Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Really angry with Pentax USA... help!

This is my situation. I sent a Pentax K10D and FA43mm Limited to service at Pentax USA back in August. They fixed the K10D to perfection, but sent it back with quite a bit of dust in the rear LCD. The 43mm was still not as good as it should have been and now had dust on the inside. I sent them both back to service to get them cleaned and serviced properly as should have been done the first time.

After a few weeks, they were returned them to me even worse than when I sent them. The K10D still had dust, but now the body was bent where they stuck some sort of putty knife to pop out the LCD cover in an attempt to clean. This is very lazy as they should have opened the camera properly and cleaned it properly. The 43mm came back with more dust inside, one light scratch on the aperture blade and light scratches all over the black part on the front where is says the serial number and made in Japan.

I sent the 43mm back and was told it would be replaced. After being bounced between service managers I was told that it would not be replaced. After I made my point and expressed my anger at Pentax, I was offered an exchange that was not what I wanted.

My 43mm lens is silver and they offered me the black version. They said they cannot get me the silver version even though I could still buy it. I asked them to refund me what I paid so I can buy the silver version and was told I they can not do that. They offered to repair the lens and at first I agreed, but called and told them not to the next day as I really do not feel comfortable with their service and the condition of the lens.

I really do not want the 43mm I sent in. I bought it new a few months ago and have not been able to enjoy it. I think I would have been better off if I bought one used. I am thinking of just accepting the new black lens and selling it when it arrives and take a loss. I bought a 50mm for use till I get my 43 back as it looked as I would not have my 43mm fixed for a while.... It's sad that I was right.

As for the K10D, I still cannot get a supervisor to return my call after a few days. I want that replaced too. I bought them both new in August and have not been able to enjoy either. This is by far the very worst warranty service I have ever had by any company ever. This was the very reason I left Canon and I am stunned that Pentax is worse.

I really want to like Pentax as a company. I really love their products. I really enjoy all my gear. I must have spent around $7,000USD in the last three months on Pentax gear. But I am really starting to get angry at Pentax. I am really considering selling all my gear and moving back to Canon. At least they tried a little harder to keep the customer happy.

I will give this one last chance. Does anyone here have any advice on how I can get this taken care of once and for all? Is there anyone I can contact at Pentax that will really help? I just canceled my order for a third K10D body and am placing my plans to purchase a wide angle and macro lens on hold for now. I will not buy a single bit of gear till I have this matter settled. If I cannot get this taken care of to my satisfaction , I will just move on. I am tired of waiting and games.

Pentax damaged both my items and I am scared to send in a second lens for service. I am nervous they will damage this too. This is not my fault and I think Pentax should do the right thing and replace my camera and lens. Their offer was to send them back in for another try. You would think they would at least offer to pay shipping on the camera as they did for the lens the third time I sent it in.

Can anyone offer any advice or help? Is there anyone at Pentax USA that I can contact that will get things done? Does Pentax even care? Help please!

11-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to Pentax Forums Albert, and I'm sorry to hear about your problems.

I haven't had to deal with any warranty repair, but from what I understand most people here have had positive experiences.

My advise would be to talk to the store you bought it from (if you didn't buy it on-line), and see what they can do.

edit, I see that you posted this in the Film section. You'll probably get a better response in the Pentax DSLR Discussion, so I'll PM the administrator and ask him to move this thread.
11-30-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlbertSiegel Quote
This is my situation. I sent a Pentax K10D and FA43mm Limited to service at Pentax USA back in August. They fixed the K10D to perfection, but sent it back with quite a bit of dust in the rear LCD. The 43mm was still not as good as it should have been and now had dust on the inside. I sent them both back to service to get them cleaned and serviced properly as should have been done the first time.

After a few weeks, they were returned them to me even worse than when I sent them. The K10D still had dust, but now the body was bent where they stuck some sort of putty knife to pop out the LCD cover in an attempt to clean. This is very lazy as they should have opened the camera properly and cleaned it properly. The 43mm came back with more dust inside, one light scratch on the aperture blade and light scratches all over the black part on the front where is says the serial number and made in Japan.

I sent the 43mm back and was told it would be replaced. After being bounced between service managers I was told that it would not be replaced. After I made my point and expressed my anger at Pentax, I was offered an exchange that was not what I wanted.

My 43mm lens is silver and they offered me the black version. They said they cannot get me the silver version even though I could still buy it. I asked them to refund me what I paid so I can buy the silver version and was told I they can not do that. They offered to repair the lens and at first I agreed, but called and told them not to the next day as I really do not feel comfortable with their service and the condition of the lens.

I really do not want the 43mm I sent in. I bought it new a few months ago and have not been able to enjoy it. I think I would have been better off if I bought one used. I am thinking of just accepting the new black lens and selling it when it arrives and take a loss. I bought a 50mm for use till I get my 43 back as it looked as I would not have my 43mm fixed for a while.... It's sad that I was right.

As for the K10D, I still cannot get a supervisor to return my call after a few days. I want that replaced too. I bought them both new in August and have not been able to enjoy either. This is by far the very worst warranty service I have ever had by any company ever. This was the very reason I left Canon and I am stunned that Pentax is worse.

I really want to like Pentax as a company. I really love their products. I really enjoy all my gear. I must have spent around $7,000USD in the last three months on Pentax gear. But I am really starting to get angry at Pentax. I am really considering selling all my gear and moving back to Canon. At least they tried a little harder to keep the customer happy.

I will give this one last chance. Does anyone here have any advice on how I can get this taken care of once and for all? Is there anyone I can contact at Pentax that will really help? I just canceled my order for a third K10D body and am placing my plans to purchase a wide angle and macro lens on hold for now. I will not buy a single bit of gear till I have this matter settled. If I cannot get this taken care of to my satisfaction , I will just move on. I am tired of waiting and games.

Pentax damaged both my items and I am scared to send in a second lens for service. I am nervous they will damage this too. This is not my fault and I think Pentax should do the right thing and replace my camera and lens. Their offer was to send them back in for another try. You would think they would at least offer to pay shipping on the camera as they did for the lens the third time I sent it in.

Can anyone offer any advice or help? Is there anyone at Pentax USA that I can contact that will get things done? Does Pentax even care? Help please!
I'd be on the horn with Pentax until I get some satisfaction! I had a warranty repair done and other than taking a loooooonnnnnngggggg time, I am satisfied with the repairs. I'd get a supervisor on the phone quick...and get a loaner while your cam is being fixed right! You could check Ned Bunnell's (the President of Pentax USA) blog and see if there is an email address for him or a contact address. Write a letter....
11-30-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Welcome to Pentax Forums Albert, and I'm sorry to hear about your problems.

I haven't had to deal with any warranty repair, but from what I understand most people here have had positive experiences.

My advise would be to talk to the store you bought it from (if you didn't buy it on-line), and see what they can do.

edit, I see that you posted this in the Film section. You'll probably get a better response in the Pentax DSLR Discussion, so I'll PM the administrator and ask him to move this thread.

Thank you for the welcome. I have been reading these forums for a few months and really enjoy them. They are quite helpful. Thank you for helping me move the topic. I must have placed it here by mistake.

The store I bought from said it is too late for them to help. I understand there is nothing they can do now. This is the fault of Pentax USA anyway.

11-30-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The store that I deal with tries their best to help their customers even after the warranty is over.

I can't tell you what Nikon said to do, but one of his regular customers got their camera fixed 2 months after the warranty period for free.

I'd talk to the store owner. Him just talking to Pentax might be all it takes to speed up the process.
If he isn't even willing to talk to them on your behalf he doesn't deserve your business
11-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Sad but it is the Reality!

These things keep repeatedly happened especially with Pentax and their particular poor service. Last time Pentax *Japan* broken my *ist DS after their "repair" at Japan and they refused to respond to me and follow up on my case neither. Finally, it was my Pentax local *agent* who replaced a black demo unit of the DS. However, similar to your case, mine was a rarer silver version which I like.

It was ridiculous that Pentax Japan even broke the optics of my viewfinder *inside* the eyepiece plus seriously misaligned the mirror such that the central AF point where it is sensitive was moved out of the central bracket and so on. So, it should be totally unarguable that it's all their fault.

For your case, I think you will have little hope to get the issue resolved as it should be remembered that it is typical Pentax. As even the Pentax's principal, i.e., Pentax Japan, have been doing things in such a irrresponsible and absurd way. What else you could ask for and expected for a subsidiary company like the Pentax USA??

Anyway, I recommend you to accept the replacement offer of the black version of the 43 limited as it is indeed a rarer version which should be more expensive in value and so it may be worth to accept it. Nonetheless, I know that you like the silver colour better but I think you offered offer is already very good. Remember it is better than none and it already much better than most average customers were treated, AFAIK.

Particularly for seeing that nowadays the recent Pentax products are having more design and QC issues as reported than the old days plus the new Pentax products are not as reliable as the old ones as in the old days, such super inferior repair service plus after sales is just a big joke to their customers and users (however it is very sad afterall).

For anyone who are interested for more about my stories, read this:-

A Letter to the CEO of Pentax Corporation

However, even writing to the CEO like this one via registered mail received NO response! They just ignored their customers totally all together as they used to be, even it is obvious it is their mistakes - they broke my camera fully and made it to be totally unusable.

Last edited by RiceHigh; 11-30-2007 at 08:40 PM.
11-30-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PM sent. Check your private messages
11-30-2007, 09:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Stewart took the last turn So I guess I'll pick up the ball. My dear friend RH, I've used Pentax service both locally and at HO. Both experiences were just fine and I don't think that Albert's difficulties are the norm.
You are wrong that the black version is the rarer one. The silver is the rare one and blacks are much more common since they don't make silver bodied cameras any longer.
As for design and QC issues. the designs are just fine and have been debated with you at great length before. QC? Well every company has some issues no matter how expensive the product item is. They've had some issues with a couple of items but I'm certain no more than any other.

I'm tempted to trash your usual Pentax bashing comments but suffice to say. Albert I'm sorry you're having these troubles and hope you can resolve the problems. Just ignore RH above, he has a Pentax hating agenda.

11-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes, write to Mr. Ned Bunnell ( Blogger: User Profile: Ned Bunnell ) and see if he can help you.

Do write back here to let us know about the final results of your case.
11-30-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't completely believe you or Ricehigh. You had this problem with both Canon and now Pentax?

It is not believable that any factory service damages worse than the OEM was sent in, and then sends it out, and then repeats the mistake. They're better than that. And that it happened to you more than once. And that it happened to you with different manufacturers.

Either you are fabricating this story for ulterior motives or you feel your purchases entitle you to a personal - corporate indictment.

It is common procedure when OEM's face a customer like you to stonewall: there is no other equitable solution.
11-30-2007, 11:26 PM   #11
MUD

QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
I don't completely believe you or Ricehigh. You had this problem with both Canon and now Pentax?

It is not believable that any factory service damages worse than the OEM was sent in, and then sends it out, and then repeats the mistake. They're better than that. And that it happened to you more than once. And that it happened to you with different manufacturers.

Either you are fabricating this story for ulterior motives or you feel your purchases entitle you to a personal - corporate indictment.

It is common procedure when OEM's face a customer like you to stonewall: there is no other equitable solution.

Agreed!!
11-30-2007, 11:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I try not to judge people until I've had a chance to see what they're like, and with just 2 posts I haven' the faintest idea what AlbertSiegel is like.

And even Rice High has made some good points in the past
He appears to be alright with the K100, but has some serious issues with the K10.
12-01-2007, 01:21 AM   #13
Site Supporter

As a customer service manager, I can assure you will get further with a calm and solid discussion. State your problems, point out any issues with previous service, and firmly ask for some resolution. Tantrums, swearing, or ultimatums normally result in the waiter spitting in your soup.
12-01-2007, 02:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
It is not believable that any factory service damages worse than the OEM was sent in....
Oh, I dunno about that. One time I sent my Mitsubishi Fuso tractor to the dealer with two air leaks and it came back with three. My company has bought well over 100 large trucks from them (between 80 and 100 grand each), so it isn't like we're on the bottom of the preferential treatment list with our local dealer. Sometimes crappy service happens. No company and no customer is entirely immune from it.
12-01-2007, 06:37 AM   #15
Pentaxian

what I find amazing in all of this is no one reports what the initial problem was!

Why did the camera get sent out in the first place?????

I also agree that I find it difficult to believe the service was this poor, and that they physically damaged the camera.

I have never had an issue like this either with Pentax service (who repaired one of my lenses) or with independdant service (who repaired the broken metering in my KX.)

In fact I always found things came back much cleaner then when they were sent in.

The only time I have ever had a problem with service was with my Ricoh XR2s where the power connection is intermittent, and this is due to a well known problem of cameras at that time where power would be lost due to pressure on the tripod mount, from long lenses without their own support. Ricoh could neger get to the bottom of the problem, and I ultimately fixed it myself, but having saiud that the camera never came back in worse condition than when it was sent in, it was always cleaner, even in the view finder