiting for them to replace them will take at least 2 months just for the parts to ship from Japan (and they don't just ship a few tiny parts if you know what I mean). Sadly you won't take the black Limited offered by Pentax USA or it would be the best route. But this lens is rather simple in design and replacing parts should be fast and easy and not affect the optical performance at all. But I can understand your doubt on their ability. The only concern is that now HOYA takes over Pentax. Should you decide to ship them to Japan, you might do it sooner than later, and expect at least 4 weeks before it comes back. Good luck.
12-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #40
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Not A Wise Move, Probably.

Last time, I shipped my *ist DS back to Tokyo Japan via Jebsen but Pentax Japan broke my *ist DS - broken viewfinder optics inside and seriously misaligned AF mirror.

If there was no document proof, I would suspect that it was Jebsen who caused the damage - but actually they were just far more careful than Pentax Japan in handling the cameras under repair. In fact, they showed me clearly that the repair documents from the "Overseas Service Division" of Tokyo Japan. So, it is very clear that it was Pentax Japan who did the damage.

After the damage, Pentax Japan had never responded back to my reports on their crimes and my request for rectification/replacement. Instead, it was Jebsen who was the most helpful to replace a display unit under their demo windows in their old show room for my broken unit.

p.s. Jebsen is the local Pentax sole agent at my country.

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Hi AlbertSiegel. I can certainly feel the pain when any repair went wrong. Happened to me so many times that I started repairing my own stuffs. Anyway, if Pentax USA failed to address the damages that they had caused, perhaps you might pack everything and send to Pentax Japan Tokyo and let the headquarter fix it for good. However, don't expect an exchange through Pentax Japan because they will not. But they should have no problem replacing the chipped or scratched parts that have been caused by Pentax USA. Since the face plate and the aperture blade of the FA43 aren't regular stocked parts here in North America, waiting for them to replace them will take at least 2 months just for the parts to ship from Japan (and they don't just ship a few tiny parts if you know what I mean). Sadly you won't take the black Limited offered by Pentax USA or it would be the best route. But this lens is rather simple in design and replacing parts should be fast and easy and not affect the optical performance at all. But I can understand your doubt on their ability. The only concern is that now HOYA takes over Pentax. Should you decide to ship them to Japan, you might do it sooner than later, and expect at least 4 weeks before it comes back. Good luck.
12-05-2007, 08:30 AM   #41
Veteran Member
Albert Siegel's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 344
Original Poster
::UPDATE::

I was finally able to speak to the top person in charge of the service department. He was very friendly and helpful. He offered to pay for my return shipping and will replace both the K10D and the 43mm Limited. While I really wanted the silver one, I accepted the black version as a replacement since that is the only one they can get. At least I will be sent new items that have not been damaged.

In the end, even though it has taken far longer and cost me more than it should have, I am happy with the results and Pentax USA. I guess it could have been worse and they could have just kept attempting repairs.

My thanks to Pentax USA for keeping me happy by doing the right thing and many thanks to all members of this great forum for all the help. This forum and its members are fantastic!
12-05-2007, 08:34 AM   #42
Veteran Member
Albert Siegel's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 344
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Albert
May I ask...What is it that u do?
I work as part-time staff and a freelance photojournalist for a large newspaper in South Florida. I also freelance with video and web video production.

It can be difficult at times since I need to buy all my gear. No loaners for me unless I buy back into Canon. I was never really happy with Canon and I have already invested so much into Pentax that it looks like I will be a Pentax Pro for a long time. I just wish I could find a nice long zoom. I really hope that 60-250mm comes out soon.

The Sean Taylor service was larger than I expected. Many big names showed up. The big surprise was when OJ Simpson arrived. Not a single person there that I know of expected him. Every camera surrounded him as if he were the only person there. I will post photos if anyone is interested. You can also see the story and a photo slideshow if you go to the Miami Herald website. Just search for Sean Taylor.
12-05-2007, 08:56 AM   #43
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
Yeah looks like it was a huge event. Good to see a couple of your shots in the slideshow from the Herald. Also glad to hear you are getting some service now and they are taking care of you. Was it them who contacted you after writing or did you just have to keep calling?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
43mm, camera, dslr, dust, gear, k10d, lens, offer, pentax, photography, service, silver
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wet and Angry Ira Monthly Photo Contests 2 10-28-2010 07:22 AM
Angry Eyes Gene Temple Monthly Photo Contests 0 02-06-2010 05:18 PM
Angry Douglas_of_Sweden Monthly Photo Contests 2 04-25-2009 01:17 PM
The Angry Egg Gaelen Post Your Photos! 0 07-01-2008 11:00 AM
Angry Moose dvdman45 Post Your Photos! 3 02-10-2008 11:53 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:55 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top